Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carly, be aware..

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Carly, be aware..

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:14 am

Ok, after a lot of delving into the software in my car, and I mean down to actual code levels... It appears that when Carly "codes" modules, it actually doesn't.. It rewrites the software on the module to software from another module that has the required features. Yes, it works BUT it's flagged up as a checksum error by (genuine) ista, AND also changes the module software date. This causes problems with subsequent reprogramming and updating using bmw (ista) software as it generates a mismatch between vin and software date/version.

This may not cause a problem for a lot of people, but it's something to be aware of, especially if you use Carly to code cars less than 3 years old, so therefore still in warranty.

I found this out after a LOT of digging and reading code. Turns out Carly had actually changed the firmware of the footwell module in my e70 to that of a 2010 car when I used it to code a few things. This then caused a problem as ista expected a 2012 module after cross referencing the vin. Ended up having to reflash the middle to get it to communicate with ista..

Just a heads up..

Mike.

Keet

Carly, be aware..

Post by Keet » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:46 am

Thanks for the heads up Mike.

Not wanting to take this thread of topic, could I ask if you could offer your opinions on the thread I posted previously regarding an alternative.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=108628
Keith

Alpine White, 2014 e89 20i M Sport (It's my wife's really :D)

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Carly, be aware..

Post by kis » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:24 am

This is interesting. I've found, which could be related, that sometimes carly forgets some of my coding? For example I'm sure it's now forgotton to self lock at 5mph. No idea why, I'll have to decode it and then re-code it.

Not a huge overall problem IMO (back to thread topic), it's just nice if Carly did the coding... then it should be done properly!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Carly, be aware..

Post by enzed4 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:46 am

Very interesting, and I'm not doubting you've found some concerning issues with the way Carly writes changes, but I'm puzzled as to how it can actually change the FW version of a module? Are you saying it writes the entire module instead of changing just the feature/item/code itself? Seems a very drastic way to make what are usually only minor changes. Unfortunately I don't have ISTA so can't check my modules. Before using Carly I used NCS (Dummies) to program, I wonder if that would show up any version mismatches?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Carly, be aware..

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:53 am

enzed4 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:46 am Very interesting, and I'm not doubting you've found some concerning issues with the way Carly writes changes, but I'm puzzled as to how it can actually change the FW version of a module? Are you saying it writes the entire module instead of changing just the feature/item/code itself? Seems a very drastic way to make what are usually only minor changes. Unfortunately I don't have ISTA so can't check my modules. Before using Carly I used NCS (Dummies) to program, I wonder if that would show up any version mismatches?
NCS will show up a mismatch as an error when reading the module, THAT'S how I initially discovered the problem..

Mike

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Carly, be aware..

Post by enzed4 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:09 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:53 am
enzed4 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:46 am Very interesting, and I'm not doubting you've found some concerning issues with the way Carly writes changes, but I'm puzzled as to how it can actually change the FW version of a module? Are you saying it writes the entire module instead of changing just the feature/item/code itself? Seems a very drastic way to make what are usually only minor changes. Unfortunately I don't have ISTA so can't check my modules. Before using Carly I used NCS (Dummies) to program, I wonder if that would show up any version mismatches?
NCS will show up a mismatch as an error when reading the module, THAT'S how I initially discovered the problem..

Mike
I'll have to fire it up (NCS) and see what it shows.
Cheers.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Carly, be aware..

Post by kis » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:45 pm

And blow the layer of dust off it? Judging by your coment? :lol:
Last time I did that with an old laptop the board fried part way through boot up... oh well! Hopefully yours goes much better!

Be interesting to see if more people can see/view the mis-match now that we know it can happen?
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

un1eash

Carly, be aware..

Post by un1eash » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:05 pm

Since the price hikes on Carly I've been using E-sys to code.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Carly, be aware..

Post by GuidoK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:03 pm

un1eash wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:05 pm Since the price hikes on Carly I've been using E-sys to code.
But not on your z4 I presume?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Joycey

Carly, be aware..

Post by Joycey » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Just so we dont start another misconception Carly cannot and does not have the abiltity to overwrite or upload new firmware, what it does is makes updates to what ever firmware is installed to a perticular module. Just happened to be somthing I was looking into a while ago.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Carly, be aware..

Post by ph001 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:35 pm

Hmmm... looks like we have some conflicting info here then!
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Carly, be aware..

Post by gannet » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:48 pm

I don't see how it can rewrite firmware for some of the coding - it impleies that bmw somehow release software with options disabled -

On my Mini for example it has artificial engine sounds (an increasingly popular (?) feature). You cannot turn it off in the car - and BMW/Mini deny it can be turned off without disconnecting the unit / speaker.

Yet Carly can do it (thankfully - it was giving me headaches)...
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Joycey

Carly, be aware..

Post by Joycey » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:35 pm

gannet wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:48 pm I don't see how it can rewrite firmware for some of the coding - it impleies that bmw somehow release software with options disabled -

On my Mini for example it has artificial engine sounds (an increasingly popular (?) feature). You cannot turn it off in the car - and BMW/Mini deny it can be turned off without disconnecting the unit / speaker.

That's exactly what they do, when you purchase a BMW new you can choose what function you want (some additional cost)

Mad I know.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Carly, be aware..

Post by gannet » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Joycey wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:35 pm
gannet wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:48 pm I don't see how it can rewrite firmware for some of the coding - it impleies that bmw somehow release software with options disabled -

That's exactly what they do, when you purchase a BMW new you can choose what function you want (some additional cost)

Mad I know.
the active sound is not amongst those options...
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Joycey

Carly, be aware..

Post by Joycey » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:39 pm

gannet wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:06 pm
Joycey wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Mad I know.
the active sound is not amongst those options...
I was referring to options that can be turnt on or off from from factory.