Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Relocating to North Yorkshire... conundrum...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:21 pm

I think I have some itinerant blood in me! While I was working I moved 6 times, and never regretted any of them.

I went from Woking to Ash (near Aldershot), to Stroud, to Sittingbourne, to Sutton, to Egham - best moves were 2 company relocations where my employer paid for it all! :lol:

As you seem to like the look of the area around the new job location you might as well go for it.

But as others have said renting for a bit to get a feel for the area before you commit is a good plan.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Truth wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:32 pm Gotta stop telling everyone how nice North Yorkshire is and that we don’t have any static speed cameras in England’s biggest county. We don’t want everyone coming up here and clogging up the roads!
Maybe no statics but for sure some of the sneakiest mobile vans ive come across in the UK are in Yorkshire :cry:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:14 pm

Maniac wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:08 pm So I’ve been offered a really good role in a large financial organisation. It’s quite a step as I’m moving from a different industry entirely.

The role and organisation look great, the issue?

It’s based in Norh Yorkshire and I’m in Manchester.

120 mile round trip commute every day is going to cost me enormously in time and fuel.

So renting there is an option as a stepping stone to buying over there when I know more about the locations etc.

The locations I’ve looked at are just incredibly beautiful (Skipton, Ilkley, Cononly) but also very quiet / different compared to where I am now which is in the Didsbury area of Manchester which is very green, has absolutely everything on your doorstep, large range of bars, restaurants etc

But I confess the hassle of it all has me on the fence a bit and I need a nudge.

Has anyone else made a similar adjustment and if they did how did it go?
Skipton quiet :? maybe on a Tuesday morning or after 7pm but weekend visitors & traffic have ruined the place for me ( i can be there in 20 mins but now rarely visit )
Guess it depends how busy you want your locality to be , Cononly is pretty small , Crosshills a little larger a few mins drive away but blighted with a busy main road right through it .
If you will be working in Skipton & want rural stone property but don't want Skipton property prices then scour the surrounding towns & villages , some may surprise you such as Barnoldswick , Laneshawbrdge , Foulridge ,Salterforth , Barrowford , Gisburn , Trawden ( all under 15 mins drive from Skipton )
Sounds a great opportunity to me but then i see zero appeal in big city living :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:35 pm

mr wilks wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:02 pm
Truth wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:32 pm Gotta stop telling everyone how nice North Yorkshire is and that we don’t have any static speed cameras in England’s biggest county. We don’t want everyone coming up here and clogging up the roads!
Maybe no statics but for sure some of the sneakiest mobile vans ive come across in the UK are in Yorkshire :cry:
How have you kept your licence? :driving: :evil:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Marlon wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:35 pm
mr wilks wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:02 pm
:oops: after the recent miles covered in France with 7 other Z4s its nothing short of a modern miracle :D
The Yorkshire mobile vans are particularly sneaky though :cry: not fair play at all :P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Truth

Post by Truth » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 pm

mr wilks wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:02 pm
Marlon wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:35 pm
mr wilks wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:02 pm Maybe no statics but for sure some of the sneakiest mobile vans ive come across in the UK are in Yorkshire :cry:
:oops: after the recent miles covered in France with 7 other Z4s its nothing short of a modern miracle :D
The Yorkshire mobile vans are particularly sneaky though :cry: not fair play at all :P
Better than the Lancashire ones that are painted like bluming Yorkshire water vans to lead u into a false sense of security!
Z4MC

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:51 pm

Truth wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 pm
mr wilks wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:02 pm
Marlon wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:35 pm How have you kept your licence? :driving: :evil:
Better than the Lancashire ones that are painted like bluming Yorkshire water vans to lead u into a false sense of security!
You shouldn't be venturing into the promised land without a permit :? when was this :P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:02 pm

I'm surprised you found Skipton property prices so high. Out of the 'desirable' towns nearby such as Ilkely, Burley-in-Wharfedale it is typically a fair bit cheaper. If you are coming from Manchester you might find it hard to adjust to the dramatically quieter pace of life in the outlying villages such as the ones Mr Wilks mentions above. Barnoldswick is probably one of the bigger ones and property is certainly much much cheaper there but it does also have a few social problems but probably still nothing like as bad as Manchester. Same goes for Silsden / Addingham.

Having lived in the area all my life, I would suggest looking again at the outskirts of Skipton itself along with Ilkley and perhaps Otley (where I was born :roll: ). Certainly don't venture south towards the Keighly area.

Overall though you have amazing options in that part of the world. Dales on your doorstep, lake district only an hours drive away and Leeds / Harrogate about 45 mins away when you want to large it at the weekend!
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:34 pm

I dream of a mere 120 mile round trip to work!

Do it for a few weeks and see how you get on, you'll get used to it pretty quickly. I bought an E350d Mercedes and it's an ideal commuting car.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:43 pm

All the feedback much appreciated peeps.

Working in skipton and with the other half now about to start work in Leeds, something has to be on a Trainline, hence Ilkley, Cononly, Skipton itself.

I realise it’s going to be jarring but I think skipton and Ilkley will offer enough and ill rarely use a car if I live where I work. Plus the new job requires a fair bit of travel around the UK so train station on the doorstep is going to be a boon.