Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

am i being too picky?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

am i being too picky?

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Anmarube wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:45 pm Have you tried polishing the rear quarters with a rotary or DA to bring them back clarity wise?
Love Phoenix yellow. Stunning on the right car. We had a customer come in last week who had his E class Merc re painted in Phoenix yellow and it looked awful. Just shows that on the right car it's the dogs.

Anyway, back to yours...I would polish the quarters and go from their. :thumbsup:
I have mate, had the rotary on them with some menzerna fast cut and then SRP and the result is above :cry: it's just one of those things I'll have to get over, as you say it's a lovely colour and this detracts from the overall car now for me a bit
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

am i being too picky?

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:53 pm

Thanks for the response guys, think I'll just leave it rather than piss about blending quarters and stuff. Just have to hope someone rear ends me and I get it done properly through the insurance :lol:
18 Z4s owned to date.

Anmarube

am i being too picky?

Post by Anmarube » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:56 pm

jamie_z4 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:52 pm
Anmarube wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:45 pm Have you tried polishing the rear quarters with a rotary or DA to bring them back clarity wise?
Love Phoenix yellow. Stunning on the right car. We had a customer come in last week who had his E class Merc re painted in Phoenix yellow and it looked awful. Just shows that on the right car it's the dogs.

Anyway, back to yours...I would polish the quarters and go from their. :thumbsup:
I have mate, had the rotary on them with some menzerna fast cut and then SRP and the result is above :cry: it's just one of those things I'll have to get over, as you say it's a lovely colour and this detracts from the overall car now for me a bit
I did think it looked polished. Maybe polish the bumper to tone it down a little. Other than that, yeah no help I'm afraid. Car still looks bloody nice though mate. :thumbsup:

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

am i being too picky?

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Anmarube wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:56 pm
jamie_z4 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:52 pm

I did think it looked polished. Maybe polish the bumper to tone it down a little. Other than that, yeah no help I'm afraid. Car still looks bloody nice though mate. :thumbsup:
cheers mate, i really do overthink things and looking at it again in the sun tonight it is quite minor, you'd really have to have a keen eye to notice it :thumbsup:
18 Z4s owned to date.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

am i being too picky?

Post by Z4M-2006 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:19 pm

In the first pic it looks a mile out,way too beige and opposed to yellow of the rear 1/4 panel.

Looks the base amount of gold isnt correct.

Did he have his own mixing scheme,scanner or did he just buy paint off paint code ?

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

am i being too picky?

Post by patriot66 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:52 pm

A few years back I worked for Halliwell Jones and matching repairs to existing paintwork in any light coloured metallic was a nightmare ! The robots that paint the car at the factory are programmed to spray the absolute minimum amount of coloured basecoat over the primer....annually this saves them an awful lot of money ! Unfortunately this creates the problem of the primer showing through or 'grinning through' this very thin layer of colour coat. This alters the actual shade of colour basecoat. If you then imagine a guy in a bodyshop spraying his own primer (different shade ?) by hand followed by light metallic colour coat and lacquer. He is probably spraying all layers several microns thicker and possibly not as evenly as the factory. No wonder it's hard to get a match ! :(
Your average man in the street would probably never notice it but it would annoy the hell out of me, as it obviously is you too ! :x
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

am i being too picky?

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:19 pm In the first pic it looks a mile out,way too beige and opposed to yellow of the rear 1/4 panel.

Looks the base amount of gold isnt correct.

Did he have his own mixing scheme,scanner or did he just buy paint off paint code ?
he did some spray test cards and matched it with the rear quarter.
18 Z4s owned to date.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

am i being too picky?

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:05 pm

patriot66 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:52 pm A few years back I worked for Halliwell Jones and matching repairs to existing paintwork in any light coloured metallic was a nightmare ! The robots that paint the car at the factory are programmed to spray the absolute minimum amount of coloured basecoat over the primer....annually this saves them an awful lot of money ! Unfortunately this creates the problem of the primer showing through or 'grinning through' this very thin layer of colour coat. This alters the actual shade of colour basecoat. If you then imagine a guy in a bodyshop spraying his own primer (different shade ?) by hand followed by light metallic colour coat and lacquer. He is probably spraying all layers several microns thicker and possibly not as evenly as the factory. No wonder it's hard to get a match ! :(
Your average man in the street would probably never notice it but it would annoy the hell out of me, as it obviously is you too ! :x
yeah, he's said he'll re-do it by blending the wings ( he works for a bmw dealer near me, who'll remain nameless but im sure you know who) so should know what he's doing but im thinking it'll do more harm than good.

That first pic is the worst angle and shade i could get it in, in 80 percent of conditions you really have to be looking for it.
18 Z4s owned to date.

maxman

am i being too picky?

Post by maxman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:43 pm

I would give the guy a chance to blend the colour in,thats what most body shops do to get panels matching.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

am i being too picky?

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:57 pm

maxman wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:43 pm I would give the guy a chance to blend the colour in,thats what most body shops do to get panels matching.
if he ends up making the rear quarter the same as the rear bumper then it wont match the door and so on, i think im just going to leave it

thanks for all advise/opinions so far.
18 Z4s owned to date.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

am i being too picky?

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:41 pm

Lots of good points made here and I think you do right leaving it..in a few weeks you will stop noticing it besides the odd cursory glance once in a while and mutter of "meh" :D :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

kis
Lifer
Lifer

am i being too picky?

Post by kis » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:45 pm

For what it's worth you can't tell in the pictures. IMO anyway.

Also the car is quite old, I recently took the Z4 boot badge off my boot, and you could see the colour difference because I assume the rest of the car got bleeched slightly. I think I remember Ranski? had a few panels done on his car because it was always in direct sunlight due to where it was parked up. So his passenger side and driver side were slightly different shades.

Then factor in what patriot66 has said. Lots of things influence the end result!

You compare our Zed's (I'm titan) and I'm sure one will look slightly darker, and one lighter.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

am i being too picky?

Post by TitanTim » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:12 pm

No amount if polishing will change the colour as all your doing us polishing the clear coat.

Tim.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

am i being too picky?

Post by jamie_z4 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:03 pm

This is it under normal every day conditions...
20180718_180236.jpg
20180718_180236.jpg (214.64 KiB) Viewed 590 times
18 Z4s owned to date.

woozzle

am i being too picky?

Post by woozzle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:25 pm

that's the photo you should have put up originally....looks fantastic and can't notice any difference :thumbsup: