Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iPhone repair

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone repair

Post by ronk » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:22 pm

The earpiece on my 6s+ has been diagnosed as faulted (very low volume) - Apple’s Solution is to fit an entire screen which includes the new microphone assy that costs an arm and a leg. They dont supply nor fit the mic Assy as a stand-alone part.

There’s a local phone repair guy who will fit a new mic for £25 - some say it’s not a good fix - had anyone any experience of aftermarket repairs please?

I should add that the handset is only 2 1/2 years old but as I don’t have the original purchase receipt Apple won’t entertain a repair under European consumer law so its an Apple repair at huge cost, a £25 aftermarket repair - or chuck it out and buy a new handset.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone repair

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:33 pm

Whats the cost of the official repair?..personally at 2 and a half years old I'd get the 25 quid fix then flog it on ebay and get yourself a new phone..200 quid gets you an awful lot of Android phone these days
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Phoenixboy

iPhone repair

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:57 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:22 pm The earpiece on my 6s+ has been diagnosed as faulted (very low volume) - Apple’s Solution is to fit an entire screen which includes the new microphone assy that costs an arm and a leg. They dont supply nor fit the mic Assy as a stand-alone part.

There’s a local phone repair guy who will fit a new mic for £25 - some say it’s not a good fix - had anyone any experience of aftermarket repairs please?

I should add that the handset is only 2 1/2 years old but as I don’t have the original purchase receipt Apple won’t entertain a repair under European consumer law so its an Apple repair at huge cost, a £25 aftermarket repair - or chuck it out and buy a new handset.
had a similar issue and spoke to apple.
after a long conversation they agreed to fix it foc
well actually replaced it with one of what they call a refurbished one.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone repair

Post by ronk » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:19 pm

I am off to the Apple store on Monday and will check the official fix price - the Apple Care weren’t very helpful as I don’t have the receipt. With the serial numbers they can verify when it was bought so I think they are only looking for excuses.

We have a lot of the Apple product in the house and generally like it - but feel a bit let down by their lack of help on this occasion.

It’s now looking like the £25 quick fix but I will I will reserve judgement until after Monday at the Apple store.

Phoenixboy

iPhone repair

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:23 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:19 pm I am off to the Apple store on Monday and will check the official fix price - the Apple Care weren’t very helpful as I don’t have the receipt. With the serial numbers they can verify when it was bought so I think they are only looking for excuses.

We have a lot of the Apple product in the house and generally like it - but feel a bit let down by their lack of help on this occasion.

It’s now looking like the £25 quick fix but I will I will reserve judgement until after Monday at the Apple store.
the problem is once you fit anything non apple they will not touch it.
its worth a phone call expressing your love of apple blah blah
they will likely give you a foc refurb replacement.
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone repair

Post by ronk » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:07 pm

Phoenixboy wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:23 pm
... its worth a phone call expressing your love of apple blah blah
I’ve got an appointment at 12.50 on Monday - a Full bleat mode is prepared! :thumbsup:

djstan

iPhone repair

Post by djstan » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:22 pm

Good luck for Monday! If it were me, I’d avoid the cheapie fix for the reasons that Phoenixboy gave but that comes down to personal choice I think...
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

Phoenixboy

iPhone repair

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:58 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:07 pm
I’ve got an appointment at 12.50 on Monday - a Full bleat mode is prepared! :thumbsup:
the problem is, it needs apple who you speak to, it goes through to America, too authorise the foc repair/replacement.
the apple shops don't normally have the authority to do it as it is outside of the standard warranty.
but as you know, we are covered by the eu warranty for the longer period, as long as its deemed a failure as opposed to wear and tear.
its worth the phone call in advance.
once I had discussed and they agreed to sort, they then booked me in to my local apple store with authorisation to sort it.
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone repair

Post by ronk » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Yes, I spoke to Apple yesterday and the sounded very sympathetic and would have dealt with the problem. They said they must have proof of purchase and without that they weren’t able to help. The agent told me that she’d asked her manager to verify.
The agent booked me into the store so based on what they say I will be able to make a more informed decision

I’ve recently had the replacement battery under the scheme so if I can’t get them to repair or replace at a reasonable cost, I might just go for the el cheapo repair as there seems no advantage in keeping it Apple.

I must admit that the failure has coloured my opinion of Apple.

obewan

iPhone repair

Post by obewan » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Do you need the original Apple receipt?
Legally (from a consumer point of view) I thought you only needed proof of purchase - Shops can't insist on a receipt (I admit a receipt normally is the ideal solution)
However a bank statement can also be used as proof of purchase
Good luck
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone repair

Post by ronk » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:07 pm

I don’t know why they need a receipt either. The fact I have the handset should be enough. They confirmed me the date it was purchased as I gave them imei and serial numbers.

If I’d stolen or found it then there’d surely be a flag on the system? Without passwords / Apple ID etc these things are nothing more than junk !

NeilP

iPhone repair

Post by NeilP » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:08 pm

Phoenixboy wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:58 pm
ronk wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:07 pm
the problem is, it needs apple who you speak to, it goes through to America, too authorise the foc repair/replacement.
the apple shops don't normally have the authority to do it as it is outside of the standard warranty.
but as you know, we are covered by the eu warranty for the longer period, as long as its deemed a failure as opposed to wear and tear.
its worth the phone call in advance.
once I had discussed and they agreed to sort, they then booked me in to my local apple store with authorisation to sort it.
Not true - store managers have the ability to cover repairs on devices.

As for why you were asked for a receipt is unusual. Everything is logged against your serial number which shows where and when the device was purchased. Just to note consumer law lies with the place of purchase and not Apple (incase you didn't get it from Apple)

If whoever you speak to is nice enough, they may be willing to remove the receiver and clean behind it (which is why you're more than likely having volume issues)

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me! :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone repair

Post by ronk » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Fingers crossed for my store visit on monday!
The Approved Apple retailer (Stormfront) that I visited on Thursday, cleaned the earpiece but it hasn’t helped the problem.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone repair

Post by ronk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:03 am

Update for info.

I called at the Apple store today and they cleaned the earpiece and it’s now as clear as a bell!
The approved reseller Apple Store hadn’t done it properly.

The agent at the Apple store told me if the earpiece speaker fails then it emits no sound.

If the phone goes wonky again I will take it to the organ grinder and not the monkey!

obewan

iPhone repair

Post by obewan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:26 am

Result! :thumbsup:
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport