Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Philips accident

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:53 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:00 pm
firebobby wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 pm
john-e89 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:26 pm Internet....mobile phone....Jesus h Christ how the f**k did people survive pre and post war....!! :roll: :poke:
Don't know John, what did you do before the war :P :rofl:
Pastry speak to your ‘oppo will you...he’s out of control.... :x
Angry old man you :rofl: :rofl:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by Jembo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:54 pm

I recon he took one for the team to distract everyone from Brexit
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by ronk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:39 am

PDJ wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:41 pm A retest after every every 10 years of holding a driving licence could raise the standard of driving.

Theory and practical.

There are not that many jobs where competence is checked only once at the beginning and then never really check again now the roads are so busy and driving standards slipping downwards this could be a good thing.

In 2014 there was 45.5 million licenses in the uk - your full test every ten years would mean an extra 4.55 million tests a year!
Or 12.5k tests a day every day of the year! I don’t think it could ever happen.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Crazy Harry

Philips accident

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 am

john-e89 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:26 pm
Crazy Harry wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:46 am Calls now for drivers over a 'certain age' to have licenses removed. At least the Duke has others who will drive him. All the other poor buggers that live in rural Norfolk villages have to drive well into their 80's and 90's because there's no other way - no buses or Uber. It's very easy to make sweeping statements when you live in a metropolitan area well served by public transport compared to an area where village shops have closed; its a few miles into town and some communities haven't got off dial up internet yet - and don't get me started about the lack of mobile phone signal - 5 bars when I visit my lad in Coventry 1 bar if I'm lucky in some parts of our house is the best I can expect :thumbsdown:
Internet....mobile phone....Jesus h Christ how the f**k did people survive pre and post war....!! :roll: :poke:
Did the same as everyone else I expect - which is kind of the problem now. Banks have closed branches (12 miles to the nearest branch of my bank now - not even in my nearest market town) and firms insist on sending details/confirmations and purchase transaction codes by SMS the world is internet and smart phone but not everyone has access - if fact there was more coverage in rural India when I visited the other year than in many locations I've been to in the UK. Coverage in the UK seams to be driven by covering a percentage of population - easier in urban areas or along trunk routes rather than in the sticks. My point is an increasing part of managing to keep going in a rural area is being able to keep driving. Personally I'd rather choose to drive with 80+ year people on the roads who are most likely insured; slow and perhaps over cautious in most cases than take my chances with the drunk; drugged up or uninsured lot I have no choice about now.

NickDE

Philips accident

Post by NickDE » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:57 pm

ronk wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:39 am
PDJ wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:41 pm A retest after every every 10 years of holding a driving licence could raise the standard of driving.

Theory and practical.

There are not that many jobs where competence is checked only once at the beginning and then never really check again now the roads are so busy and driving standards slipping downwards this could be a good thing.

In 2014 there was 45.5 million licenses in the uk - your full test every ten years would mean an extra 4.55 million tests a year!
Or 12.5k tests a day every day of the year! I don’t think it could ever happen.
We manage to test all the cars every year. Testing drivers every ten years is not an issue if we decided to just do it.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

BeeEmm

Philips accident

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:21 am

NickDE wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:57 pm We manage to test all the cars every year. Testing drivers every ten years is not an issue if we decided to just do it.
We could start with the group that causes the most serious and fatal accidents, the 17-24 year olds. Oh bugger, they recently past a test. To retest drivers every few years would require a change in law voted for in parliament. The MPs voting would also have to resit tests. Do you honestly think they would vote for that?
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by Jembo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 am

BeeEmm wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:21 am
NickDE wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:57 pm We manage to test all the cars every year. Testing drivers every ten years is not an issue if we decided to just do it.
We could start with the group that causes the most serious and fatal accidents, the 17-24 year olds. Oh bugger, they recently past a test. To retest drivers every few years would require a change in law voted for in parliament. The MPs voting would also have to resit tests. Do you honestly think they would vote for that?
... or, should you have an accident which is 50/50 or your fault, then you need to have a retest.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

BeeEmm

Philips accident

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:38 am

Jembo wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 am ... or, should you have an accident which is 50/50 or your fault, then you need to have a retest.
A court could order that, yes. It happens now. My view is stronger, I believe that if you are involved in an accident, in many cases you could have avoided it, even if the law says not. As an example could the driver who collided with Phillip's car anticipated better that he was about to emerge in front of her, if her driving was at a higher standard? It is all about driver training and awareness and anticipation. If she was driving with dipped headlights, could he have seen her and waited? :poke:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by Nictrix » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:10 am

BeeEmm wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:38 am
Jembo wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 am ... or, should you have an accident which is 50/50 or your fault, then you need to have a retest.
A court could order that, yes. It happens now. My view is stronger, I believe that if you are involved in an accident, in many cases you could have avoided it, even if the law says not. As an example could the driver who collided with Phillip's car anticipated better that he was about to emerge in front of her, if her driving was at a higher standard? It is all about driver training and awareness and anticipation. If she was driving with dipped headlights, could he have seen her and waited? :poke:
That didn't take long to start blaming the other driver :lol:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

BeeEmm

Philips accident

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:33 am

It is not blame, it is a hypothetical case to improve driver awareness and avoid accidents. The clue is in the words 'As an example.' I anticipated your comments, although surprised that it came from someone who may be a motorcyclist.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by Nictrix » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:56 am

BeeEmm wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:33 am It is not blame, it is a hypothetical case to improve driver awareness and avoid accidents. The clue is in the words 'As an example.' I anticipated your comments, although surprised that it came from someone who may be a motorcyclist.
I was kidding. You are right though, how many times has there been an accident that could have been avoided if the innocent party made a better effort to avoid it..
As a biker you have to look out for these type of things as you don't have the luxury of a metal box around you to protect you.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

BeeEmm

Philips accident

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 am

Nictrix wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:56 am I was kidding. You are right though, how many times has there been an accident that could have been avoided if the innocent party made a better effort to avoid it..
As a biker you have to look out for these type of things as you don't have the luxury of a metal box around you to protect you.
:thumbsup:

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:02 am

BeeEmm wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:21 am The MPs voting would also have to resit tests. Do you honestly think they would vote for that?
Diane Abbott couldn't do a two piece jigsaw even if she had a picture on the box never mind pass any other test :roll:

road warrior

Philips accident

Post by road warrior » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:21 am

DONT you think there is enough legislation already ? in a world where we want to punish everybody else for everything else that everybody else does ? in the high and mighty mentality we seem to have developed, punish prosecute ban ect. Are we forgetting this was an accident ? do we really want to punish everything and everyone that dares to step out or inconvenience us in some way ? are you all now perfect ?
In a world where we praise nonentities like the morons in the likes of TOWIE, and feel perfect enough to pass judgment on someone you have never met and will in all likelyhood will never meet ?
Are you annoyed because he is royalty and you feel he has a better life than you ? or are you annoyed because he is still breathing ? or maybe because he has a range rover. None of which are really hanging offences, yet anyway..
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

BeeEmm

Philips accident

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:39 am

road warrior wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:21 am DONT you think there is enough legislation already ? in a world where we want to punish everybody else for everything else that everybody else does ? in the high and mighty mentality we seem to have developed, punish prosecute ban ect. Are we forgetting this was an accident ? do we really want to punish everything and everyone that dares to step out or inconvenience us in some way ? are you all now perfect ?
In a world where we praise nonentities like the morons in the likes of TOWIE, and feel perfect enough to pass judgment on someone you have never met and will in all likelyhood will never meet ?
Are you annoyed because he is royalty and you feel he has a better life than you ? or are you annoyed because he is still breathing ? or maybe because he has a range rover. None of which are really hanging offences, yet anyway..
Calm down, calm down. There is no such thing as 'an accident', even the Police now refer to 'traffic incidents', not accidents. Accidents don't just happen, they are caused. I am in favour of more driver training to cut down on the number of fatalities on British roads, not necessary retesting.