Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Update - Uninsured if SORN'd ? - Check yours !

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:00 am

ChrisKnottIns wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:05 pm I've taken some time to look through the policy wordings of all the insurers we use. None require notification if you SORN the vehicle and want full cover to continue but if you do drive in a situation where a tax and MOT is required by law during that period your road cover will not be valid.
I appreciate your response and effort Chris, but wouldn't you come to the same conclusion if reading Admiral's T&C's ? Its only when we asked them direct direct that we got told "No".
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 am

Number5 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:00 am
ChrisKnottIns wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:05 pm I've taken some time to look through the policy wordings of all the insurers we use. None require notification if you SORN the vehicle and want full cover to continue but if you do drive in a situation where a tax and MOT is required by law during that period your road cover will not be valid.
I appreciate your response and effort Chris, but wouldn't you come to the same conclusion if reading Admiral's T&C's ? Its only when we asked them direct direct that we got told "No".
Believe it’s now clear opinions & heresay are irrelevant, as the phone advice a number of us initially received subsequently changed.

Instead, I suggest going forward it’s the responsibility of anyone who may SORN their vehicle to check the insurers terms at the time of inception / renewal, then get it in writing, because it’s clear there will never be one definitive answer.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:47 am

ph001 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:09 am ...slightly off topic Chris, but can you clarify if underwriters are still obliged to cover third parties if for example the car is driven with no MOT? I ask because had a debate with a colleague the other day who was convinced that driving a car on the road with an expired mot could also lead you liable to prosecution for no insurance. I was of the opinion that you still were covered by the minimum required by law.... i.e third party only, even if you had no tax or mot.
There is some case law for this - Bristol Alliance Ltd Partnership v Williams (2011). It was held that in order to comply with Section 145 of the Road Traffic Act which requires a policy to cover any liability which might be incurred as a result of ‘use of the vehicle’, the policy had to be read to include liability against an innocent third party arising out of a deliberate act of the insured.

There was another instance more recently - the policyholder's uninsured son took his girlfriend out for a joyride in his father's vehicle (without the father's knowledge). He was involved in an accident where the girlfriend suffered injuries. The father's insurer had to payout for the injuries to the passenger.

I hope you bet your colleague for money!
Chris Knott Insurance - 0800 917 2274 (or 01424 200477)
Club code: Z4-866
LIKE us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter