Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

English (London) MOT?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Phil-E30

English (London) MOT?

Post by Phil-E30 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:23 pm

Evening all,

Hope you're adapting to the newly-Mediterranean climate.... I wanted to ask a quick question, if I may.

Having lived in London for nearly 4 years, this will be the first year I need to MOT a car whilst here (the Zed lives in Ireland). I need to MOT my X3 and I have absolutely no idea how to go about it! :rofl: What is the process for organising, how long does it take etc? Also, if anyone can recommend an MOT garage somewhere near Battersea, that would be very much appreciated!

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologise."
Muhammad Ali

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

English (London) MOT?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:09 pm

You just find one place, pay and turn up :lol:

Helps if you check lights and ting before!
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

srhutch

English (London) MOT?

Post by srhutch » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 pm

Find either a council run one or a mot only place so they don’t try and find work to do.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

English (London) MOT?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:48 pm

In fairness my last 3 have been at Halfords with no dramas. Jack and tools in the boot though!
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Phil-E30

English (London) MOT?

Post by Phil-E30 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:20 pm

srhutch wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 pm Find either a council run one or a mot only place so they don’t try and find work to do.
This is the bit I was most concerned about tbh. All the test centres in the North of Ireland are state-run, and they don't do any repairs, therefore the conflict of interest doesn't exist. I might give the council run MOT a go, most of the ones located nearby where I am seem to be garages and MOT centres.
Muhammad Ali

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

English (London) MOT?

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:31 pm

I can understand your concern about them looking for work - but they aren't all like that. You just need to find a good one - recommendation is the best way.

I've been using the same one for a couple of years with no issues, although it is basically a body-shop that also does MOTs. (And was recommended by a mate who knows the proprietor)! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

English (London) MOT?

Post by Jembo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:40 pm

The one thing you must do is be reasonably sure it will pass.

The XC60 went in recently where one of the fog lights was out - apparently (or so I was told) if anything now fails it immediately becomes unroadworthy & cannot be used on a public road, unless fixed... whereas before u had until your old MOT expiry date to fix it.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

English (London) MOT?

Post by Nictrix » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Jembo wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:40 pm The one thing you must do is be reasonably sure it will pass.

The XC60 went in recently where one of the fog lights was out - apparently (or so I was told) if anything now fails it immediately becomes unroadworthy & cannot be used on a public road, unless fixed... whereas before u had until your old MOT expiry date to fix it.
How would this work with a garage that only does MOTs?
Would you have to have the car transported to a garage to fix what it failed on?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

English (London) MOT?

Post by Jembo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Nictrix wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:55 pm
Jembo wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:40 pm The one thing you must do is be reasonably sure it will pass.

Would you have to have the car transported to a garage to fix what it failed on?
Does raise lots of questions if correct, but can’t confirm if true.. just something to check up on if you’re not 100% certain it’ll pass

Lifer 54

Phil-E30

English (London) MOT?

Post by Phil-E30 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:23 pm

I'm not 100% sure it'll pass, but I'm 99% sure it'll pass. If that is true (and hopefully it's not) that would just reinforce my opinion that garages are certain to find "problems". I don't think it's a good system.
Muhammad Ali

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

English (London) MOT?

Post by RickRob » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:27 pm

Nictrix wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:55 pm

The place I use doesn't do repairs, but does sell bulbs and windscreen wipers. I suspect that a lot of us have our favourite independent garages, most of which don't do MOTs. Accordingly many will get driven after failing its MoT to get fixed.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

srhutch

English (London) MOT?

Post by srhutch » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:27 pm

I don’t think that’s quite true Jembo. Even with the old system a failure would void your existing ticket. You are effectively driving an unroadworthy car. The police will have access to this as the result is posted online instantly so could do you for driving an unroad worthy vehicle.

You can of course still drive it home from the testing station.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

English (London) MOT?

Post by Jembo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:06 am

srhutch wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:27 pm

I don’t think that’s quite true Jembo. Even with the old system a failure would void your existing ticket. You are effectively driving an unroadworthy car. The police will have access to this as the result is posted online instantly so could do you for driving an unroad worthy vehicle.

From Googling it’s now clear under new rules if fails test is immediately unroadworthy - this I would argue means u can’t drive it home & what the garage was saying.

I suggest wherever you decide to go ask the question what happens if it fails - will they still let you drive it home?

The Volvo garage made the point about the old MOT rules & was the way those local to me had been working - what used to happen rightly or wrongly is immaterial now.

One thing that hasn’t changed is even if you’re stopped a day or so after passing an MOT & something’s happened that makes it unroadworthy, a valid MOT won’t save you.

Lifer 54

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

English (London) MOT?

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:39 am

Jembo wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:06 am
srhutch wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:27 pm

From Googling it’s now clear under new rules if fails test is immediately unroadworthy - this I would argue means u can’t drive it home & what the garage was saying.

I suggest wherever you decide to go ask the question what happens if it fails - will they still let you drive it home?

The Volvo garage made the point about the old MOT rules & was the way those local to me had been working - what used to happen rightly or wrongly is immaterial now.

One thing that hasn’t changed is even if you’re stopped a day or so after passing an MOT & something’s happened that makes it unroadworthy, a valid MOT won’t save you.
There must be different levels here surely, a blown fog light wouldn’t render the car unroadworthy (how could it, some cars don’t even have fog lights) Bald tyres/worn out brakes I could understand.
Here’s some info, a fail doesn’t automatically mean the vehicle is unroadworthy
https://www.autonetinsurance.co.uk/auto ... y-vehicle-
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

brillomaster

English (London) MOT?

Post by brillomaster » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:46 am

indeed, the DVLA states that a car can be driven away from a failed MOT, as long as the current MOT certificate is still valid, and no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

a single blown fog light would not be dangerous, assuming the other foglight still works and the headlights work. if ALL the lights have failed, that would be a dangerous fault and you would not be able to drive it away.