Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Update - Uninsured if SORN'd ? - Check yours !

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
BRC

Uninsured if SORN'd ? - Check yours !

Post by BRC » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 am

This underscores what I have said all along in regards insurers, they make it up as they go along. Frankly a bit like speed camera's, insurance is legalised robbery.
Reminds me when my daughter had her car broken into, no claim made but advised the insurer nonetheless. Upon renewal and because of this solitary incident, the road had been classified as a "theft hot spot". Needless to say she moved on to another insurer.

Sold a pair of soft top side covers and now retired.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Uninsured if SORN'd ? - Check yours !

Post by Number5 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Well.....
Complete U turn today. I referred them to SRHutch's email this morning and a few hours later I got a call from the very same Department at Admiral that turned me down yesterday, and they've now agreed to fully cover me, even whilst SORN'd. (Not even just Fire & Theft. I thought they'd at least exclude Third party road cover if it wasn't taxed!)

I asked if this was a general U turn across the board and they said, no. It was a one-off in light of the evidence I had provided, so it seems its each for their own now !
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:11 pm

There obviously is no set policy, otherwise they would have said no to you and then contacted me again. Be interesting to see if their website, t&c etc get updated going forward.

I doubt it though.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 pm

This scam needs bringing to the attention of BBC watchdog programme :fuelfire:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:55 pm

I was thinking about Martin Lewis. But yes watchdog and the insurance ombudsman even for those hav8ng insurance cancelled without warning she’ll we say.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Unless it's stated in the policy, schedules or T&Cs that the car must be taxed I cannot see a refusal to pay-out on that basis could be upheld. They can't just make up exemptions after the claim or what next? The car wasn't clean, it wasn't serviced by BMW, I was wearing a hat? :?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:19 pm

Does it say in T&Cs that the car must be road legal?
They could say that without tax the car is not road legal.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:01 am

Nictrix wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:19 pm Does it say in T&Cs that the car must be road legal?
They could say that without tax the car is not road legal.
No, road worthy condition, but not road legal. Car is legal off the road if declared as sorn. They can’t have it both ways.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:02 am

Ewazix wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 pm Unless it's stated in the policy, schedules or T&Cs that the car must be taxed I cannot see a refusal to pay-out on that basis could be upheld. They can't just make up exemptions after the claim or what next? The car wasn't clean, it wasn't serviced by BMW, I was wearing a hat? :?
That’s the view I put forward to them, referencing the t&c of my policy and the sorn page of their website that’s states you might be able to reduce the level of insurance cover whilst declare sorn.

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 am

Interesting one. I'm not aware of any hard and fast rules except that if you haven't got insurance on a vehicle it must be SORN'd according to the Continuous Insurance Enforcement. Additionally, most car insurance policies will state that not having a current MOT Certificate (if required by law) would invalidate any claims - nothing about VED though.

Certainly with us, insurance can continue even when a vehicle is on SORN but by definition there'll be no road risk cover during that period.

Hope that helps.
Chris Knott Insurance - 0800 917 2274 (or 01424 200477)
Club code: Z4-866
LIKE us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:15 am

ChrisKnottIns wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 am Interesting one. I'm not aware of any hard and fast rules except that if you haven't got insurance on a vehicle it must be SORN'd according to the Continuous Insurance Enforcement. Additionally, most car insurance policies will state that not having a current MOT Certificate (if required by law) would invalidate any claims - nothing about VED though.

Certainly with us, insurance can continue even when a vehicle is on SORN but by definition there'll be no road risk cover during that period.

Hope that helps.
Thank you. When you say 'with us', can you vouch that the above is the case for all Companies you broke for ?
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am

ChrisKnottIns wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 am Interesting one. I'm not aware of any hard and fast rules except that if you haven't got insurance on a vehicle it must be SORN'd according to the Continuous Insurance Enforcement. Additionally, most car insurance policies will state that not having a current MOT Certificate (if required by law) would invalidate any claims - nothing about VED though.

Hope that helps.
I don't think the issue is entirely around 'road risk'.

Firstly having to inform your insurers is one more task. An "automatically covered for road risk if taxed - unless going for or returning from prebooked MOT" would be less hassle.

Secondly - and perhaps more importantly would you require policy holders to inform you of SORN? Would you then reduce cover to TPFT for cars on SORN?

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:05 pm

I've taken some time to look through the policy wordings of all the insurers we use. None require notification if you SORN the vehicle and want full cover to continue but if you do drive in a situation where a tax and MOT is required by law during that period your road cover will not be valid.
Chris Knott Insurance - 0800 917 2274 (or 01424 200477)
Club code: Z4-866
LIKE us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:43 pm

ChrisKnottIns wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:05 pm I've taken some time to look through the policy wordings of all the insurers we use. None require notification if you SORN the vehicle and want full cover to continue but if you do drive in a situation where a tax and MOT is required by law during that period your road cover will not be valid.
Thanks for your response - sure that we make a few people happy :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:09 am

Crazy Harry wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am but if you do drive in a situation where a tax and MOT is required by law during that period your road cover will not be valid.
...slightly off topic Chris, but can you clarify if underwriters are still obliged to cover third parties if for example the car is driven with no MOT? I ask because had a debate with a colleague the other day who was convinced that driving a car on the road with an expired mot could also lead you liable to prosecution for no insurance. I was of the opinion that you still were covered by the minimum required by law.... i.e third party only, even if you had no tax or mot.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.