Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

When did you start to feel old?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
greg81

Post by greg81 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:12 am

I'm what some may consider a "young'un" at 36, but this is the first year where I've started to feel like I'm getting old.

I have a weak knee, I can't walk barefoot in my house as my feet hurt too much and I've had to trim my ear hair weekly for the past few months.

So tell me, when did you start to feel like you were getting old?

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:16 am

I'm 48, but still feel/act like a teenager (to which anyone who's been to a meet with me will attest), and only feel 'old' when I wake up with a hangover and it takes all day to disappear instead of an hour!

Can still do my cartwheels and judo rolls - just hurts a bit more.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 am

I'm about the same age as you Gregg and I've never had to trim any ear hair and still fly down mountains on my bike regularly...in fact I'm only just starting to get a couple of grey hairs!

That said, I work in a company that like to employ young (and therefore cheap) staff and every Friday they're all like 'lets go to the pub and get smashed' and all I want to do is go home, put my feet up with a glass of red wine and watch some s**t TV...when I think that, it reminds me, yes, you're getting old! :thumbsdown:

BRC

Post by BRC » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:30 am

Old at 36, nah just a boy! Try reversing the numbers that's my age and frankly I feel well up for most things albeit I will entirely agree with mmm-five's observation.

Sold a pair of soft top side covers and now retired.

ErrErrminator

Post by ErrErrminator » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:49 am

Since entering my ‘forties’ (a few years ago) I have noticed a few minor things starting to go wrong. Achy joints, developing beer belly, grey hairs outnumbering the dark ones, thinning on top, etc. All of which has made me aware of my advancing years. Having my first kid at 39, second at 43 has also made me feel a bit old too. Just trying to keep up with them is a bit of a challenge. Then I see mates kids, who I used to babysit for occasionally, have now got their own kids. That really does it!

DibbleCorse

Post by DibbleCorse » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:56 am

I'm 47, I just ignore all the signs and carry on as usual, took up boxing at 43, still doing trackdays on the bike, riding mountain bikes round Swinley and playing with cars .... its all in the head ..... or not as the case may be .... as I'm sat at work in a pair of Superstars and a retro Fila t shirt .... surrounded by adults in chinos and polos .....
Cars: E89 Z4 3.0i M Sport, VW Scirocco 2.0 GT TFSI
Bikes: Ducati 996, Ducati 999R Fila, Ducati Multistrada, Ducati Panigale 1199S
Pets: Charlie and Luigi the cats.
Wife: Just the one.
Instagram: Dibblecorse

Post by sticky » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:28 pm

As Leonard Cohen sang... " I ache in the places where I used to play " I'm 65 and still busy in many ways

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Once the decade you grew up in is over a decade ago.

Also, when stuff you'd get beaten to death for at school is now 'cool'. For example, bowl shaped haircuts that leave you looking like you're wearing a toupe, trousers that are too short and/or too tight...
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:59 pm

feeling old in a good way - when you shop for curtains for the first time, when you realise that you like all the food you eat because you only buy the things you like... when you have the money to book weekends away on a whim.

feeling old in a bad way - when you ache after exercise, and stop doing strenuous/risky things for fear of hurting yourself, when you have to arrange a funeral for your mum (I'm 31...)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:18 pm

A little mixed for me, I used to get bad backs in my 30s and early 40s where I would be walking for days like an 80 year old, however since taking 1500mg of glycosimine and fish oil daily I've not had a bad back or aches for years and I'm 53 now and feel better now than back then. However my mum passed away nearly 4 years ago now and that really hit me in terms of life and mortality and has made me feel older. Granted my mum was 84 but it's made me much more aware of how short life is and how quickly it can end. Certainly an eye opener for me.

Tim.

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:22 pm

It’s all in the mind. I’m 73 and have just bought a 3.5is. Mind you that could be because I’m well into second childhood. I know folk who were old at 21!

Marekdawg

Post by Marekdawg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:37 pm

At 23 I feel I'm not ready for this conversation yet :lol: however my grandfather is 78 odd and still running around like hes barely out of his 20's. Sailing most everyday, competing in regattas across the world, drinks G&Ts like they are water and thoroughly enjoys his sports cars. As others have said, I believe most of it to be in the mind - f*** growing old gracefully! :lol: :driving:
Silver E89 Sdrive30I Msport. Black roof and other bits. :D :driving:

greg81

Post by greg81 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:03 pm

To be fair I've had bad genes (cancer twice, heart surgery, colitis) so I blame that for making me feel older than I actually am.

Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoy a good Jaeger-bomb like everyone else, but there's definitely cracks appearing in my foundations. More-so this year than ever before!

greg81

Post by greg81 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Plus I have a 4-year-old and 1-year-old to keep me young in mind. Never made more fart noises with my armpits than I've done at 36!

jock156

Post by jock156 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:32 pm

You are as old as the bird you feel!