Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bank Fraud

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
IRD

Bank Fraud

Post by IRD » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Just had my credit card hacked for over a thousand pounds in three days. I only noticed when checking my accounts because of the sums involved. I had paid my card up to date on 26th July, not spent anything else on it but saw I owed nearly £900 with another transaction pending to take the amount well over the thousand.
The b******s had been purchasing bikes and parts at Halfords online. The bank is sorting it out and hopefully I won’t be out of pocket. How they have got my details I don’t know. I only use the card with Amazon and PayPal. So check your accounts guys. The bank seemed to think that this is just another organised crime activity. One thing I do know is that it’s not good for my blood pressure.

Keet

Bank Fraud

Post by Keet » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Lousy b******s, hope you get things sorted satisfactorily with the bank.
Keith

Alpine White, 2014 e89 20i M Sport (It's my wife's really :D)

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Bank Fraud

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:13 pm

It's a bit of a pain but when I had a card cloned it was all sorted out without much effort from me, just a little inconvenient, sure you'll be alright :thumbsup:
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Bank Fraud

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:22 pm

If they've bought items online there must be a delivery address?

IRD

Bank Fraud

Post by IRD » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Thanks guys. It looks hopeful. The bank tells me refunds will be made by the end of the week and that a new card will be sent. I initially thought the wife had gone on a spending spree but it didn’t take long for the penny to drop that Halfords isn’t really her kind of shop.
The bank thinks it is organised crime. The criminals wouldn’t have items sent to them rather they send in their minions to the shop to collect the order. The woman I spoke to from the bank said often these people owe the criminals money and are coerced into doing the dirty work. If anything goes wrong the small fry get caught.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Bank Fraud

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Or have something delivered to some unsuspecting address, wait nearby for the delivery and catch them coming to the door, "thanks mate, I was just on my way out..."
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

IRD

Bank Fraud

Post by IRD » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:29 pm Or have something delivered to some unsuspecting address, wait nearby for the delivery and catch them coming to the door, "thanks mate, I was just on my way out..."
Could be. They are up to every dodge in the book. This is the first time anything like this has happened to me. I will certainly make sure I check bank accounts more often than I have done in the past.

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Bank Fraud

Post by RustyZ4 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Its a bugger, had my credit card, hacked last month, nearly £700, the credit card company were brilliant, so apart from waiting for new cards, they couldn't have made it easier
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Bank Fraud

Post by TitanTim » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Credit card companies are pretty good in this respect as they deal with it all time. Luckily when it's happened to me they have stopped the card and transaction before it went through. This was with MBNA. Their fraud Dept called me to let me know they had noticed suspicious activity on my card so cancelled it before any harm was done.

Tim.

IRD

Bank Fraud

Post by IRD » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:57 pm

Thanks again for the comments.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Bank Fraud

Post by buzyg » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:37 pm

B%%tards,. Good to hear the bank are playing ball. Hope it's sorted quickly. :)