Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Philips accident

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by Nictrix » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:22 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:46 am Calls now for drivers over a 'certain age' to have licenses removed. At least the Duke has others who will drive him. All the other poor buggers that live in rural Norfolk villages have to drive well into their 80's and 90's because there's no other way - no buses or Uber. It's very easy to make sweeping statements when you live in a metropolitan area well served by public transport compared to an area where village shops have closed; its a few miles into town and some communities haven't got off dial up internet yet - and don't get me started about the lack of mobile phone signal - 5 bars when I visit my lad in Coventry 1 bar if I'm lucky in some parts of our house is the best I can expect :thumbsdown:
This might open a can of worms but maybe if people cannot drive and would need public transport to get around they should stay closer to places that offer this instead of out in the sticks.
Also maybe in these out of the way areas if people were not so self reliant, buses, taxi firms or uber would move in and set up business, or local shops would open back up to serve those people.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by ronk » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 pm

Last edited by ronk on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by ronk » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:33 pm

Unfortunately “old age” can often creep up without much notice!

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:40 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:17 am
TitanTim wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:10 pm Sounds like he was just unlucky, pulling out onto a fast road, sun in the eyes. I think both drivers were breathalysed.

A big media fuss over nothing. He's already had a replacement car delivered.

Tim.
:o You can't just go around accusing the Sun like that. ...

They only ever print the facts. :D :exitright: :censored:

Very good :rofl: :rofl:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Crazy Harry

Philips accident

Post by Crazy Harry » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:45 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:22 pm
Crazy Harry wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:46 am Calls now for drivers over a 'certain age' to have licenses removed. At least the Duke has others who will drive him. All the other poor buggers that live in rural Norfolk villages have to drive well into their 80's and 90's because there's no other way - no buses or Uber. It's very easy to make sweeping statements when you live in a metropolitan area well served by public transport compared to an area where village shops have closed; its a few miles into town and some communities haven't got off dial up internet yet - and don't get me started about the lack of mobile phone signal - 5 bars when I visit my lad in Coventry 1 bar if I'm lucky in some parts of our house is the best I can expect :thumbsdown:
This might open a can of worms but maybe if people cannot drive and would need public transport to get around they should stay closer to places that offer this instead of out in the sticks.
Also maybe in these out of the way areas if people were not so self reliant, buses, taxi firms or uber would move in and set up business, or local shops would open back up to serve those people.
Yes its a can of worms ... and sadly not a practical alternative for many old people who have been rooted in their community for a life time. The way bus contracts are issued results in each route supporting its self instead of one company servicing a wider area. My Mam would rather take her chances driving than face isolation in an urban area. The only saving grace might be driver-less cars.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by ben g » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:46 pm

The media have jumped on this story and started printing all sorts of rubbish. It's pretty sad.

Stories such as the prince being a fast driver and being aggressive.

For christ sake, the man was unfortunate to be driving in what appears to be a massive accident blackspot and has paid the price. There are accidents every single day, yet all of a sudden because it's Philip, it's suddenly a problem for older people to drive.

Yes some older people clearly have issues with driving, but it seems this was just an unfortunate accident.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:51 pm

TitanTim wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:10 pm He's already had a replacement car delivered.
Tim.
He must have bloody good insurance, unless its a courtesy car :wink:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by Nictrix » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:19 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:45 pm
Nictrix wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:22 pm
Yes its a can of worms ... and sadly not a practical alternative for many old people who have been rooted in their community for a life time. The way bus contracts are issued results in each route supporting its self instead of one company servicing a wider area. My Mam would rather take her chances driving than face isolation in an urban area. The only saving grace might be driver-less cars.
It doesnt seem to be the way bus contracts are handed out here. As far as I have been told in the past the bus companies have to service an area and part of that might include journeys that are not profitable but to keep the contract for the good well paying routes they must also provide a service to the other areas too.
We have a few local services here that are practically mini buses that travel between villages and towns taking people to the shops and we are not even out in the sticks. These services could be set up anywhere.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by Nictrix » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:20 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 pm.
Got there in the end Ronk :lol:
When are you resitting your test?

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by john-e89 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:26 pm

Internet....mobile phone....Jesus h Christ how the f**k did people survive pre and post war....!! :roll: :poke:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by ronk » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:48 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:20 pm
ronk wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 pm.
Got there in the end Ronk :lol:
When are you resitting your test?
Any time!
I’d have to practice parallel parking tho :D
Last edited by ronk on Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:26 pm
Internet....mobile phone....Jesus h Christ how the f**k did people survive pre and post war....!! :roll: :poke:
Don't know John, what did you do before the war :P :rofl:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by john-e89 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:00 pm

firebobby wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 pm
john-e89 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:26 pm
Don't know John, what did you do before the war :P :rofl:
Pastry speak to your ‘oppo will you...he’s out of control.... :x
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Philips accident

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:09 pm

firebobby wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:51 pm
TitanTim wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:10 pm He's already had a replacement car delivered.
Tim.
He must have bloody good insurance, unless its a courtesy car :wink:
What one wants one gets, what :)

Tim.

PDJ

Philips accident

Post by PDJ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:41 pm

A retest after every every 10 years of holding a driving licence could raise the standard of driving.

Theory and practical.

There are not that many jobs where competence is checked only once at the beginning and then never really check again now the roads are so busy and driving standards slipping downwards this could be a good thing.