Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Would you change your vote ?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:27 am

Smartbear wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:58 pm Be honest with yourself, if the remain camp had won the referendum would you be campaigning for another vote if more information came to light?
You can’t think of it the other way around. The vote was to do something unknown or maintain the status quo.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:31 am

And he wasn’t the only one either!
BF936259-F7F9-4320-A94C-286C31EE585A.png
BF936259-F7F9-4320-A94C-286C31EE585A.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 957 times
Personally, there’s not many of them that I would trust to run a bath never mind a country!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:51 am

MrPT wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:27 am
Smartbear wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:58 pm Be honest with yourself, if the remain camp had won the referendum would you be campaigning for another vote if more information came to light?
You can’t think of it the other way around. The vote was to do something unknown or maintain the status quo.
I think you could if the information that came to light was about the legitimacy of the campaign rather than statements that proved to be untrue.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:43 am

P

It's not really. We've only been in the EU (or its predecessor) for about 45 years in our history. So hardly "unknown" unless you mean in the sense of we are the first country to use Article 50 to leave the EU?

Having a second referendum now would be very unfair on the leave camp. It's like holding a vote when we've had all the angst and worry over the negotiations but none of the upside from actually being out. At least when we joined the EU we actually had a few years in before we asked the question again. If there must be a second vote it should be 5 years after we've actually left so people have more evidence to judge the success or failure of the project.

A lot was made about promises made by the leave camp before the referendum but most of those involved weren't MP's or senior figures in the government (Boris excluded) so it was no more than the usual political campaigning that goes on before an election. Anyway, the remain side had a national government-funded leaflet campaign to every household in their favour and "Project Fear" which we all know now was utter horse****.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:49 am

original guvnor wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:43 am the remain side had a national government-funded leaflet campaign to every household in their favour
Is this maybe why there were more votes to leave?
People don't trust the government so vote the other way.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:11 am

ronk wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:09 am That was our once chief negotiators quotation tho!
“Once in a lifetime” was just one of many sound bites the political idiots trotted out!
Sounds like it was originated by a woman :poke:
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:49 am

Smartbear wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:51 am
I think you could if the information that came to light was about the legitimacy of the campaign rather than statements that proved to be untrue.
Rob
But there was a concerted effort on behalf of the Government in the form of a leaflet drop to 27 million homes, which was unequivocally pro-remain.

It stated quite clearly the reasons and logic for remain, but.............

The voters made a conscious decision to leave. I will not buy the notion that voters were not well informed. Remain was pushed well and truly by the Government, but the vote was clear. It was to leave.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:20 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:49 am
Smartbear wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:51 am

Rob
But there was a concerted effort on behalf of the Government in the form of a leaflet drop to 27 million homes, which was unequivocally pro-remain.

It stated quite clearly the reasons and logic for remain, but.............

The voters made a conscious decision to leave. I will not buy the notion that voters were not well informed. Remain was pushed well and truly by the Government, but the vote was clear. It was to leave.
There was a total dearth of information regarding the path of “leave”, compared to the path of “remain”. How can that be “well informed”?
EA45E827-9A25-46EC-B9ED-41195C5088C6.jpeg
EA45E827-9A25-46EC-B9ED-41195C5088C6.jpeg (44.26 KiB) Viewed 886 times
That’s not to say those of us that voted leave are stupid or didn’t take the opportunity to inform themselves as best possible. Many people did a great job of thinking through the risks before voting to leave (both of my parents, for example - I was with them most of the way too!).

It’s all boiled down to a fundamental, deep-rooted divide between those that believe in the EU (in its current incarnation or a future one) and those that don’t. It’s not as if remainers paid much attention to what pro-EU politicians said during the campaign!

In hindsight, I don’t think such things should ever be decided by a marginal vote. Maybe a super majority, but nothing close to 50/50. It’s way too complex a domain - just look at all the mind games and process improvisation going on, not to mention the incalculable effects on the economy.

For what it’s worth, I’d still prefer we left with a deal now rather than have a second referendum. Just. :)
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:33 pm

Agree, I'm coming from the angle that the people were well informed about why they should remain, but they still chose to leave.

And if we were having a second referendum, I'd vote to leave even more. As far as I'm concerned, the EU has hardly shown itself to be our 'pals'...

And especially after seeing this:

https://youtu.be/EokwQi15pO0
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Wasn’t immigration said to be one of the main drivers?

I have an old friend who bangs on about it. “To many bloody foreigners “ he keeps on telling me - I do note that he’s been very quiet about immigration since he’s had his cataract operation performed by an Egyptian surgeon and has been looked after by some nurses from th Eu.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:40 pm

ronk wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:27 pm Wasn’t immigration said to be one of the main drivers?

I have an old friend who bangs on about it. “To many bloody foreigners “ he keeps on telling me - I do note that he’s been very quiet about immigration since he’s had his cataract operation performed by an Egyptian surgeon and has been looked after by some nurses from th Eu.
Classic :D :rofl:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:00 pm

ronk wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:27 pm Wasn’t immigration said to be one of the main drivers?

The NHS doesn't rely heavily on EU staff though - only 5.6% of staff are from other EU countries. This reflects my wife's experience (she's a nurse) as she says that Asian doctors and nurses are much more common than European ones - that said, I'd expect that, unless you're very familiar with regional accents, from talking to them it would be difficult to distinguish between staff from NI and Eire.
NHS.jpg
NHS.jpg (113.98 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:22 pm

Surely a lot of 'British' people are also from India and the other countries. A more meaningful number would have to include their country of origin, otherwise it is just more useless statistics, isn't it?
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:46 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:22 pm Surely a lot of 'British' people are also from India and the other countries. A more meaningful number would have to include their country of origin, otherwise it is just more useless statistics, isn't it?
That stats above were taken from a House of Commons briefing
The report stated 'Nationality as recorded by the NHS is self-reported, so it may sometimes reflect a person's cultural heritage rather than their citizenship or country of birth'
Alpina Roadster S #320

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:04 pm

This seems to sum up the current situation....
Brexit.png
Brexit.png (500.93 KiB) Viewed 848 times
Alpina Roadster S #320