Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Update - Uninsured if SORN'd ? - Check yours !

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Uninsured if SORN'd ? - Check yours !

Post by Number5 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Cheers Tim,

I just tried them. Competitive but still no cheaper in the long run.
I've phoned LV for a Multi Car quote and whilst they'll insure a 3.0si and an //MR they wont insure an Alpina, as its not showing on their list !
I then phoned Classic Line who were competitive on the Alpina and happy to do a 5 car Multi car family quote. but wont include my 17yr old son on the policy for his Mini.
So far my cheapest option is to stay with Admiral and needlessly tax the Alpina for a whole year, which breaks out even with moving it but still paying extra for any months I do tax it.

Its basically the 5 cars all in with Admiral for £2000 + £300 Alpina Tax or I move it and pay Admiral £2100 for just 4 cars, £200 for the Alpina elsewhere, and then still have tax to pay for the few months I do use it.

They're increasing their risk by making me tax it (as I may drive it more) and also making me pay the Govt £200 more RFL than I would normally for no logical reason...
Last edited by Number5 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:49 pm

I'm still struggling with the logic of an insurance company voiding insurance if a car is on SORN, surely the risk is massively lowered? :?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:04 pm

MerBrook wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:24 pm Our three cars are currently insured through the BMW car club on a multi car policy . Their brokers are A Plan.
The Alpina is SORN'd at present so after reading the above posts I contacted A Plan today who told me that the policy carries on as was taken out (fully comp), unless we ask them to change it in any way. Also nor do we have to inform them that we have SORN'd the car.
I'm now quite glad that we ditched Admiral and went for the car clubs insurers all be it at the cost of an extra £100.00 or so.
As srhutch is asking of Admiral & I of LV to have this in writing, suggest maybe it’s worth that you do the same... simply because what you were told is almost exactly the same info I received last summer... & now it has changed
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:15 pm

Ewazix wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:49 pm I'm still struggling with the logic of an insurance company voiding insurance if a car is on SORN, surely the risk is massively lowered? :?
I guess the logic may be that they are geared up for on-road incident and claims handling (not that a taxed, permanently parked vehicle wouldn't be subject to similar risks, of course - so still tenuous!). A lot of insurance policymaking and pricing is based on statistical data, so if there isn't a reliable base of data for SORN'd vehicles then that could be another reason they'd be reluctant to provide cover. I'm sure someone will know.

Following this revelation, my car is taxed and BACK ON THE ROAD. :?
IMG_4817.jpg
IMG_4817.jpg (231.24 KiB) Viewed 763 times

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:22 pm

If I hired out items and people were willing to pay me for them yet leave them on the shelf unused I'd be delighted !
Surely its easy safe, money for them.

There is just no logic in insurance these days.
I tried to add myself on to my 84 year old mothers £600 policy last year. (I'm a 53 yr old Advanced Driver, Full Bonus, No previous Accidents or convictions.) They wanted an extra £200.
I've also just taken myself off my 17yr old son's Mini Policy, as it reduced the premium by £50. They said statistically named drivers have more accidents than the Policyholder, therefore I was a greater risk. Surely if we are both in the car I'm a lower risk driving it than he is ??
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's

MerBrook

Post by MerBrook » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:55 pm

Jembo wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:04 pm
MerBrook wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:24 pm Our three cars are currently insured through the BMW car club on a multi car policy . Their brokers are A Plan.
The Alpina is SORN'd at present so after reading the above posts I contacted A Plan today who told me that the policy carries on as was taken out (fully comp), unless we ask them to change it in any way. Also nor do we have to inform them that we have SORN'd the car.
I'm now quite glad that we ditched Admiral and went for the car clubs insurers all be it at the cost of an extra £100.00 or so.
As srhutch is asking of Admiral & I of LV to have this in writing, suggest maybe it’s worth that you do the same... simply because what you were told is almost exactly the same info I received last summer... & now it has changed
Good idea Jembo. Worth getting some clarity on the subject and peace of mind. I shall try tomorrow if I get time.
Alpina Roadster S Lux No.169, E86 Coupe Si Sport, Gone E86 Coupe Si SE

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:58 pm

Number5 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:22 pm If I hired out items and people were willing to pay me for them yet leave them on the shelf unused I'd be delighted !
Surely its easy safe, money for them.

There is just no logic in insurance these days.
I tried to add myself on to my 84 year old mothers £600 policy last year. (I'm a 53 yr old Advanced Driver, Full Bonus, No previous Accidents or convictions.) They wanted an extra £200.
I've also just taken myself off my 17yr old son's Mini Policy, as it reduced the premium by £50. They said statistically named drivers have more accidents than the Policyholder, therefore I was a greater risk. Surely if we are both in the car I'm a lower risk driving it than he is ??
Same here Al, removed myself from my sons policy on his Astra VXR and the cost dropped. Consider yourself doddery mate :oldman:
What with the councils trying to get motorist off the road too, we will all be walking soon or returning to horse and carts :wink:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:34 pm

Perhaps our resident Insurance expert can clarify the thought process behind Underwriters ?
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Maybe the government saw how much money they were losing with vehicles being sorned so put pressure on the insurance companies to change their policy.
This would only really make sense though if the insurance companies made this common knowledge.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:29 pm

MrPT wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:15 pm
Ewazix wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:49 pm I'm still struggling with the logic of an insurance company voiding insurance if a car is on SORN, surely the risk is massively lowered? :?
I guess the logic may be that they are geared up for on-road incident and claims handling (not that a taxed, permanently parked vehicle wouldn't be subject to similar risks, of course - so still tenuous!). A lot of insurance policymaking and pricing is based on statistical data, so if there isn't a reliable base of data for SORN'd vehicles then that could be another reason they'd be reluctant to provide cover. I'm sure someone will know.

Following this revelation, my car is taxed and BACK ON THE ROAD. :?

IMG_4817.jpg
Um, being kept in a garage at home is on my policy, if it's there for three icy, dark and slippery months, taxed or untaxed makes no odd's to the risk. Anyway checking my Saga policy there is a long list of obscure policy no-no's that are not covered or have to be notified (including stickers in a window being a modification!) but SORN isn't one of them.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 pm

MerBrook wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:55 pm
Jembo wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:04 pm
Good idea Jembo. Worth getting some clarity on the subject and peace of mind. I shall try tomorrow if I get time.
Well I now have it in writing from Admiral that my car is insured whilst declared off the road.

:tumbleweed: :scratchhead: :idunno:

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:30 pm

srhutch wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 pm Well I now have it in writing from Admiral that my car is insured whilst declared off the road.
:tumbleweed: :scratchhead: :idunno:
And I have the opposite in writing from Admiral!

The main crux of the email sent to me this afternoon, , :-

I have investigated the above and you called on 08/01/19 and spoke to our Renewals agent Andrea Pemberton to query if we would insure your vehicle 111OJX if it is SORN. Andrea confirmed 111OJX would need to be legally taxed for us to cover this as a vehicle cannot be SORN and taxed. There are other insurance companies who offer this, which is called laid up insurance. We have made a business decision not to offer this type of insurance. It is something we are looking in to, therefore may be changed in the future. I understand you may not agree with this decision however it is not something we currently offer.

As per our conversation dated 09/01/19, I confirmed your insurance is due on 31/01/19. This will be automatically renewed as per our renewal documents sent to you by e-mail on 05/01/19.
I would like to confirm I have not removed your vehicle 111OJX as you requested. However, if you wish to continue with the insurance for this vehicle, it will need to be taxed. If you wish to SORN this vehicle, the vehicle will need to be removed. Please contact us by 31/01/19 as we will need to amend your renewal if you decide to remove the vehicle.

Yours sincerely

Samantha John
Customer Assurance Executive

...So there you go ! :popcorn:
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:55 pm

I can only think it’s to do with renewing whilst sorn.

Either way it would be nice to have a definitive answer.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:26 am

My first full-time job in 1977 was at Cornhill Insurance (that later got taken over by Allianz).

Back in those days they offered laid-up cover, and protected NCD at no cost after 7 claim free years. Windscreen cover with no effect upon NCD and no excess. Up to 4 cars on one policy (so multi-cover isn't exactly a new invention)!

But when my nephew had an accident last year in his E46 325i Sport Touring, Admiral declared it a Cat S based on the photos from his phone - they didn't bother sending anyone to look at it! Still he got a repair done for less than what they paid, so f**k them for being lazy/disinterested!

With the best will in the world it looks like Samantha John is just another call-centre monkey who has no knowledge of the business or any discretion to move away from the script - but at least you have it in writing!

It just makes me glad I left that "business" many years ago. :headbang:

Surely it's time for searching alternatives?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 am

As my daily the Zed isn't SORNed but my Caterham is. Checked with my insurers this morning and its still covered fully comp which is good news. To be honest I wasn't happy with the idea of having to reduce cover to TPFT. I trip on the step into the garage and dent the bonnet and the fully comp policy pays repairs; TPFT and I have to pay.

For what its worth my insurers have no idea why cover is removed or reduced on SORN - can Chris Knott provide any explanation?