Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New car purchase - dealer missed deposit

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Sae

Post by Sae » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:35 am

This is a bit if an odd situation but just thought Id throw it out there to the forum for comments.

Got a new car (non bmw) about a month ago.
Last week dealership got in touch to ask to confirm if the deposit transaction had left my account as they are missing it. Turns out it had not. But everythjing else in terms of deposit balance etc did and finance paperwork was signed off before taking delivery of the car.

So what is the legal position here? Payment isnt an issue, but just curious to know if I actually need to pay or what is the legal position of ownership if I refuse to pay.
For any guys in the trade, does this sort of thing happen a lot?
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:50 am

Not an expert, but I think you’d have a pretty hard time convincing a judge you should keep the money, especially as you’ve signed a contract agreeing to pay a specific amount, which you currently haven’t paid. If the money had left your account and they’d lost it internally, then fair enough, but admin aside, with the money having not left your account, you haven’t fulfilled your side of the contract and they are perfectly within their rights to come and take back the car if you don’t pay.

IMHO It’s a nice idea that you could keep the money as ‘they didn’t spot the error’, but it’s just that - a nice idea. I’d get onto them and pay it ASAP.
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

Sae

Post by Sae » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:27 am

Paying the deposit isnt a problem, but more suprised that it was missed... probably happens more often than I initially thought
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:27 am

How would you feel if somebody purchased something from you but then tried to hold onto the money?
Just pay it & keep your dignity :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:23 am

I really can't see this ending up well with anything other than you paying what you agreed to pay.

I'm actually surprised you've asked such a question.

Sae

Post by Sae » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:27 am How would you feel if somebody purchased something from you but then tried to hold onto the money?
Just pay it & keep your dignity :thumbsup:
Rob
The deposit payment details were put down with the order 3months prior to delivery, and then the dealer had a week in between full payment and delivery of car.

As I said payment isnt a problem, I was looking for insight to whether this is a common thing or dealer insight into processes... I thought they would have taken the deposit on entering an order for the car.

Was initially shocked as I thought it was a scam :(
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black