Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Would you change your vote ?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Vornwend

Post by Vornwend » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Why do the EU hold all the aces? - because they are united and we are divided and much, much bigger than us seems the obvious answer :wink:

On trade - whilst its true that we import more from them than they export to us the value in % terms is the other way around - we export around 13.5% of our total economy's value to them but import only around 3-4% of theirs. The value to us is being part of a tariff free customs union, on our door step, that has a population of >500 million. Being a member of such a large trading block also allows us to be party to great trade deals that we simply wouldn't have the leverage to negotiate on our own. The UK has benefited massively from membership. I grew up in the 70's so was too young to really notice the economy but its clear from the historical record that we were on in decline before joining and have improved massively since.

On EU State - We don't have to join the Euro,we don't have to join an EU Army (if such a thing comes to pass), we don't have to be a member of the Schengen area. We do have to concede freedom of movement but that has been a huge benefit to our economy! Of course being a member of this huge trading agreement brings obligations to follow a common set of rules - you wouldn't expect anything else would you? These rules are designed to promote fair trade, workers rights, consumer and environmental protections etc. We would want and need them even if we were not part of the EU.

I honestly don't believe people voted to be worse off and I have yet to hear a single argument that can explain just exactly which EU law they would like to change or that is doing us any harm. To bring an element of realism in here, does anyone think we can just throw the rule book out AND get a free trade deal with the EU?

A lot of the debate quite rightly centres on the economy but lets not forget that some parts of our Union voted to remain and that leaving risks the break up of it - is that what we wanted?

We have been let down by politicians and the media who very convincingly sold us the lie that it would all be easy and that we could stroll into the sunlit uplands of empire past. Endless sloganising designed to stop us thinking - "Take back control", "Brexit means Brexit", "You lost get over it", "Project Fear", "No deal is better than a bad deal" etc etc. It seems to me politics is broken and its very unclear how it can be fixed. It seems sensible to stop now and think again rather than plough on to an uncertain future that satisfies no one.
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green

Vornwend

Post by Vornwend » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:06 pm

road warrior wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:26 am Dammit, I said I wouldn't get involved :headbang:
I know that feeling! :lol:
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:43 pm

road warrior wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:26 am Dammit, I said I wouldn't get involved :headbang:
Your post count says thanks...

If after 2 years it’s now obvious Europe won’t agree to a better deal - otherwise every EU country will be queuing up to renegotiate theirs - do you really believe that any extension will get anywhere, infamous Moggy or no Moggy...
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:35 pm

I can understand why Theresa May wants to delay the vote on Brexit in the Commons
Who wants to move house just before Christmas :roll:

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Dav the wheel nut wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:35 pm I can understand why Theresa May wants to delay the vote on Brexit in the Commons
Might be an eviction the way things are going :fuelfire:

Lifer 54

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Jembo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:01 pm
Dav the wheel nut wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:35 pm I can understand why Theresa May wants to delay the vote on Brexit in the Commons
She’d probably make a hash of that as well, then delay it, then try to clarify what the eviction meant :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:05 pm
Jembo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:01 pm
She’d probably make a hash of that as well, then delay it, then try to clarify what the eviction meant :P
Rob
either way, she is toast, she wont survive this
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Buckley06

Post by Buckley06 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Please check out my new project.
B06 gear knob and brake lever set.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=109279

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 pm

Pity the Irish had their arms twisted behind their backs, they voted not to join. But that's not what the Euro masters wanted to hear...'silly little people, what do they know, so they had to vote again until they got the correct outcome :thumbsdown:

We had a DEMOCRATIC vote and at the time of the vote, were told that if we voted leave, we would leave. Correct?? We voted leave and OMG, not what the Masters wanted to hear, so lets put the fear of god up these idiots... because us leavers are seen as idiots by most of the remain camp, MP's, and BBC (so Superior)
Just think if this had been France who had voted leave, Christ, just imagine the riots if they were told they were wrong with their vote :fuelfire:
I bet there is another vote, if so, I will vote leave again. Democracy at its best :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Pastry

Post by Pastry » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:34 pm

firebobby wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 pm ... because us leavers are seen as idiots
It’s not just that Fred, there’s loads of reasons we see you like that :poke: :)
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Pastry wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:34 pm
firebobby wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 pm ... because us leavers are seen as idiots
It’s not just that Fred, there’s loads of reasons we see you like that :poke: :)
Sorry puff, I can't find the words for your reply, so :telloff: :wkr: :shutup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:41 pm

I think you really want to see him blow a fuse Paul....

So Fred, in a democracy, when the country votes democratically for a leavers government to broker the deal... & the other EU side says F”””” off, you wanted it so this is what it costs..... what should we do?

Most importantly, why would the EU want to give us a better deal which will cost them more?

I accepted the vote, hardliners like yourself want to leave at any cost.... but there’s many (rightly or wrongly) who believe the deal will leave them much worse off.

With a government that’s failed to deliver & run out of time, the only democratic way is a vote for a hard Brexit, May’s Brexit or remain - where hard & May’s brexit votes must be added together to confirm commitment to leave

Lifer 54

Buckley06

Post by Buckley06 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:15 pm

Jembo wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:41 pm
I think you really want to see him blow a fuse Paul....

So Fred, in a democracy, when the country votes democratically for a leavers government to broker the deal... & the other EU side says F”””” off, you wanted it so this is what it costs..... what should we do?

Most importantly, why would the EU want to give us a better deal which will cost them more?

I accepted the vote, hardliners like yourself want to leave at any cost.... but there’s many (rightly or wrongly) who believe the deal will leave them much worse off.

With a government that’s failed to deliver & run out of time, the only democratic way is a vote for a hard Brexit, May’s Brexit or remain - where hard & May’s brexit votes must be added together to confirm commitment to leave

Couldn't of said it better myself, I accepted the result. Even if though the cost so far has been four price increases as all of our materials come from Germany.

So far we are still getting the bad end of the deal.
The pound is so weak and fragile. I'm just waiting the huge interest rate increases that will be coming next year.
Final nail and all that jazz.
Please check out my new project.
B06 gear knob and brake lever set.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=109279

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Funny how everyone puts the volatile exchange rate costs solely down to Brexit...in 2008 and 2010 the rate was much lower than it is today....yes, but.....yes, but.....It's pathetic that people predict catastrophe, typically DailMail reading middle-class Brits, much as they did in 2016, yet all the banks are still here and BMW, Mercedes, Audi all still sell their cars here. In the real world it'll be just one more piece of paper to complete to bring some product in.....and shock horror we seem to do that ok with product from China and the US. So, if your business is fully reliant on being in the EU, then in reality you have a s**t business.

People are the problem here, if we all said, ok let's get on with it, nothing would really change.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:44 pm Funny how everyone puts the volatile exchange rate costs solely down to Brexit...in 2008 and 2010 the rate was much lower than it is today....yes, but.....yes, but.....It's pathetic that people predict catastrophe, typically DailMail reading middle-class Brits, much as they did in 2016, yet all the banks are still here and BMW, Mercedes, Audi all still sell their cars here. In the real world it'll be just one more piece of paper to complete to bring some product in.....and shock horror we seem to do that ok with product from China and the US. So, if your business is fully reliant on being in the EU, then in reality you have a s**t business.

People are the problem here, if we all said, ok let's get on with it, nothing would really change.
In June 2016, I began a 6 month contract in Singapore on a contract agreed in March.

To make a proper Brexit comparison, analysts would normally compare its affect against an equivalent non-regional FS economy.

Overnight I technically got a 20% pay rise when the rate went from 2.1 to about 1.7 after the result came out. The 10 year graph below shows the Brexit vote drop, to a point lower than it has ever been before.

In relative global terms, it illustrates Brexit has had a direct impact.
Attachments
4ACDCBE9-83C7-4566-B79C-81C72699E7BE.png
4ACDCBE9-83C7-4566-B79C-81C72699E7BE.png (153.98 KiB) Viewed 753 times

Lifer 54