Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hamilton on the brink...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by john-e89 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:01 am

Not many F1 fans on here I know but the title ‘could’ be sealed later today. I’m in no way a Hamilton fan for his moods when it’s not going his way but he’s not put a wheel wrong all season, like him or not he deserves the title imho as Vettel has been a complete mess at times, made far too many mistakes, maybe he’s cracked I don’t know but whatever the reason Hamilton has outclassed him, quail performances have been stunning as well as races. I reckon it’ll go to the next race but the titles his barring breakdowns. 5 is pretty incredible. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

obewan

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by obewan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:07 am

Here's hoping but I agree I think it will go down to Mexico
True racer, deserves it
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Zoomer

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by Zoomer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:54 pm

It would be better for the sport if it’s not decided today but Mercedes and Hamilton certainly have stepped up their game. Could have been so much closer without Vettels/Ferrari’s mistake though. I just hope they manage to get a formula that allows passing next year as the only team that seem to be able to build such a car is Red Bull at the moment.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:56 pm

I dont particularly like him,but you cant dent how talented he is.I didnt like the idea of Bottas being made to let him win either,i dont like that of any team. Each man should win or lose by his own merit.

Even so.... Get this year out of the way and there will be some better racing next year hopefully,fresh blood is knocking about.

The fact that a fast guy like Ocon cant get a drive next year is a shame,but does show whats happening behind the scenes.. You can still be a fantastic driver and still not have a seat due to F1 politics

JamieZ4C

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by JamieZ4C » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:13 pm

Agree with above, Hamilton doesn't do a lot to win over people when out of the car, but his skills as a driver deserve all the recognition he's getting.

Even Alonso said he sees Hamilton as one of the top 5 drivers of all time.

I'm looking forward to next year, some young drivers coming through. Especially interested to see how Leclerc at Ferrari gets on. If they can sort their act out of course.

BeeEmm

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by BeeEmm » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:05 pm

It's just a pity that it has been a 3 make race for the last 4 years with Mercedes being the best by far. Difficult to judge who is the best driver with that scenario. Best driver of all time, JIM CLARK of course, who doesn't even figure in Alonso's top 5. What does he know?
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

mjennings23

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by mjennings23 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Looks like he got into Vettel's head after the break, seems that he's making mistakes every weekend now that keep costing him points at the end of the day. His incredibly optimistic lap 1 attempted overtake at Monza really highlighted it, IMO

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by Jembo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:27 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:05 pm It's just a pity that it has been a 3 make race for the last 4 years with Mercedes being the best by far. Difficult to judge who is the best driver with that scenario. Best driver of all time, JIM CLARK of course, who doesn't even figure in Alonso's top 5. What does he know?
Be interesting to hear how Alonso classified them - for me Senna was the all time greatest, the lifestyle, ability to constantly extract every ounce of performance, attitude & unbelievable true grit in his darkest hours.

Alongside Schumacher, Fangio & Prost.... doesn’t leave much room for anyone else in that top 5, irrespective of just how good Moss & Clark were.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

stupot1

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by stupot1 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Top 3
Fangio
Jim Clark
Aryton Senna
Level playing field, Hamilton wouldn't stand a chance!
E86 Sapphire Black, Auto, 224's

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by Lynchy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:58 pm

Different eras and different cars of course but I think Hamilton is brilliant in the car and out of the car and for me he is No1 on my list

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by MrPT » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:35 pm

If there was still any doubt that he is one of the all-time best, this year settles it, surely? He’s surpassed Senna’s pole record, is closing in on Schumacher’s stats, has beaten talented drivers in the same car consistently, has beaten Ferrari on their day, has won from the front, has won from the midfield, has done the so-much-faster-than-everybody-else-in-the-wet thing, hasn’t had a dummy-out-of-pram moment in a while, has written and starred in his own broadway musical etc.

He’s not exactly peerless - this is an era of some classy drivers, after all - but, unlike them, people will tell stories about how good he was for generations, perhaps forgetting a certain F. Alonso who never really claimed the accolades he was capable of.
stupot1 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:56 pm Top 3
Fangio
Jim Clark
Aryton Senna
Well, unless the “level playing field” was a current car at Singapore, in which case the others would probably be knackered by lap 10 and massively overloaded by all the technical knowledge and tyre management required. That would be my top three too, but it’s so hard to say.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

stupot1

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by stupot1 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:01 pm

MrPT wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:35 pm If there was still any doubt that he is one of the all-time best, this year settles it, surely? He’s surpassed Senna’s pole record, is closing in on Schumacher’s stats, has beaten talented drivers in the same car consistently, has beaten Ferrari on their day, has won from the front, has won from the midfield, has done the so-much-faster-than-everybody-else-in-the-wet thing, hasn’t had a dummy-out-of-pram moment in a while, has written and starred in his own broadway musical etc.

He’s not exactly peerless - this is an era of some classy drivers, after all - but, unlike them, people will tell stories about how good he was for generations, perhaps forgetting a certain F. Alonso.
stupot1 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:56 pm Top 3
Fangio
Jim Clark
Aryton Senna
Well, unless the level playing field was a current car at Singapore, in which case the others would probably be knackered by lap 10 and massively overloaded by all the technical knowledge and tyre management required. That would be my top three too, but it’s so hard to say.
More like a computer game now.
Would love to see all the greats in car's of the same ability.
Suppose it's like who is the best ever boxer,
The question can never be answered !
E86 Sapphire Black, Auto, 224's

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by buzyg » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:10 pm

The Ferraris are possibly the quickest cars this weekend. If Vettle still wants it we will find out today. Shame he's starting 4th. Not that I am a Vettle fan, just better when they are wheel to wheel. :driving:

BeeEmm

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by BeeEmm » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:45 pm

MrPT wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:35 pm If there was still any doubt that he is one of the all-time best, this year settles it, surely? He’s surpassed Senna’s pole record, is closing in on Schumacher’s stats, has beaten talented drivers in the same car consistently, has beaten Ferrari on their day, has won from the front, has won from the midfield, has done the so-much-faster-than-everybody-else-in-the-wet thing, hasn’t had a dummy-out-of-pram moment in a while, has written and starred in his own broadway musical etc.

He’s not exactly peerless - this is an era of some classy drivers, after all - but, unlike them, people will tell stories about how good he was for generations, perhaps forgetting a certain F. Alonso who never really claimed the accolades he was capable of.
I appreciate your sentiments MrPT. The reason I have Jim Clark as the greatest racing driver is that he never wrote his own musical, he didn't have time. He did though race in various Formulas in the same season. Apart from Formula 1 he also raced in Formula 2 (same season) and was unfortunately killed in this formula. He raced the Cortina Lotus in many meetings all in the same season. It is of course purely subjective who was/is the best racing driver, and that will never be proved. I remember a quote from Jim Clark after his very first club race when, after being congratulated, he said "why were the other drivers going so slow." A true great.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Hamilton on the brink...

Post by MrPT » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:08 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:45 pm I remember a quote from Jim Clark after his very first club race when, after being congratulated, he said "why were the other drivers going so slow." A true great.
Can you imagine what the reaction would be if Hamilton said that? :rofl:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone