Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

eBay again.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

eBay again.

Post by TitanTim » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:31 am

Hi all,

Thought I would end the year with a post :)

I spotted a guitar on eBay yesterday, listed as brand new unused and one I'd been searching for for months. The seller was a little unsure in the listing regarding payment as mentioned cash or bank transfer but it did have PayPal as a buying option. I contacted the seller who said he wanted to do a bank transfer as he would get stung with PayPal fees etc. There was no way I was going to do a bank transfer for 1200 quid outside of eBay so said thanks but if you change your mind on PayPal I would buy there and then. Seller came back a little while later and said very reluctantly they would do PayPal and did a lot of moaning. Bought the guitar etc. Some time later seller came back with an eBay screen shot and saying f@@k eBay f@@k PayPal. Looks like eBay have withheld payment to the seller for 21 days. Didn't know what this meant so looked on eBay and it means this is because the seller has low feedback and past selling history, so basically to protect the buyer and to ensure the seller sends the goods.

The seller guilt emailed me again this morning to say I would get the guitar on Friday however they wouldn't be getting the funds for a few weeks from eBay and will have pay exorbitant fees etc etc and thanking me for trusting him blah blah. Well I did say it was up to them re PayPal but said I doubt many people would do a bank transfer just like that to a stranger for over a grand. Seller was very cheesed off but glad now as a buyer that protection is there. I don't know what people are thinking of at times.

Tim.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

eBay again.

Post by Angie4m » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:43 am

Beware that if you ever have to get money back from a failed eBay transaction PayPal also hold the money for 7 days in the buyers account as I found out when I bought a MacBook that never appeared. Had to raise a case and eventually I was sent the funds but when I tried to withdraw them I was told that they were held for ‘security and checking’ end result was I got my money back but I was also £800 out of pocket for 2 and a half months by the time eBay and PayPal did their thing.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

eBay again.

Post by TitanTim » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:57 am

Angie4m wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:43 am Beware that if you ever have to get money back from a failed eBay transaction PayPal also hold the money for 7 days in the buyers account as I found out when I bought a MacBook that never appeared. Had to raise a case and eventually I was sent the funds but when I tried to withdraw them I was told that they were held for ‘security and checking’ end result was I got my money back but I was also £800 out of pocket for 2 and a half months by the time eBay and PayPal did their thing.
Eek thanks for the tip Angie, hopefully won't come to that, seller has marked the item as being dispatched so hopefully all will be good. Only reason I wanted to use PayPal is PayPal Credit are doing 4 months at 0% which is useful. The seller has a number of guitars up for sale and the 40 feedbacks he's received are all positive so hopefully it will be ok. I just didn't get all the moaning and expect a bank transfer outside of eBay. He shouldn't selling on there if can't accept the rules.

Tim.