Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Changing reg plates

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Changing reg plates

Post by Nictrix » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:51 pm

What exactly needs to be done?
For instance you buy one from DVLA and once you have received the paperwork what next?
DVLA will send a new logbook and change the tax and obviously you have to tell your insurance company but what about the MOT?
I think I read that DVLA no longer give you a new MOT so do you need to re-MOT the car?
And do you have to do anything to keep the existing plate the car was registered with?
Sorry for what might be stupid questions but I don't seem to be able to find exact answers.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Keet

Changing reg plates

Post by Keet » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:11 pm

Once you get the paperwork from the DVLA, there will be a document stating that you have the right to use that number. You will have to take that to the number plate manufacturer for them to make up your new plates. No need to re-MOT the car and we've just got the old plates still lying about somewhere. Oh and yes just tell the insurance you've changed the number.
Keith

Alpine White, 2014 e89 20i M Sport (It's my wife's really :D)

rally-chris

Changing reg plates

Post by rally-chris » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Best thing is that you can now do the transfer online instantly, no more waiting around for plate authorisation forms and new tax discs to be posted out by the DVLA.
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Sidewaze Samm

Changing reg plates

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:33 pm

rally-chris wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:47 pm Best thing is that you can now do the transfer online instantly, no more waiting around for plate authorisation forms and new tax discs to be posted out by the DVLA.
This should be the case, but if DVLA consider there is an "issue" with the car then it will all have to be done by post. Happened to me recently - transferring a number on DVLA said it had to be done manually because "the car has spent some time unregistered in the past" (dealer forecourt?). They then also wanted a repeat manual process when the number was transferred off two years later :headbang: PITA.
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Changing reg plates

Post by Nictrix » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Keet wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:11 pm Once you get the paperwork from the DVLA, there will be a document stating that you have the right to use that number. You will have to take that to the number plate manufacturer for them to make up your new plates. No need to re-MOT the car and we've just got the old plates still lying about somewhere. Oh and yes just tell the insurance you've changed the number.
So the MOT being on the wrong reg number is not a problem?
I assume that because the vin number is on the MOT that should be enough.
The reg that would come off the car does that just lie dormant until its needed again or do forms need to be filled in to keep it?

rally-chris

Changing reg plates

Post by rally-chris » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:37 pm
Keet wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:11 pm Once you get the paperwork from the DVLA, there will be a document stating that you have the right to use that number. You will have to take that to the number plate manufacturer for them to make up your new plates. No need to re-MOT the car and we've just got the old plates still lying about somewhere. Oh and yes just tell the insurance you've changed the number.
So the MOT being on the wrong reg number is not a problem?
I assume that because the vin number is on the MOT that should be enough.
The reg that would come off the car does that just lie dormant until its needed again or do forms need to be filled in to keep it?
Remember that the MOT is now held electronically these days, it is not the bit of paper given to you by the garage that does the test; the DVLA can therefore instantly update the online MOT history to the new reg number and they don’t send you a new paper certificate. You only have to wait for a new V5 to arrive in the post with the new system but the plate transfer can be done immediately unless there are unusual circumstances with the particular vehicle as above.

The old registration will normally lay dormant as you say, until such time that you transfer the cherished plate off the car again.

MalNCH

Changing reg plates

Post by MalNCH » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:38 pm

I just did it yesterday, I swapped from one car to another, I already owned the plate, took 5 minutes online, not sure you can retain the old plate as such, if you decide to remove the plates and move to a new car the old plates get assigned back again, at least that's what happened with mine, no extra forms to fill out. You get sent (emailed if you do it online) an eV948/1 Number Plate Authorization Certificate that you need to get your new plates made up.
2004 E85 3.0i, Titan Silver Metallic.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Changing reg plates

Post by Nictrix » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks for all the info.
DVLAs website wasn't exactly clear on the MOT but they had a warning that the car must be MOTd.
I wasn't sure whether this meant a replacement had to be arranged from the MOT station with the new number on it or not.

rally-chris

Changing reg plates

Post by rally-chris » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:55 pm

You can only transfer a registration number ‘off’ an MOT’d car, I.e.you can’t find an old wreck with a nice number plate and transfer it onto a roadworthy car.

Chris

MefiEcosse

Changing reg plates

Post by MefiEcosse » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:35 pm

The process is so easy you actually think you must be doing something wrong.
looking forward to seeing the new plates! :thumbsup:
Alpina Roaster S Lux #310 - Titanium Silver
E85 2.5i Titanium Silver 2003 - Sold Feb 2018

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Changing reg plates

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:52 am

I seem to remember reading that if you use a private plate, you should inform the insurance that the plate does not form part of the value incase of a total loss.

If you are unfortunate to suffer a total loss, the plate should be moved onto a retention certificate ASAP
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Steve84N

Changing reg plates

Post by Steve84N » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Yes, the plate belongs to the car not you so if the insurance own your car they own the plate.

You don't always get the original plate back when you remove the private one but most of the time it seems to happen.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc