Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Camera van questions.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
MerBrook

Camera van questions.

Post by MerBrook » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:17 pm

This morning a friend was heading out of Evesham towards Tewkesbury on a nice straight piece of road and overtook a car, he wasn’t doing a silly speed probably just a little over the limit.
When he was overtaking the car he saw parked a1/4 to 1/2 a mile away on his side of the carriageway a camera van parked up and the rear of the van and the camera facing him.
My friend would like to know wether if the camera takes its photographic evidence, either of the cars driving away from it as a Gasto does or coming towards it as a Truvelo fixed camera does. Also what is the effective range of these cameras.
If anyone knows the answers my friend would be grateful.
:wink: :thumbsup: :driving:
Alpina Roadster S Lux No.169, E86 Coupe Si Sport, Gone E86 Coupe Si SE

Bottom

Camera van questions.

Post by Bottom » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:23 pm

Bad luck for your "friend", unfortunately they work like a Truvelo, rather than a Gatso. If they're still working to the old chief constable guidelines of 10% +2mph of the limit then maybe your friend will be OK?

They're accurate to 2000m or some thing like that, so if you can see one it can see you unfortunately.

I think your friend has 2 weeks to wait for the paperwork if they're the registered keeper of the car in question.

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Camera van questions.

Post by Darren Slone » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:45 pm

As Bottom has said, if your friend :wink: could see the van then it can see him, generally 10% +/- 2 mph although iirc some forces can have Zero tolerance, look on the forces website and the tolerance will be on there, I got caught last year and checked tolerences on the North Yorkshire site :driving: :thumbsup:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

MerBrook

Camera van questions.

Post by MerBrook » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:49 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Bottom, that answers the questions a little too well unfortunately. Surprised they work as a Truvelo works, always wondered.
Darren, my friends speed wasn't overly fast so may well come within the 10%+/-2 mph ACPO guidance as you suggest which the West Mercia force appear to operate too.
Once again thanks for your replies. :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Camera van questions.

Post by buzyg » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:04 pm

I think they have up to 6 months to bring a prosection. However, as said, normally something will arrive within a few weeks, if the got him.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Camera van questions.

Post by Number5 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:09 pm

Your (friends) only hope Tim is that the focal spot was aligned to the left carriageway rather than the overtaking side of the road at the point of overtaking.

I went to a talk by a motorcyclist a year or so back and he was explaining that they actually have a trigger to pull which fires 34 pulses of beam in approx 1 second and the gun then takes a random 6 of those 34 to calculate the average speed. . With the hand helds he did say it's a matter of almost "getting a shot in' so if the overtake was not on the calibrated target spot your friend may be ok ....clinging to a little hope
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

MerBrook

Camera van questions.

Post by MerBrook » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Number5 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:09 pm Your (friends) only hope Tim is that the focal spot was aligned to the left carriageway rather than the overtaking side of the road at the point of overtaking.

I went to a talk by a motorcyclist a year or so back and he was explaining that they actually have a trigger to pull which fires 34 pulses of beam in approx 1 second and the gun then takes a random 6 of those 34 to calculate the average speed. . With the hand helds he did say it's a matter of almost "getting a shot in' so if the overtake was not on the calibrated target spot your friend may be ok ....clinging to a little hope
Alan, judging by your reply the camera is triggered by a laser beam which is fired at the oncoming car?If this is the case then my friends radar/laser detector didn’t pick up any “laser scatter” .Which would be odd and it was working.
At the end of the day if you get caught it’s tough and not a lot of point worrying. But it’s interesting to find out how these things work.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Camera van questions.

Post by Jembo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:01 pm

The Highway Code does state ‘move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking...’

It does not ‘specifically’ state when overtaking it has to be done within the speed limit, just safely.

I mention it as my brother-in law, ex-traffic, pointed this out many years ago.

If you want to fight it, you’ll need to employ Mr. Loophole... Nick Freeman
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Camera van questions.

Post by patriot66 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:22 pm

I am reliably informed by someone in the Lancashire Constabulary that there about 6 commonly used types of speed camera and the maximum range is approximately 1200m/ 0.75miles, but they rely on line of sight. Not surprisingly they cannot see round bends, over brows or through solid objects or other vehicles :thumbsup:
Also, provide you are not going 'stupid' fast then the driver that reacts to the camera van and slows down is less likely to receive a nasty letter in the post :wink:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Camera van questions.

Post by mr wilks » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 pm

patriot66 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:22 pm I am reliably informed by someone in the Lancashire Constabulary that there about 6 commonly used types of speed camera and the maximum range is approximately 1200m/ 0.75miles, but they rely on line of sight. Not surprisingly they cannot see round bends, over brows or through solid objects or other vehicles :thumbsup:
Also, provide you are not going 'stupid' fast then the driver that reacts to the camera van and slows down is less likely to receive a nasty letter in the post :wink:
The latest introduction of 8 new camera vans in Lancashire ( May 2018 ) has made it virtually impossible to spot them & hit the brakes as the range has been radically increased , they also operatre both front & rear so catch traffic in both directions & not only speeders , the cameras are equipped to also catch those on phones or without seatbelts , they also come in rather bland colour scheme now so they don't even stand out :thumbsdown: pity they don't show the same zealous attitude to other criminal activity :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Camera van questions.

Post by patriot66 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:03 am

mr wilks wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 pm
patriot66 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:22 pm I am reliably informed by someone in the Lancashire Constabulary that there about 6 commonly used types of speed camera and the maximum range is approximately 1200m/ 0.75miles, but they rely on line of sight. Not surprisingly they cannot see round bends, over brows or through solid objects or other vehicles :thumbsup:
The latest introduction of 8 new camera vans in Lancashire ( May 2018 ) has made it virtually impossible to spot them & hit the brakes as the range has been radically increased , they also operatre both front & rear so catch traffic in both directions & not only speeders , the cameras are equipped to also catch those on phones or without seatbelts , they also come in rather bland colour scheme now so they don't even stand out :thumbsdown: pity they don't show the same zealous attitude to other criminal activity :wink:
I will be seeing 'someone' later this week and will see what else they are willing to divulge on this subject :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Hunter

Camera van questions.

Post by Hunter » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:37 am

Im just wondering, does a single camera in a van cover more than one lane? If not, which lane is the camera likely to be focused on?
E89 S Drive 35iS

noiseboy72

Camera van questions.

Post by noiseboy72 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:15 pm

The current vans can only cover one lane, but have the camera and associated laser emitter and receiver mounted on a pan head - so that it can be manually moved quickly from lane to lane.

The favorite spot to sit is on the inside of a fast bend - such that they are difficult to spot until the last minute.

We have some of those local speed recording volunteers in a nearby village. Armed with a police issued speed gun, a clip board and hi viz jacket, they record all those vehicles they adjudge to be entering their village at excessive speed. Their favored spot is a pub car park on the outside of a sweeping bend about 30 metres inside the 30 zone. Now, of course I don't agree with speeding in a village, but these vigilantes are not really helping themselves . I do find therefore that a good place to need to "clear the cobwebs" is by spinning around in the pub car park, disengaging traction control and dumping the clutch at at about 5000 revs... I am quite sure the combination of fumes, noise, dust and shed tyre rubber adds to their day and there's nothing they can do about it, as I won't hit 30 before the limit changes :evil:
E85 2.5si Sport in dark blue. Calibre CC S wheels

What could possibly go wrong!

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Camera van questions.

Post by Marlon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:46 pm

noiseboy72 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:15 pm . . . I do find therefore that a good place to need to "clear the cobwebs" is by spinning around in the pub car park, disengaging traction control and dumping the clutch at at about 5000 revs... I am quite sure the combination of fumes, noise, dust and shed tyre rubber adds to their day and there's nothing they can do about it, as I won't hit 30 before the limit changes :evil:
Forum name's making sense now :wink:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Camera van questions.

Post by buzyg » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Marlon wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:46 pm
noiseboy72 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:15 pm . . . I do find therefore that a good place to need to "clear the cobwebs" is by spinning around in the pub car park, disengaging traction control and dumping the clutch at at about 5000 revs... I am quite sure the combination of fumes, noise, dust and shed tyre rubber adds to their day and there's nothing they can do about it, as I won't hit 30 before the limit changes :evil:
Forum name's making sense now :wink:
:lol: :rofl: :thumbsup: