Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hive Heating

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Heating

Post by TitanTim » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi all,

Anyone use a Hive? I've been using it for over 3 years and been generally pleased with it, had to replace a themostat due to it eating batteries but apart from that ok. However the past month or so it seems to have gone pearshaped to a point of thinking of getting rid. Seems to be alot of issues with devices going offline lately when looking at various forums. I've had a few smart plugs go offline and the heating went offline one day so couldn't put it on when away from home so came back to a cold house. Real issue started around 2 weeks ago which I think coincided with a mobile app update. I found then on the app the interior house temp was stuck on 19.5C. Contacted Hive support who suggested re-pairing the boiler receiver as they said it hadn't been sending out temperature readings for 24hrs. I re-paired the receiver with the hub and thermostat which sorted the temp issue in the app and all seemed good. Now I seem to have an issue where when you set the target temp using either thermostat or the app to say 20C, the boiler fires up and runs fine but it won't reach the target temp i.e. the heating shuts off at 19.7C not 20C. With latent heat the temp will go over 20C so not a big deal. However what is happening now is when the temp drops back to 19.7C the boiler fires up but shuts down again in less than a munute and won't reach the target of 20C. Its like the boiler is thinking the real target is 19.7C and not the 20C set on the thermostat. If I turn the themostat up to say 22C, boiler fires up and runs fine but again it shuts off at 21.7C. Its like the calibration on the thermostat is out. I also think its over reading by upto 3 degrees when compared to my smart meter and a thermometer I keep next to the thermostat so something isn't right.

Just wandered if anyone is having similar issues?

Cheers,

Tim. .

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Heating

Post by ben g » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:48 pm

I've had hive in both my houses over the last few years. Can't say I've experienced the issues you describe. I have the plug sockets too and haven't had a problem with those either.

Either your thermostat is faulty or perhaps your WiFi connection is ropey? Seems strange that it randomly goes offline. Mine is always active and fires up instantly, even when I use the mobile app.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

srhutch

Hive Heating

Post by srhutch » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Had mine in this house for over two years and no problems.

As above I’d check the WiFi signal.

Confused®

Hive Heating

Post by Confused® » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:04 pm

Nope same here. no problems at all.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Heating

Post by TitanTim » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:49 pm

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

Wifi signal is fine as far as I know, everything else is working fine that runs off it. Do you all use the App for settimg temps or using the thermostat. The times its been offline is when using the App and I've had to delete the App a few times and reload it before everything showed as being online. I contacted Hive Support last night by e-mail and Facebook regarding the temp issue but they've not come back to me, they usually get back via Facebook same day but I expect they don't know the answer to my question. I've asked if the Thermostat might be faulty, I don't think the thermostat is especially hight tech as I'm led to believe it just uses metal strips to detect temperature changes. Eveything has stayed online the past week so really just the eratic temperature problem. I will have a go and rebooting the boiler receiver over the weekend and pairing again with the thermostat and see if that helps.

Tim.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Heating

Post by markplant » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Got mine same time as hutch, I had the same issue with the stat eating batteries after the first set had run for 2 yes I swapped for same type but would only last a week, new stat was sent out f.o.c.
I have a motion sensor which brings on garage lights an alerts me that someone has gone in there, but the alerts have stopped working , but if you go in the log it shows the sensor was activated, tried for ages to resolve this but it's never got back to working every time
Never had your issue tho,
Wish I'd looked in to it more as the hive range seems so far behind some of the others
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

srhutch

Hive Heating

Post by srhutch » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:22 pm

I remember having chats about the lights.

I have one in our porch. Turns on at dusk and off at predetermined time using IFTT to determine dusk.

Others might have more features, but not sure who we’ll last person in the house works with 4 peps.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Heating

Post by TitanTim » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:25 pm

markplant wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:00 pm Got mine same time as hutch, I had the same issue with the stat eating batteries after the first set had run for 2 yes I swapped for same type but would only last a week, new stat was sent out f.o.c.
I have a motion sensor which brings on garage lights an alerts me that someone has gone in there, but the alerts have stopped working , but if you go in the log it shows the sensor was activated, tried for ages to resolve this but it's never got back to working every time
Never had your issue tho,
Wish I'd looked in to it more as the hive range seems so far behind some of the others
Thanks Mark, had the same issue with the Thermostat and battery life and Hive replaced it but I'm not confident they last very long, first one was 18 months and the current one is about that age now. I have one motion sensor but that went offline and couldn't get it to pair again so had to ask Hive to delete it from my account, once they did that I was able to get it online again, however it does give false alerts. I was going to get their leak detector but after reading poor reviews and the false alerts it gives I've gone with a couple of Honeywell Leak Detectors which seem good pieces of kit.

Tim.

Wildfire

Hive Heating

Post by Wildfire » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:52 am

Got the Mk2 thermostat, loads of the bulbs, door sensors and plugs and no real issues unless the servers go down.

I have heard that after the first battery change some of the thermostats can start eating batteries.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Heating

Post by TitanTim » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks for that, noticed now that the boiler isn't firing up according to the schedule times either, so this morning it was 7 minutes late :? Have to love technology.

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Heating

Post by TitanTim » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:44 pm

OK update :) Paired the boiler receiver back up with the thermostat and the hub, only took me me 2 hours as the Hive Guide says to reset the thermostat to factory settings when paring with the receiver but when I did that it just went into a continuous seach over and over and the receiver also seemed to be having trouble talking to the hub, what a pain to say the least. Eventiually it all seemed to pair up, glad it did as the house was getting cold. Looks like its fixed the reaching the heating target issue and the heating is now turning off at the set thermostat temperature, however within the app and online dashboard its gone back to the original problem that started all of this that the interior temperature has now frozen so isn't fluctuating :headbang: I've given up :x So long as the heating comes on and goes off, it will have to do.

Tim.

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Heating

Post by ranski » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Heating

Post by ronk » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:02 pm

I struggle to see what the advantages of being to control the heating system remotely. I find a timer and a thermostat work.

If I leave the house for the day I just turn the ‘stat down to 16c to keep the chill off.

Am I missing the point?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Heating

Post by TitanTim » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks for the link, hadn't seen that one, so subscribed, I've been posting on Hive Community Support, I contacted Hive by e-mail and Facebook messenger last FRiday but haven't responded.

I'm finding the app and online dashboard is having a mind of its own now, interior temp is erratic and saying the heating is on when it isn't, if I open the app it doesn't stay with the manual setting when last set and erractically goes to schedule and vice versa, definitely to cock :(

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Heating

Post by TitanTim » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:53 pm

ronk wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:02 pm I struggle to see what the advantages of being to control the heating system remotely. I find a timer and a thermostat work.

If I leave the house for the day I just turn the ‘stat down to 16c to keep the chill off.

Am I missing the point?
I don't put the heating on when away during the day Ron, just set it to frost protect and depending when I'm going to be home I'll switch the heating on remotely, just gives you more flexibility if you know you won't be home when a heating schedule kicks in, for me no point in heating an empty house and if I'm late home its just wasted heat.

Tim.