Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Problems with brakes

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Problems with brakes

Post by Nictrix » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:41 pm

I have posted this in the lounge as its not specific to any one model.
Has anybody had any problems with particular brake pads or discs?
The problems that I am having is with both the Z4 and the X6.
Last year I replaced the front discs and pads on the X6 with Brembos. After a few thousand miles the car developed juddering/wobbling while braking at speed which is getting worse, just like you would expect with a warped disc. Discs and pads were fitted by myself making sure that everything was spotless before fitting the new parts.
Fast forward to fitting the new discs and pads to the Z4, also Brembo, and after around 4000 miles it has developed almost the same juddering/wobbling while braking. Not quite to the same extent as they are smaller discs but its still doing it.
In my mind I have it that the Brembo discs and pads are somehow no good and am thinking of replacing with Pagid.
It really spoils the drive when you know that when the brake pedal is touched its going to pulsate.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

bigredrob

Problems with brakes

Post by bigredrob » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Hi, l am a newbie here, used to be an impreza owner,...lol, just bought a z4, this could be down to not bedding the brakes
/pads in, or holding your foot on the peddle when the brakes are hot, ie, after going down hill, a or "sporty" drive, and keeping pressure on the peddle when stationary, ie increasing heat in/on one part of the disc, hence warping/vibration. found this ope it helps.
https://www.carid.com/brembo/info/bedding-guide.html

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Problems with brakes

Post by patriot66 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:13 pm

I doubt it's the Brembo parts. I had all sorts of problems with my brakes 18 months ago after fitting Mtec discs and Red Stuff pads....never again ! I replaced the discs and pads all round with standard Brembo back in April and have had no issues whatsoever :thumbsup:
Maybe your problem lies with the calipers themselves i.e the pistons or sliders ? :(
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Problems with brakes

Post by Jembo » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:35 pm

bigredrob wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:01 pm Hi, l am a newbie here, used to be an impreza owner,...lol, just bought a z4, this could be down to not bedding the brakes /pads in, or holding your foot on the peddle when the brakes are hot, ie, after going down hill, a or "sporty" drive, and keeping pressure on the peddle when stationary, ie increasing heat in/on one part of the disc, hence warping/vibration. found this ope it helps.
https://www.carid.com/brembo/info/bedding-guide.html
Agreed, very rare it’s warped discs - have had an issue with our hybrid which uses regen technology to charge, they fitted revised discs with better cooling & so far issue hasn’t reappeared
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Problems with brakes

Post by Nictrix » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:44 pm

Some good points above and just to clear these up all brake parts are free moving, no sticking pistons, sliders etc. Everything was completely cleaned after removal along with the wheel hub being heavily wire brushed to remove any rust. Pads slipped into their places and were not jamming on anything. Wheels spin easily when the wheel is raised off the ground on both cars.
Both cars had no issues before replacing the brakes and are driven in the same manner as with the old brake parts.
I understand that there is a possibility that the bedding in procedure may not have been done correctly but is this more of an issue with Brembos over other brake manufacturers?
I mean how many cars are sold with the owners not bedding in the brakes properly as they dont know how with no issues?
Reading the guide that Bigredrob put up I am thinking it could be to do with the coating on the disc.
I have also read, although I struggle to believe it, that there is no such thing as warped brake discs and that the feeling of warped brake discs is down to brake pad material being left unevenly distributed around the disc.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Problems with brakes

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:54 pm

I bought a 335 xd new in July 2015. - I specced the M sport brakes.
They always felt a wee bit on the rough side and although good, they have never been outstanding.
When I had the car mot’d in July, I was overjoyed to be told that there’s a 20mm band of corrosion on the inner face of the front discs. They’ll stay like that until the spring when they will plunder my wallet by £640 to replace the kit.

I suspect there was rust on them from new. I’ve never ever had front brakes deteriorate so quickly. Maybe it’s because it gets treated gently most of the time?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

PaulG

Problems with brakes

Post by PaulG » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:15 am

When you fitted them, did you check the run-out? Most people don't that I have seen.

You can get the disks skimmed on the car, though you should have new pads fitted afterwards.

My wife's car had something similar with pulsing. Had the fronts skimmed but it returned. Long story short, but the backs were also warped and that seemed to be causing some feedback to the front caliper. Had to have new discs front and back at the same time and it's been fine since.
03 Roadster 3.0L SMG - Now sadly gone and much missed.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Problems with brakes

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:25 am

I will be friction lining transfer that’s causing the issues

The thing is, withall cheap brake pad and disc manufacturers, the products are made of crap.

Brembo, pagid, eicher to name a few are all under the same umbrella of parts supply and usually sold through ECP..

Who knows what’s actually coming out of that brightly coloured boxes you have been supplied with

philbo909

Problems with brakes

Post by philbo909 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:38 am

I had a set of brembo discs/pads on the front last year that weren't flat from factory, so it does happen. Replaced free of charge and no issues after
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Problems with brakes

Post by Nictrix » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:04 pm

philbo909 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:38 am I had a set of brembo discs/pads on the front last year that weren't flat from factory, so it does happen. Replaced free of charge and no issues after
I take it these were checked before fitting though?
It would be difficult to prove that something was faulty from the factory after running for a few thousand miles.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Problems with brakes

Post by Nictrix » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:07 pm

PaulG wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:15 am When you fitted them, did you check the run-out? Most people don't that I have seen.
You can get the disks skimmed on the car, though you should have new pads fitted afterwards.
No they were not checked for run out when fitting.
Im not sure on the cost for skimming a disc or where I could get it done but somehow I think it would almost be cheaper to replace the disc especially if you have to fit new pads anyway.

Wildfire

Problems with brakes

Post by Wildfire » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Exactly the same issue here. First my front discs were totally shot, so I replaced them and the pads and it was ok. Then it came back and I realised it was a ridge on the rear discs.

Replaced and it was all fine again, for a bit.

At the moment it occurs when braking from 60mph+

I think it's actually a sticky caliper / seals on the way out. Whenever I fiddle with the brakes I think I free it up temporarily and it is ok. Then after a bit of not driving they get sticky again.

Pop off the calipers and give them a clean and try and free them up.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Problems with brakes

Post by Nictrix » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:44 pm

After being in my shed and finding a box of Brembo pads for the X6 I realise that I have missed a step.
The X6 needed front pads a while ago and I replaced them with a set of Brembos.
After a few weeks I had the pulsing in the pedal and steering shake when braking from upwards of 50mph.
I took it to get checked to see what the issue was and was told one of the front discs was warped.
I then swapped both the discs and pads on the front for a new full set of Brembos and the problem came back with these.
Before changing anything there was no pulsing through the pedal or steering wheel shake.
The problem to me seems to be the pads and how they are bedded in as the problem arose with a used set of discs with new pads.
I have cleaned up the set of pads that were used for a short time and am going to try fitting these to see if the problem changes.
If it doesnt I will probably just get a set of BMW discs and pads and go from there.
I may have to buy a run out gauge to check this also.

Ronk, I would highly doubt if there was any band of corrosion on the rears as the car is used daily so shouldnt have any build up.
This will be checked while swapping out the pads though.

PaulG

Problems with brakes

Post by PaulG » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:07 pm
PaulG wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:15 am When you fitted them, did you check the run-out? Most people don't that I have seen.
No they were not checked for run out when fitting.
Im not sure on the cost for skimming a disc or where I could get it done but somehow I think it would almost be cheaper to replace the disc especially if you have to fit new pads anyway.
https://skimmydiscs.co.uk/ will find your local garage that can do it. From what I remember, it wasn't expensive to do.
03 Roadster 3.0L SMG - Now sadly gone and much missed.

philbo909

Problems with brakes

Post by philbo909 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:21 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:04 pm
philbo909 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:38 am I had a set of brembo discs/pads on the front last year that weren't flat from factory, so it does happen. Replaced free of charge and no issues after
I take it these were checked before fitting though?
It would be difficult to prove that something was faulty from the factory after running for a few thousand miles.
Oh after a few thousand miles it will be brake pad deposits on the discs, could get them skimmed if a bit of hard braking doesn't solve it?
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young