Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

F1 Halo proven

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ben g
Lifer
Lifer

F1 Halo proven

Post by ben g » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:15 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:47 pm Personally I was a very very reluctant supporter of the halo brought in this year, I thought it spoilt the looks and ethos of open cockpit single seaters but if it stopped another incident like the Jules Bianchi tradegy I had to begrudgingly support it then after the Belgium GP who can argue against it? Who knows how C Leclerc would have fared without it, we’ll obviously never know but looking at all angles I think he would have been hurt definitely. Horrible looking frame but certainly does it job.
Except it wouldn't have stopped Jules Bianchi from dieing, so it's pointless using that as an argument for it. He died due to the sudden deceleration, not a hit to the head, according to the professionals.

I don't mind it anymore. Yes it looks terrible, but who really cares? F1 has become so boring, so it makes sense to add more boring and ugly stuff to the cars.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

F1 Halo proven

Post by john-e89 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:17 am

ben g wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:15 pm
john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:47 pm Personally I was a very very reluctant supporter of the halo brought in this year, I thought it spoilt the looks and ethos of open cockpit single seaters but if it stopped another incident like the Jules Bianchi tradegy I had to begrudgingly support it then after the Belgium GP who can argue against it? Who knows how C Leclerc would have fared without it, we’ll obviously never know but looking at all angles I think he would have been hurt definitely. Horrible looking frame but certainly does it job.
Except it wouldn't have stopped Jules Bianchi from dieing, so it's pointless using that as an argument for it. He died due to the sudden deceleration, not a hit to the head, according to the professionals.

I don't mind it anymore. Yes it looks terrible, but who really cares? F1 has become so boring, so it makes sense to add more boring and ugly stuff to the cars.
The point I’m making about the halo in Bianchi’s accident is that his helmet hit the counter weight, it didn’t rupture as it was a glancing blow, on the crane meaning the counter weight was low, therefore the halo would have taken the hit first along its side. As it’s curved in design who’s to say it wouldn’t have deflected the car enough to avoid it getting suddenly wedged by the air box and roll over hoop enough so that the car hit the absorbing barriers instead so taking the inertia out of the impact and preventing the sudden stop injury.

Nobody will ever know obviously but it’s hardly ‘pointless’, this accident was one of the main reasons, amongst others, why the halo was designed in the first place.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

z4pilot

F1 Halo proven

Post by z4pilot » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Interesting that max verstappens view of the leclerc accident is that his head was never in danger and the halo made no difference. Yes the halo was impacted, but his head wasn't in the impact area, so in his view, the halo wasn't a contributing factor to the outcome.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

Flyingfifer

F1 Halo proven

Post by Flyingfifer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:30 am

RickRob wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:49 pm I cannot understand why the front strut has to be in the centre. Surely two front struts, one either side, would be better from a driver's viewpoint?
+1 although I'm assuming that its placed in such a way as to sit between the focus point of the eyes (in line with your nose) effectively becoming peripheral (try it hold your hand in front of you and focus at something 20+ meters away) and when turning corners its out of the picture all together tbh its not all that common for an F1 driver to need to look straight ahead for any real length of time anyway.
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

brillomaster

F1 Halo proven

Post by brillomaster » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:43 am

How about... we let the drivers decide if they want to run a halo or not? Lets see how many non supporters would actually run without one, given the choice?