Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Power tools!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
mjennings23

Power tools!

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:18 am

Now perhaps I'm missing something, but I seem unable to find a thread on power tools on a petrolheads forum... What is going on!

On a serious note, I think it's about time I invested in a cordless system and I'm looking for advice/experiences. First part will be an impact wrench naturally, along with batteries and charger so will effectively be committed to one brand going forwards.

My dad's always had excellent experience with DeWalt so I'm tempted to continue this, their 18v range seems universally praised while being cheaper than the likes of Milwaukee and Snap On.

Any other suggestions or experience from anyone? It's only for DIY use so I don't need professional grade stuff, but I also don't mind paying for quality if it's justified.

gregl342

Power tools!

Post by gregl342 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:48 am

I've got a bunch of Ryobi 1+ stuff and it's been faultless. Decent value and good quality :thumbsup:
2007 E86 Z4MC | Sepang Bronze | 18" 260M
(Gone) 2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si Sport | Black Sapphire | 18" Style 32
(Gone) 2007 E85 2.5i SE | Sterling Grey | 17" Style 200

Mister T

Power tools!

Post by Mister T » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:07 am

I can highly recommend the Makita LXT range. Best tool I've ever bought is the DTW450 impact wrench

Phoenixboy

Power tools!

Post by Phoenixboy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:15 am

I used to sell power tools, and Makita and dewalt are both good kit.
personally for diy I would probably go the Ryobi route.
be wary of certain offers, which often include lower ampage batteries, meaning shorter run time.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Power tools!

Post by kis » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:19 am

Cool. Will continue to watch with interest, I'm thinking of getting a few things too! :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Buckley06

Power tools!

Post by Buckley06 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:30 am

Not a fan of dewalt, Makita lxt are the set I have.
If you have the money festool are the best on the market.

Before falling into engineering I was a carpenter for 7 years so I am speaking from experience.

Ryobi just misses any man power and doesn't last long.
Please check out my new project.
B06 gear knob and brake lever set.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=109279

Phoenixboy

Power tools!

Post by Phoenixboy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:42 am

Buckley06 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:30 am Not a fan of dewalt, Makita lxt are the set I have.
If you have the money festool are the best on the market.

Before falling into engineering I was a carpenter for 7 years so I am speaking from experience.

Ryobi just misses any man power and doesn't last long.
festool is top notch tools for a chippie or kitchen fitter, but would be vast overkill for diy use, and its expensive.
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Power tools!

Post by john-e89 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:10 am

I’ve used Dewalt, Makita but found both to lunch their batteries very quickly, especially Makita which have a reputation for it, Dewalt are vastly overrated and tbh I won’t touch either of them again, not that I want an argument with Phoenixboy, if they work for him that’s good. I switched to Bosch blue line and won’t use or buy anything else now, never had a problem and I’ve kicked the hell out of them, extremely robust, light, and a good range of tools. The 10.8V range will do what 14V on other tools do, they’re very powerful. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Power tools!

Post by PerryGunn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:26 am

Mister T wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:07 am I can highly recommend the Makita LXT range.
I agree with this - over the last several years I've built a decent collection of Makita 18v LXT kit and they've been faultless.

It's always worth buying batteries when they're on offer - the 4Ah seems to be at the sweet spot in pricing at the moment. It's a good idea to have a couple of spare batteries as you don't want to have to either stop working or be in a situation where you're having to swap batteries from tool to tool - it's also surprising how often a second charger gets used. I try to pick up the body-only version of the tools (with a case if possible) and, by preference, buy tools with brushless motors as there's less maintenance and the batteries last longer.
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

mjennings23

Power tools!

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:54 am

So it seems a range of experience and recommendations for a range of brands!

Found a pretty nice deal on a DeWalt kit including a Wrench, 2 4.0ah batteries, charger and case for around £240 which seems a fair price, can always add the smaller wrench later on too.

Basically I'm just tired of dealing with rusty bolts by hand, and with the Mrs getting her first car soon too I have no doubt my "workload" is going to be increased! Ironic really, since there's probably very little work to do on the Z these days that would require such tools that I decide to buy them now!

Would have been lovely to have when I was changing the front struts, that bloody pinch bolt!

Phoenixboy

Power tools!

Post by Phoenixboy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:05 pm

john-e89 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:10 am I’ve used Dewalt, Makita but found both to lunch their batteries very quickly, especially Makita which have a reputation for it, Dewalt are vastly overrated and tbh I won’t touch either of them again, not that I want an argument with Phoenixboy, if they work for him that’s good. I switched to Bosch blue line and won’t or buy anything else now, never had a problem and I’ve kicked the hell out of them, extremely robust, light, and a good range of tools. The 10.8V range will do what 14V on other tools do, they’re very powerful. :thumbsup:
Makita batteries was an issue a few years back, not sure if that's still the case.
in fairness most were replaced foc.
its horses for courses really, especially if its only light use.
most will do the job, some better than others.
shop around for deals with extra batteries.
you can never have enough batteries.
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Buckley06

Power tools!

Post by Buckley06 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:05 pm

For diy use anything other than titan is good :rofl:
Please check out my new project.
B06 gear knob and brake lever set.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=109279

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Power tools!

Post by john-e89 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Phoenixboy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:05 pm
john-e89 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:10 am I’ve used Dewalt, Makita but found both to lunch their batteries very quickly, especially Makita which have a reputation for it, Dewalt are vastly overrated and tbh I won’t touch either of them again, not that I want an argument with Phoenixboy, if they work for him that’s good. I switched to Bosch blue line and won’t or buy anything else now, never had a problem and I’ve kicked the hell out of them, extremely robust, light, and a good range of tools. The 10.8V range will do what 14V on other tools do, they’re very powerful. :thumbsup:
Makita batteries was an issue a few years back, not sure if that's still the case.
Going on experience it’s still a problem with Makita batteries. I lunched one of my mates just the other day using his circular saw, the damn thing had only done a few hours work over a year. The joiner I use for windows etc has about 8 lined up all knackered, he’s seething but has to keep going with them as he’s got so many tool bodies, it’d cost him a fortune to swap. :(
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Power tools!

Post by mr wilks » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Phoenixboy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:05 pm
Got to sit with John here , still very much hands on after 3o years a joiner ( sole trader subby) ive always avoided Makita due to the woeful battery life .
That may be sorted now ( i don't believe it is ) but too late as you generally find with tradesmen that once they buy one tool - battery - charger they then buy the whole range so unlikely to change brand unless they want to shell out thousands .
Bosch blue has served me very well , never had a issue with failing of any battery , charger , tool until the point of exhaustion ( 5yrs + )
That's not to say they make the best tools but across a broad range id say they do a very decent job for very fair spend .
The problem with upping the spend to Milwaukee / Festool is when they get stolen from site / van they cost far more to replace & same when they fall off scaffolds or get run over with machinery
As for 2ah 3ah 4 ah 5 ah batteries , it doesn't give the tool any more performance , just lasts longer between chargers & a downside being heavier so need to work out suitable battery size for the different tool / task required
Decent Bosch starter kit here https://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/bag-6rs- ... gL2SfD_BwE

Also worth noting if you do go for the newer brushless tools , avoid the copy batteries on the market as they might work ok but they will goose the tool in .
Otherwise ive got non Bosch branded 18v & 10.8v used alongside the branded Li coolpack ones & honestly have never seen a difference in use time or longevity yet cost under half the genuine ones .
Happy tooling , it gets addictive once you start buying :D

Metabo also a worthy brand to look at if & this kit looks very good value for the £730 https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/ ... 8eWdmhKjIU
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

andystone

Power tools!

Post by andystone » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Any chance that links to recommendations can be provided? I’m also unsure of which to buy.
2005 e85 z4, 2.5