Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

McGuinness & Flintoff hosting new Top Gear

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 pm

stupot1 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:56 pm Pair of tossers.... imo
Won't be watching
Yet more dumbing down,
What's happened to motoring journalists presenting these shows or isn't it fashionable to have someone who knows the industry .
It's all Cobblers!
Chris Harris is a proper motoring journalist.....
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:54 pm

ph001 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 pm
Won't be watching
Yet more dumbing down,
What's happened to motoring journalists presenting these shows or isn't it fashionable to have someone who knows the industry .
It's all Cobblers!
As far as I can remember Top gear has always had at least two presenters, Harris can’t do it all.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:55 pm

Gutted. I really enjoyed Rory, Matt and Chris after despising Chris Evans.. Feels like they're very much flogging a dead horse..
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:56 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:54 pm As far as I can remember Top gear has always had at least two presenters, Harris can’t do it all.
Indeed, but he could be given the leading role (unless he doesn't want it). Agree it would need another 1 or 2 to complement though.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:00 pm

ph001 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:56 pm
john-e89 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:54 pm As far as I can remember Top gear has always had at least two presenters, Harris can’t do it all.
Indeed, but he could be given the leading role (unless he doesn't want it). Agree it would need another 1 or 2 to complement though.
Doesn’t really matter who the other two are, unless they’re motoring journo’s they’re just silly dead weight dragging a dying dog of a ‘show’ around. Just my opinion but it either goes back to a proper motoring show or it hangs it’s boots up and clocks out. Trying to keep it funny has gone stagnant.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:22 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:00 pm
Doesn’t really matter who the other two are, unless they’re motoring journo’s they’re just silly dead weight dragging a dying dog of a ‘show’ around. Just my opinion but it either goes back to a proper motoring show or it hangs it’s boots up and clocks out. Trying to keep it funny has gone stagnant.

...couldn't agree more.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:05 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:00 pm
The "dead horse" is still pulling in 3.5 million viewers every week in the UK. It's not Top Gear viewing figures from the prime days, but it's far more that every other car show and the most watched show on BBC2.

I genuinely don't understand why so many people are desperate to see it cancelled. Every time there is a Top Gear thread on a car website the interest is huge and lots of people continuously asking for it to be dropped.

Surely the best thing to do is to stop watching if they don''t like it and leave it for the people who do?
Last edited by Beerman on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stupot1

Post by stupot1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:09 pm

ph001 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 pm
Won't be watching
Yet more dumbing down,
It's all Cobblers!
That's my point
Mcguiness and Flintoff are not !
E86 Sapphire Black, Auto, 224's

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 pm

[quote=Beerman post_

Surely the best thing to do is to stop watching if they don''t like it and leave it for the people who do?
[/quote]

I have stopped watching it yes, in fact I watched no more than 10 mins of it when C Evans was on, then another 10 mins when the last lot started, was more than enough tbh.. :lol:

Personally I’d like to see it return to a proper motoring show but as that’s not happening I’m taking your advice. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

djstan

Post by djstan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Beerman wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:05 pm Surely the best thing to do is to stop watching if they don''t like it and leave it for the people who do?
This is purely speculation on my part, but I think there is genuinely a lot of affection for the programme and (in my opinion anyway) it's become a bit of an institution in the UK.

When Clarkson & co took over, Top Gear developed in a markedly different direction which was fun and interesting, and it almost went mainstream, but after he was sacked and the others left, the BBC seem to have made some quite desperate and bizarre editorial decisions to keep the format going, so as to preserve the viewing figures.

We've ended up with two replicas of the same thing, one with a big budget and one with an even bigger one, but subjectively neither as good as the one pre-punchgate.

Change is good - I don't think anybody would argue any differently. But, and this is the crux, it needs to be applied with a modicum of order, pragmatism and common sense. Parachuting an ex-cricketer and a not-very funny comedian* into the roles, without any clear sign of subject matter expertise doesn't really seem to tick any of those boxes, so naturally people feel entitled to have an opinion :)

* my opinion - someone must like him because he seems to be doing OK for himself ;)
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:11 pm

djstan wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:59 pm
Beerman wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:05 pm Surely the best thing to do is to stop watching if they don''t like it and leave it for the people who do?
This is purely speculation on my part, but I think there is genuinely a lot of affection for the programme and (in my opinion anyway) it's become a bit of an institution in the UK.

When Clarkson & co took over, Top Gear developed in a markedly different direction which was fun and interesting, and it almost went mainstream, but after he was sacked and the others left, the BBC seem to have made some quite desperate and bizarre editorial decisions to keep the format going, so as to preserve the viewing figures.

We've ended up with two replicas of the same thing, one with a big budget and one with an even bigger one, but subjectively neither as good as the one pre-punchgate.

Change is good - I don't think anybody would argue any differently. But, and this is the crux, it needs to be applied with a modicum of order, pragmatism and common sense. Parachuting an ex-cricketer and a not-very funny comedian* into the roles, without any clear sign of subject matter expertise doesn't really seem to tick any of those boxes, so naturally people feel entitled to have an opinion :)

* my opinion - someone must like him because he seems to be doing OK for himself ;)

* Everyone’s a fan of someone........ :poke: :wink:
Attachments
3E9DFDE1-E140-4AC9-AEF3-46B7C6627DB8.jpeg
3E9DFDE1-E140-4AC9-AEF3-46B7C6627DB8.jpeg (65.24 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:41 pm

It's an entertainment show with cars. Matt Is Blanc wasn't a journalist before he started. He was good last year.

Richard Hammond wasn't a journalist either was he? He was also dire in the other shows he was on, but did fill his role well on Top Gear. He over does it on The Grand Tour though.

Do you think Clarkson, May and Hammond are particularly knowledgeable about cars and driving? Clarkson's lap times were slower than many of the celebrities on the track and he had plenty of practice.

I honestly know nothing about the cricketer. I've never watched a ruined game of rounders ever, but I do read he was amusing and got stuck into car challenges on his programme on Sky.

At times Paddy is funny. I've no idea how it'll go or how they will work together, but I won't judge until I've seen.

Usually the BBC do make a good job of something when they put the their mind to it. I wasn't a fan of Evans on Top Gear, and he did try too hard, but people would have written off anyone post Clarkson and Co.

I hope they've done trials with these two and know they bounce off each other. Who knows?

At the end of the day force another car programme off the TV and it'll only be replaced some crap cooking show. Shows like The Great British Bake Off pull in more viewers than Top Gear ever did. It does appear it would make plenty of men happy. :rofl:

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Its like the new Z4, I will wait till I see it to make judgement,, I agree, on paper with TG, it doesn't look good , but you never know, we might all be pleasantly surprised, I cant imagine after the disaster Chris Evans was, they would not have thought this through, and even done some test shows and ideas, Freddie is quite amusing on a league of their own and certainly is game (no pun intended), Paddy on the other hand, likey, likey and all that, doesn't spring out at me as a natural successor,
Anyway lets watch and then pass comment, no good writing it off before its even started,,, how many Dr Who fans wrote off a female Dr before it was made, and are now eating their words :D
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Beerman wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:41 pm
Do you think Clarkson, May and Hammond are particularly knowledgeable about cars and driving? Clarkson's lap times were slower than many of the celebrities on the track and he had plenty of practice.
Not sure about the other two but I remember JC testing for Performance Car magazine way back in 1984, including an epic pan-continental test of the original E28 M5 that first whetted my appetite for a BMW and was the forerunner of that particular Top Gear test format. I probably still have in the loft somewhere (the mag' not an M5 :P ). So to be fair I think JC's got a bit motor journo' credibility.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Havard

Post by Havard » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:02 pm

I am pretty sure this is doomed. I feel really sorry for Chris Harris as I could watch him and his enthusiasm all day.

I like Paddy and Freddie but I am not convinced they know anything about cars and that will come through.

How about Tiff, Jason Plato, Matt Neal, Jenson Button or anyone that has driven at a decent level. What happened to Rory anyway?

H.
ImageImage