Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What did the EU ever do for us?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Thanks for your feedback all, inc Zeld4 for taking the time for your line by line comments & Perry.

Having received an Electoral Role check recently can only surmise something’s up... as well as my Mrs’ who’s a NHS midwife who told me they’re now short of 40,000 staff UK wide & in last 12 months have overspent by £3 billion on agency staff - apparently they’re now begging Philippinoes to come over to help plug the gap.

What is certain any final deal will go through Parliament, and, every MP won’t want the final responsibility on their shoulders... hence why I see they will make it another people vote
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Surely as 'Article 50' has been triggered, there is no option to remain...whatever the outcome of another vote is!

We either have to accept a s**t deal, or no deal :poke:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Zeld4

Post by Zeld4 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:50 pm

mmm-five wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:25 pm Surely as 'Article 50' has been triggered, there is no option to remain...whatever the outcome of another vote is!

We either have to accept a s**t deal, or no deal :poke:
This is what most people fail to realise, we can get a vote on whether to accept the deal, but it’s not a vote to remain, we leave no mattet what. Why don’t people understand that?

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Jembo wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:20 pm What is certain any final deal will go through Parliament, and, every MP won’t want the final responsibility on their shoulders... hence why I see they will make it another people vote
Given that the details of the deal won't be known until around the beginning of November (possibly later), and the UK leaves the EU on 29th March it appears that there won't be enough time to organise a referendum on the deal

If I understand the process below correctly, timescales are ~12 weeks to frame/assess the question, minimum of 10 days for the legislative process (looked that up), 26 weeks for preparation (the 10-week campaign period can run in parallel with this).

So I make that approx. 40 weeks lead time to hold a referendum - as of today there are only 28 weeks until the UK leaves the EU and that'll be down to 21 weeks at the beginning of November.

--------

What is required for a referendum to be held in the UK?

Legislation
Primary legislation is needed to provide the legal basis for the referendum and to specify details that are not in standing legislation, including the referendum question, the franchise, the date of the referendum, and the conduct rules for the poll (although the latter two are often ultimately left to secondary legislation).

Question testing
The Electoral Commission has a statutory duty to assess the ‘intelligibility’ of the referendum question, a process that usually takes 12 weeks.

Preparation for the poll itself
The Electoral Commission and local officials need time to prepare for administering the poll and regulating campaigners. The Commission recommends that the legislation should be clear at least six months before it is due to be complied with.

Regulated referendum period
The UK’s referendum legislation – the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act (PPERA) – specifies a minimum 10-week campaign period, during which campaign regulation applies.
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:42 pm

ranski wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:22 am
ben g wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:52 pmforget all the rest. It's all because of the foreigners :headbang:
You sound as narrow minded as the bigots that carry this ideology. Well done.
Someone quite clearly doesn't under sarcasm :lol: you really think I'm that stupid? :cry:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Zeld4

Post by Zeld4 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:50 pm

ben g wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:42 pm
ranski wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:22 am
ben g wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:52 pmforget all the rest. It's all because of the foreigners :headbang:
You sound as narrow minded as the bigots that carry this ideology. Well done.
Someone quite clearly doesn't under sarcasm :lol: you really think I'm that stupid? :cry:
Ranski strikes again!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:54 pm

I voted to stay in simply because I didn't understand the implications if we left, the problem is the opt outers didn't either except through rose tinted specs over immigration. We shall pay the price of ignorance.

Tim.

slick

Post by slick » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:17 pm

A complete load of bollocks.........written by a remainer
E85 2.5 sterling grey
E89 3.0 se
Porsche 987 Boxster 3.4S
E89 3.5i
TVR Chimerea 4 litres of rolling thunder
Corvette C6 a moment of insanity
E89 3.0i

greg81

Post by greg81 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:21 pm

What a f***ing mess. Makes me *almost* want to vote for Scottish Independence if welcomed into the EU.

*almost*...

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Seriously thinking of selling up my UK property and swapping my UK passport for a Dutch one...seeing as I live in the lowlands most of the time these days anyway.

What incentives are there for UK expats living in the EU to go back to mayhem and misery??
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Chris_D wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:03 pm What incentives are there for UK expats living in the EU to go back to mayhem and misery??
Is living in the Netherlands better than living in the UK?

As far as contributions to the EU per capita goes, the Netherlands is by far the largest contributor.
Taxes are high here anyways.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:25 pm

GuidoK wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:12 pm
Chris_D wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:03 pm What incentives are there for UK expats living in the EU to go back to mayhem and misery??
Is living in the Netherlands better than living in the UK?

As far as contributions to the EU per capita goes, the Netherlands is by far the largest contributor.
Taxes are high here anyways.
True Guido.
But overall it's just better here I find. True, taxes are higher and I'm currently double-taxed for a LOT of things, but that's offset by the higher standard of living in The Netherlands overall.
Put it this way; when I ended up in Hospital for 3 months with pericarditis I'm just glad I got sick here and not the UK as the level of care I received was truly exemplary. In the UK I could have easily ended up contracting MRSA!

And a big plus is that there's no 'culture of drinking' like there is in the UK. Go into any major city in the UK on a Friday night and I challenge anyone NOT to spot a fight/on-street puker/drunkard/p!sser every 100m! You don't get that here - peeps just go out to have a nice time and socialize.
Took me ages to get the concept of 'gezelligheid' but now I totally feed into it. Go into any major city in The Netherlands and you will be hard-pressed to find drunkenness and fighting....ok, except maybe some parts of Rotterdam :lol:

I'm here to stay, for the moment at least and with brexit looming I'm losing incentive to even think about returning to the UK anytime soon.

:)
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Yes street violence is pretty low here and certainly gun related or stabbings/alcohol related etc. Not so 'opgefokt' as in other countries.
But its an expensive country and especially if you're a car enthousiast alas. (housing to store your car is expensive too...)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:10 pm

TitanTim wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:54 pm I voted to stay in simply because I didn't understand the implications if we left, the problem is the opt outers didn't either except through rose tinted specs over immigration. We shall pay the price of ignorance.
The problem is, Tim, that both side lied - nobody knew/knows exactly what will happen when we leave and anyone that says they do is talking bollox.

The truth is that any one campaigning for something will always present their view of the best possible case, those campaigning against it will present the worst possible case.

The government of the day decided to hold a referendum, the public voted, the government accepted the democratic decision, the article 50 notice was delivered, and, unless the government performs a, pretty unlikely, volte-face (it'd be political suicide), come March 29th we are leaving the EU.

There will not be a last-minute referendum that will change everything and people need to stop living in cloud-cuckoo land and accept that we're leaving the EU and make the best of it - it won't be the end of the world!

BREXIT will be neither a British Utopia nor Hell-on-Earth, it will lie somewhere between, just where remains to be seen but we will all get over the angst, survive and continue with our lives just as we did after the financial meltdown in 2007-8 - I'm sure we'll have it nowhere as bad as the poor Greek families that have lived through hell in order to remain part of the eurozone...
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:29 pm

greg81 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:21 pm What a f***ing mess. Makes me *almost* want to vote for Scottish Independence if welcomed into the EU.

*almost*...
I've lived in England all my life, but despite there being far more people in the UK living in England we never got a vote in the Scottish Independence referendum! :headbang: Why is that?

Let Scotland do their own thing - at least I'll no longer have to help subsidise the fishy party! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black