Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Relocating to North Yorkshire... conundrum...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:08 pm

So I’ve been offered a really good role in a large financial organisation. It’s quite a step as I’m moving from a different industry entirely.

The role and organisation look great, the issue?

It’s based in Norh Yorkshire and I’m in Manchester.

120 mile round trip commute every day is going to cost me enormously in time and fuel.

So renting there is an option as a stepping stone to buying over there when I know more about the locations etc.

The locations I’ve looked at are just incredibly beautiful (Skipton, Ilkley, Cononly) but also very quiet / different compared to where I am now which is in the Didsbury area of Manchester which is very green, has absolutely everything on your doorstep, large range of bars, restaurants etc

But I confess the hassle of it all has me on the fence a bit and I need a nudge.

Has anyone else made a similar adjustment and if they did how did it go?

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:22 pm

So I moved from Fallowfield to East Yorkshire twenty eight years ago and I wouldn't go back to Manchester if you gave me £10m. Depending where you're going to live, but if Leeds or York are nearby (30 miles) you can get almost all the things that Manchester offers but with better access to wide open spaces of breathtaking beauty and historical importance. And being the other side of the pennines it's not as wet!

Rent somewhere for six months whilst you find the right place to live that meets your needs and go for it, progress is about moving forward not staying where you are. Good luck :thumbsup:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:30 pm

Thanks Sars, I did consider Harrogate but that’s still an hours run over to the new office just outside Skipton.

If I could live in Skipton I could walk to work but it’s expensive (440k for a small 3 bed detached!) and Ilkley is lovely. I’ve visited a small village today called Cononly and that is stunning but very quiet. It does have a train station that links to skipton in minutes and just 30 mins to Leeds so that is in the running.

Just such a huge move, with elderly dogs to consider moving from the only home they’ve ever known is a worry. We really like where we are but after 19 yrs in the city we feel it’s time to move on to a slightly more natural pace of life but will still want stuff in easy reach.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Maniac wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:08 pm So I’ve been offered a really good role in a large financial organisation. It’s quite a step as I’m moving from a different industry entirely.

120 mile round trip commute every day is going to cost me enormously in time and fuel.

So renting there is an option as a stepping stone to buying over there when I know more about the locations etc.

The locations I’ve looked at are just incredibly beautiful (Skipton, Ilkley, Cononly) but also very quiet / different compared to where I am now which is in the Didsbury area of Manchester which is very green, has absolutely everything on your doorstep, large range of bars, restaurants etc

But I confess the hassle of it all has me on the fence a bit and I need a nudge.

Hi, I’ve recently moved from Chelmsford in Essex which is pretty busy with a large shopping centre and tons of traffic to a tiny hamlet in Somerset (Urgashay) which is just under 200 miles away.
There’s only around 6 houses in my road and one of those is a farm, it’s pretty rural but Tesco’s deliver to our door & there’s a village shop & pub nearby.
I moved shortly after retiring from work so don’t have a commute to consider anymore, I’m not missing the hustle and bustle and appreciate the peace & quiet I now have.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Some lovely places around there.

Depends what you are after I suppose (nights out etc) and how far you are willing to travel every day.

Skipton, Ilkley, Howarth, Burley in Wharfdale, Grassington etc are all nice and fairly close.

bladeowner

Post by bladeowner » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:47 pm

Yorkshire_zps121ae80b.JPG
Yorkshire_zps121ae80b.JPG (24.68 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:59 pm

At least you’re in the same country, whereas a number here have gone to the other side of the planet - I did a 5 month stint in APAC, massive upheaval, loved every second...

Renting 1st is paramount, a change is as good as a rest, some things won’t be as good though have always found so many things I hadn’t expected make it even better.. just get the latest TOMTOM maps or equivalent to find your way around...

Good hunting
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Go with it and have no regrets in life. I have moved a couple of times with jobs. Started in Liverpool. Twelve years in Gosport, Hampshire and now pushing 25 years in Saltash Cornwall. Each time It's been an adventure and well worth it. :thumbsup: Whilst living in Gosport I ended up commuting up to Crawley each day. That was 3 hours every day I will never get back, much as I enjoy driving. It's all about work/ life ballance. Take the oppertunities and make the most of them. :wink:

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Why are you even thinking about it? Living in another Greater Manchester suburb at least equally desirable - Altrincham - I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Good job, good money, nice location and some good driving roads literally on your doostep? Get gone! :thumbsup:
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:25 pm

I have now been based in Newcastle for a few years, but working first in The Netherlands and now Edinburgh. In both locations I rented a small flat as a base during the week, and then home every weekend. Dunno if this would work for you.
The roads in North Yorkshire are fabulous, perfect for a Zed.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Truth

Post by Truth » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:31 pm

:fuelfire:
Attachments
D4799232-0C8E-4EF1-8797-6EF5DC818E5D.jpeg
D4799232-0C8E-4EF1-8797-6EF5DC818E5D.jpeg (88.64 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
Z4MC

Truth

Post by Truth » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Gotta stop telling everyone how nice North Yorkshire is and that we don’t have any static speed cameras in England’s biggest county. We don’t want everyone coming up here and clogging up the roads!
Z4MC

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:38 pm

Maniac wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:08 pm So I’ve been offered a really good role in a large financial organisation. It’s quite a step as I’m moving from a different industry entirely.

Where in North Yorkshire?

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:38 pm

Truth wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:32 pm Gotta stop telling everyone how nice North Yorkshire is and that we don’t have any static speed cameras in England’s biggest county. We don’t want everyone coming up here and clogging up the roads!
Don't mind at all. It keeps them out of Durham :rofl:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

IRD

Post by IRD » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:50 pm

We have moved several times over the years. For a time we lived in Teeside near Middlesbrough then to Thirsk, North Yorks, Humberside and now near Lincoln. North Yorkshire is such a beautiful place to live with a great variety of locations. Follow the advice about renting and research carefully and I am sure you will find somewhere where you will be happy. We have two dogs. There lots of areas to walk so it is close to being ‘doggy heaven’. If it is a really good job opportunity I would take the gamble. As Del Boy says, ‘he who dares’. :thumbsup: