Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mac v Windows

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
road warrior

Mac v Windows

Post by road warrior » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:05 am

ronk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:45 am iPhone/iPad/ iMac integrate very well. Ie photo on one appears on other etc. You’ll have to forgive my ignorance here but does it work like that on Windows now?
time has past and now we have electricity too.. google is your friend, log on to your google account and all your photo are in the cloud and can be read by anything ! who knew eh ?
human nature is the clue here - we like what we understand and are familiar with - i mean.. all that money and the bastards only give you one mouse button ??
but slightly seriously.. neither camp has a clue what the other side has and is comfortable with what they have and know.
Although :poke: I understand some years ago apple made their over priced boxes windows compatible in an effort to get some people to buy them..
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

Mac v Windows

Post by road warrior » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:22 am

btw, when i was VERY young and starting out, i did contemplate being an apple engineer as i reasoned there was more money in it - Kalamazoo completely ignored macs and as i lived in the backwater town of Birmingham nobody saw fit to bother with apple and so.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Mac v Windows

Post by ronk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:40 am

I get the distinct impression you don’t like Apple :D

I only changed when had problems with the Bluetooth connection dropping on a previous Z4 using a Samsung handset. The service manager at the BMW dealership told me that they didn’t have any troubles with IPhones - the migration from Android and Pc started then.

When I asked someone why I should use Apple they said “They just work” I’ve yet to prove them wrong.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Tinker15

Mac v Windows

Post by Tinker15 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:43 am

ronk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:45 am iPhone/iPad/ iMac integrate very well. Ie photo on one appears on other etc. You’ll have to forgive my ignorance here but does it work like that on Windows now?
No they do not. And as the ever hilarious road warrior points out you have to use Google.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

road warrior

Mac v Windows

Post by road warrior » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:57 am

nah im play devils advocate as usual Ronk, if they were priced to match i would have one, but here is the thing.. the original argument was " they are made for media/ graphics ect. but it was hype than and its hype now. nothing apple has produced has ever actually been better. when i was a dtp man i was sent to company to make a brochure for them on their machines. I was given a mac - the mac provided could not physically run its own mac software, and so after a week i went home and brought in my own computer - a windows pc
They just work.. another marketing thing. they worked because apple allowed nobody to write programs or or even open the case, and while millions of people wrote 1000's of programs for the ibm pc, nothing got close to dribbling amount of programs privided by apple approved sources. and what happened ? as above .. it would not run because it didntr have enough memory, unlike the ibm pc that would run it regardless and created virtual ram from the hard drive ( which apple would not allow ...)

i quote..
Jobs stated that because "customization really is mostly software now ... most of the options in other computers are in Mac", unlike the Apple II the Macintosh 128K did not need slots, which he described as costly and requiring larger size and more power.[15] It was not upgradable by the user and only Apple service centers were permitted to open the case.[16] All accessories were external, such as the MacCharlie that added IBM PC compatibility.[17] There was no provision for adding internal storage, more RAM or any upgrade cards, however some of the Macintosh engineers objected to Jobs's ideas and secretly developed workarounds for them. As an example, the Macintosh was supposed to have only 17 address lines on the motherboard, enough to support 128k of system RAM, but the design team added an additional two address lines without Jobs's knowledge, making it possible to expand the computer to 512k, although the actual act of upgrading system RAM was difficult and required piggybacking additional RAM chips overtop the onboard 4164 chips. In September 1984, after months of complaints over the Mac's inadequate RAM, Apple released an official 512k machine. Although this had always been planned from the beginning, Steve Jobs maintained if the user desired more RAM than the Mac 128 provided, he should simply pay extra money for a Mac 512 rather than upgrade the computer himself. When the Mac 512 was released, Apple rebranded the original model as "Macintosh 128k" and modified the motherboard to allow easier RAM upgrades. Improving on the hard-wired RAM thus required a motherboard replacement (which was priced similarly to a new computer), or a third-party chip replacement upgrade, which was not only expensive but would void Apple's warranty. The difficulty of fitting software into its limited free memory, coupled with the new interface and event driven programming model, discouraged software vendors from supporting it, leaving the 128K with a relatively small software library. Whereas the Macintosh Plus, and to a lesser extent the Macintosh 512K, are compatible with much later software, the 128K is limited to specially crafted programs. A stock Mac 128K with the original 64K ROM is neither compatible with Apple's external 800 KB drive with HFS nor with Apple's Hard Disk 20. A Mac 128K that has been upgraded with the newer 128K ROM (called a Macintosh 128Ke) can use internal and external 800 KB drives with HFS, as well as the HD20. Both can print on an AppleShare network, but neither can do file sharing because of their limited RAM.
and this was a full 5 YEARS after the ibm pc was invented and for sale in 1979 had upgradable slots for memory and expansion cards and hard drives. , and jobs thought 128 soldered onto the board would be sufficient.. nope..

road warrior

Mac v Windows

Post by road warrior » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Tinker15 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:43 am
No they do not. And as the ever hilarious road warrior points out you have to use Google.
is it me ? or do you think tink dont like me :D

road warrior

Mac v Windows

Post by road warrior » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:06 pm

look tink, this is light hearted banter, nobody is trying to convince anybody to do anything, now you can take it for what is is, which is light hearted banter, or you can get your panties in a knot, its up to you.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Mac v Windows

Post by ronk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:11 pm

Since my 100% migration to Apple I’ve never seen the Blue Screen of Death!
I don’t miss that. :rofl:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mac v Windows

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Road Warrior, it seems like you're the one getting wound up with your "lighthearted banter". Not quite sure what the point of the history of computers copy/paste was either.

I have used a lot of computers, HP/Dell/Microsoft... none of them "feel" as nice to use as my Mac. Some of that is the fit/finish (sure, there have been problems with specific models) and some of it is the OS. Point is, it's nice kit, it works well for me... yes it's expensive, but so are some cars, Vouis Vuitton luggage, Breitling/Rolex watches...
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

road warrior

Mac v Windows

Post by road warrior » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:11 pm Since my 100% migration to Apple I’ve never seen the Blue Screen of Death!
I don’t miss that. :rofl:
HAHAHA
YEA, thats past into folk law now :) not seen that since windows 3.1
you have just sent cold shudders down my spine now - as an engineer @ jaguar i remember the first time some wag created the blue screen of death as a screen saver.. that was just evil !"

road warrior

Mac v Windows

Post by road warrior » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:19 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:15 pm Road Warrior, it seems like you're the one getting wound up with your "lighthearted banter". Not quite sure what the point of the history of computers copy/paste was either.

I have used a lot of computers, HP/Dell/Microsoft... none of them "feel" as nice to use as my Mac. Some of that is the fit/finish (sure, there have been problems with specific models) and some of it is the OS. Point is, it's nice kit, it works well for me... yes it's expensive, but so are some cars, Vouis Vuitton luggage, Breitling/Rolex watches...
if thats what you think i will stop. I spent a large part of life around computers in a professional capacity and so i care, but im not wound up, i was enjoying the banter, but i have noticed, its always the apple folk who throw their teddies out of the pram, always getting upset and justifying the apple. so lets be clear - i dont give a monkeys what you own - it doesent matter.. are we going to have a" my car is better than your car " spat anytime soon ?
Last edited by road warrior on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mac v Windows

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:19 pm

road warrior wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm YEA, thats past into folk law now :) not seen that since windows 3.1
I see it all the time in Windows 7... on all sorts of kit. Sure, not as often as in older versions, but still there.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

road warrior

Mac v Windows

Post by road warrior » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:23 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:19 pm
road warrior wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm YEA, thats past into folk law now :) not seen that since windows 3.1
I see it all the time in Windows 7... on all sorts of kit. Sure, not as often as in older versions, but still there.
where do you see it ? in what capacity ?

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mac v Windows

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:29 pm

road warrior wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:23 pm where do you see it ? in what capacity ?
I spend a lot of time in and around lots of businesses. Mostly it is laptops that I see it in. My own corporate laptop has done it once (something to do with power management I think). Corporate laptops spend a lot of time being docked/undocked, slung in bags etc, so hardly surprising they get in a pickle occasionally.

BeeEmm

Mac v Windows

Post by BeeEmm » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:39 pm

road warrior, don't copy/paste from USA Literature they spell words incorrectly. Programme is not program, centre is not center, tyre is not tire.

Fuddy Duddy
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?