Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Would you change your vote ?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
exdos

Post by exdos » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:01 pm

My wife and I visited Slovenia about a month ago. Slovenia has been in the EU since 2004 and has considerably benefitted on a financial level from being in the EU partly from UK contributions. Because very few people outside Slovenia speak any of their languages they don't suffer from mass immigration although the country is nearer to the Eastern European countries whose citizens choose to move to the UK in preference.

We also visited Norway 8 months ago and there are many economic migrants from all corners of the EU working there because the lingua franca is English and the pay is much higher than in their home countries. None of the immigrants need to learn the Norwegian language to successfully work in Norway. However, Norway uses the Norwegian language as the only official language where they don't even bother to give information in English in museums/galleries and all levels of Norwegian administration is conducted in Norwegian. As such, immigrants can only do servile types of work and the Norwegian nationals keep all the best jobs for themselves and integration isn't really available for immigrants.

It's clear to me that the effects of EU policy have different effects in different parts of the EU, and that the UK suffers most as a consequence of the English language. Since the EU failed to recognise that the UK is a magnet to immigration and refused to permit us control from free movement it is the EU that is totally responsible for the Brexit vote.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:12 pm

exdos wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:01 pm

It's clear to me that the effects of EU policy have different effects in different parts of the EU, and that the UK suffers most as a consequence of the English language. Since the EU failed to recognise that the UK is a magnet to immigration and refused to permit us control from free movement it is the EU that is totally responsible for the Brexit vote.
And Tony Toss pot Blair :thumbsdown:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Vornwend

Post by Vornwend » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:27 pm

All the points about immigration ignore the fact that it has been hugely beneficial for this country.They pay far more in taxes than they receive in benefits (about £20bn per year is the estimate). If we wish to reduce levels of immigration then we must accept that we will all be economically worse off. Like many countries in the western world we suffer from an ageing population. Immigrants sustain the NHS, the social care sector and many other industries. The reason people choose to move to the UK is because there are jobs that need filling. Unemployment levels are at historically low levels so you can't even ague they are taking UK citizens jobs. Freedom of movement is only incompatible with a health system if governments fail to plan properly

Its not very well known but the European Parliament and Council Directive 2004/38/EC, already allows EU member states to repatriate EU nationals after three months if they have not found a job or do not have the means to support themselves. We could have used that but successive governments have chosen not to do so because they know that immigration has been of huge benefit to this country.
exdos wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:30 pm I was raised in a large Lancashire town in the 1950-60s which now looks like its sits within a foreign country due to mass immigration. I left in 1970, but I can imagine that many people who still live there, and many similar places like it, would tell you that mass uncontrolled immigration is THE reason why the UK voted for Brexit. My relatives who still live there hate it.
I am sure you are right to assert that immigration was the main reason the UK voted to leave. I am equally sure that many of those peoples lives would be worse without the contribution that immigrants make to their lives. Interested to know why your relatives hate the immigrants in Lancashire?
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green

exdos

Post by exdos » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Vornwend wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:27 pm I am sure you are right to assert that immigration was the main reason the UK voted to leave. I am equally sure that many of those peoples lives would be worse without the contribution that immigrants make to their lives. Interested to know why your relatives hate the immigrants in Lancashire?
They don't hate immigrants, i.e. the people that have come to the UK, they simply hate the mass immigration policy and the difference it has made to the region. I suspect that is the same in many other regions which have been inundated by different cultures without them having any say whatsoever over the changes it makes to their lives.

My niece has to send her children to schools out of her district because the local school is full. My niece's daughter, aged 6, is one of just 3 children in her class who was born in the district. Do you and your sons think that's a benefit of immigration?
Last edited by exdos on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Vornwend wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:27 pm All the points about immigration ignore the fact that it has been hugely beneficial for this country.They pay far more in taxes than they receive in benefits (about £20bn per year is the estimate). If we wish to reduce levels of immigration then we must accept that we will all be economically worse off. Like many countries in the western world we suffer from an ageing population. Immigrants sustain the NHS, the social care sector and many other industries. The reason people choose to move to the UK is because there are jobs that need filling. Unemployment levels are at historically low levels so you can't even ague they are taking UK citizens jobs. Freedom of movement is only incompatible with a health system if governments fail to plan properly

Its not very well known but the European Parliament and Council Directive 2004/38/EC, already allows EU member states to repatriate EU nationals after three months if they have not found a job or do not have the means to support themselves. We could have used that but successive governments have chosen not to do so because they know that immigration has been of huge benefit to this country.
exdos wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:30 pm I was raised in a large Lancashire town in the 1950-60s which now looks like its sits within a foreign country due to mass immigration. I left in 1970, but I can imagine that many people who still live there, and many similar places like it, would tell you that mass uncontrolled immigration is THE reason why the UK voted for Brexit. My relatives who still live there hate it.
I am sure you are right to assert that immigration was the main reason the UK voted to leave. I am equally sure that many of those peoples lives would be worse without the contribution that immigrants make to their lives. Interested to know why your relatives hate the immigrants in Lancashire?
Most people don’t like change, if your home town hadn’t seen much change over the years & suddenly experienced a seismic shift that can be unsettling as the character of a place is very swiftly unrecognisable.
I worked in London for years & on the tube often found that no audible conversation was understandable, the older you are the less welcome this is and can make locals feel like outsiders imho
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

captain caveman

Post by captain caveman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:26 pm

I,d still vote to leave.
I new exactly what i was voting for, I wasent voting for any kind of deal i was voting to leave simple as that.
If you think Europe wouldn't want to deal with us or would like to punish us to set an example, Yes the politicians and Governments would love to do this.
But just look around you at how much of your everyday life has come over from Europe.
Were the 5th biggest economy in the world do you think company's in Europe are going to want to lose that trade? I think not.
The problem was May wanted to try and please all everyone, that simply wasent going to be possible and now were stuck with the mess were in now.

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:26 pm

No denying immigration policy was a key factor in the vote, and probably the most contentious issue for discussion. Does it add, does it cost....who really knows. Doctors, nurses, accountants, footballers....all add more than they cost I guess....but car washers, bar staff, Uber drivers, but do they really add more to the system? I'd like to see an actual figure that people have to contribute in PAYE that qualifies them as a benefit to the system.

Then on the other hand if we truly believe an open door immigration policy is good for the country, then why don't we open this up to all of Africa, Asia and anyone else who wants to come in, why limit it to Europe...where would be the problem with that? Britain, Germany have seen huge net migration this past decade, whereas Spain, Portugal, Greece have all massively declined. Is it really for the UK taxpayer to prop these countries up for spending way beyond their means?

My biggest hope for Brexit is that the government takes the opportunity to impose strict tax rules on the huge corporations that earn billions from this country and pay £0 back into the system. I know this won't happen, probably the opposite. But what I see with the EU, is that it's set up to promote the b*llsh*t tax havens in the region that allow them all to bypass their social obligations with clever accounting....in my mind, it's the most disgusting thing we have in the world right now.

Rant over :rofl:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:32 pm

I voted to leave (ready to get flamed)!

But I'm totally in favour of free trade, and it wasn't because I have a particular issue with immigration.

My decision was based more on the EU "you'll do as you are told" mentality.

Our courts reach a decision, but then the European Court of Human Rights decides something else - we don't need that sort of meddling!

The EU decides petrol has to have a certain percentage of Ethanol in it, so we have to adopt the same dogma - why?

But the current mess shouldn't really surprise anyone - when Eton Dave stepped down because he got it all wrong what we didn't need was a successor who was a Remainer. :headbang: Especially one who is far too conciliatory to get a good deal - we needed someone with some balls!

Such a shame Maggie wasn't doing this deal - she'd have told the EU to go and do one instead of coming back with nothing as Eton Dave and Theresa have done.

I'd rather leave with no deal than the one offered - then maybe people's minds in the EU oligarchy would start to get some focus.

For over a decade the EU didn't want us joining, but we stupidly did. :headbang:

This is our one chance to escape from that fiasco - whatever the consequences I hope desperately that we take it.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Vornwend

Post by Vornwend » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:37 pm

exdos wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:00 pm They don't hate immigrants, i.e. the people that have come to the UK, they simply hate the mass immigration policy and the difference it has made to the region. I suspect that is the same in many other regions which have been inundated by different cultures without them having any say whatsoever over the changes it makes to their lives.

My niece has to send her children to schools out of her district because the local school is full. My niece's daughter, aged 6, is one of just 3 children in her class who was born in the district. Do you and your sons think that's a benefit of immigration?
I suppose some of these things are inevitable if we want to continue to be a country that grows and is able to sustain its ageing population? The alternative is not that attractive in my opinion. I can certainly understand the frustration on school places but that is surely a failure to plan by the government/local authority? I don't understand why whether the children were born in the district makes any difference? People move more than they used to, that's just the way the world is now.

Vornwend

Post by Vornwend » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:55 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:32 pm Our courts reach a decision, but then the European Court of Human Rights decides something else - we don't need that sort of meddling!
In 2017, 512 cases were brought against the UK, however, 99 percent of these cases were thrown out as ‘inadmissible’, with substantive decisions being made in only five cases. Of these, three judgments (0.6 percent) were in the UK’s favour and only two (0.4 percent) were against. 2 cases is hardly meddling is it - its yet another myth I'm afraid not that it has the slightest relevance to a debate about the EU as the court is completely separate to the EU and EU Court of Justice!
Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:32 pm The EU decides petrol has to have a certain percentage of Ethanol in it, so we have to adopt the same dogma - why?
Not aware of any EU law on this? Notwithstanding that adding Ethanol is designed to reduce pollution - a good thing surely?
Last edited by Vornwend on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:08 am

captain caveman wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:26 pm Were the 5th biggest economy in the world do you think company's in Europe are going to want to lose that trade?
Of course not, but we have more to lose. We run a large trade deficit and we have a heavy bias towards services in what we export. We need to partially reindustrialise and somehow not get too shafted as we become dependent on more distant trading partners. This goes against one of the major patterns in bilateral trade around the world. Closer is better.
Last edited by MrPT on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:21 am

Vornwend wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:55 pm Not aware of any EU law on this? Notwithstanding that adding Ethanol is designed to reduce pollution - a good thing surely?
Well I suppose it's a good thing if you don't mind the fuel system on your car getting trashed! Or using something that can cause blood cancer, corrodes steel, fibreglass & aluminium, and rots rubber - but it's your choice!

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/3549/truth- ... -e10-fuel/
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 am

Ethanol also gives less mpg so it’s a case of diminishing returns surely even if it is a slightly “greener” fuel :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:29 am

Smartbear wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 am Ethanol also gives less mpg so it’s a case of diminishing returns surely even if it is a slightly “greener” fuel :?
Rob
Agree completely Mr bear. :thumbsup:

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:42 am

Vornwend wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:55 pm Not aware of any EU law on this?
It’s the renewable energy directive. Don’t think it specifies bioethanol, but that seems to offer an easy way for member states to make a big dent in their targets. The EU is ploughing (wahey!) ahead with the policy prior to the impact of higher ethanol content fuel being fully understood - in terms of engine damage but also the embodied carbon and energy usage from its production.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone