Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Define a sports car, clear this up.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Trav

Post by Trav » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 am

I was reading another thread and a member describes an E85 roadster as a sports car. I have a roadster and define it as a roadster (as sporty as it may be). I always think that a sports car has a roof. Making the car stiffer etc.etc. Short overhangs, minimal distance between wheel arches and upper body line. No extras thrown in keeping it lighter. A decent design effort making the car balanced etc. An engine that makes it shift, but not just shred tyres. But a roof to tie it all together and make it work. If you add weight to make a roadster stiffer, then it is immediately not as sporty. Also I never think of half of the thunder saloons as sports cars, V8 M3's and big AMG's or stupid estate car RS6's.
Mind you racing cars often have no roof. Maybe I should consider the roadie a racing car.
Last edited by Trav on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4MR A.W.

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:53 am

Dictionary definition:-
'a low-built car designed for performance at high speeds, often having a roof that can be folded back'
So it's either :)

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:11 am

From Wikipedia:

A sports car, or sportscar, is a small, usually two-seater automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling. The term "sports car" was used in The Times, London in 1919. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, USA's first known use of the term was in 1928. Sports cars started to become popular during the 1920s.

Sports cars may be spartan or luxurious, but high maneuverability and light weight are requisite. Sports cars are usually aerodynamically shaped (since the 1950s), and have a low center of gravity compared to standard models. Steering and suspension are typically designed for precise control at high speeds. Traditionally sports cars were open roadsters, but closed coupés also started to become popular during the 1930s, and the distinction between a sports car and a grand tourer is not absolute.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:22 am

A roadster is just a type of sports car.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:30 am

i tend to think of a soft top as a sports car. so anything with an unretractable roof. just isnt
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:34 am

Golf is described as a sport, so a sports car must be a car that you can carry golf clubs in :D
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 am

This:
SportsCar - 1.jpg
SportsCar - 1.jpg (418.23 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
:D :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:41 am

Marlon wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 amThis
Nah!
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:18 pm

road warrior wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:30 am i tend to think of a soft top as a sports car. so anything with an unretractable roof. just isnt
Not sure I can agree with that - 911, Cayman, Lotus Evora, Alfa 4C (and 8C), any Ferrari or Lamborghini... The list is endless, and apart from the Cayman (which has the Boxster equivalent) and the Evora, all of these can come in either coupe or convertible format. Do they stop being a sports car just because you can't take the roof off ??
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

JamieZ4C

Post by JamieZ4C » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Bing wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:18 pm
road warrior wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:30 am i tend to think of a soft top as a sports car. so anything with an unretractable roof. just isnt
Not sure I can agree with that - 911, Cayman, Lotus Evora, Alfa 4C (and 8C), any Ferrari or Lamborghini... The list is endless, and apart from the Cayman (which has the Boxster equivalent) and the Evora, all of these can come in either coupe or convertible format. Do they stop being a sports car just because you can't take the roof off ??
Agreed, but I'm sure there must have been more than a little tongue in cheek when he said that!

I think all Zs are sports cars. But some more than others :D

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:17 pm

sports car <- 250 GTB SWB --- Z4 --- M240i cab | 120d cab --- Mondeo --- Multipla -> not a sports car
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:25 pm

of course.. firmly placed, i prefer the Jeremy Clarkson approach to discussion - black and white - im right, your wrong :) :rofl:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:03 pm

A sports car is what you drive when you're a bit of a cad...
terry-thomas-car.jpg
terry-thomas-car.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

redtailed78

Post by redtailed78 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:10 pm

The Zed is 100% a sports car, 2 door, 2 seats, rear wheel drive, lots of performance = sports car :driving:

Although you could open up a can of worms as to where the performance drops when does it stop being a sports car, 2.0, 2.5 etc :fuelfire: , My old mk3 mx5 although being good fun on the corners was painfully slow on the straights and I wouldn't class that car as a sports car...
2006 3.0lSi Sport :driving:
19" 313 alloys
Brembo Brake Upgrade
K&N Panel Filter
Back Box Delete

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:12 pm

having said that.. my definition comes from the mga days and definition, today cars are all high powered and are all capable of being called sports cars, or or gt cars or supercars or any badge you wanna put to it really - i mean.. if you include a roof you can shoehorn in the porsche cayanne, its fast after all, and i feel SOMEONE has taken it to the ring .. so is it ?