Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car Hire Recomendations For Cairns (Queensland)

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
MerBrook

Post by MerBrook » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi all, Just thought I'd try this as a bit of a long shot, but as you are a well travelled lot somebody might be able to help.
As the title suggests I am looking for recomendations for a good, reliable and hopefully inexpensive car hire company in Cairns for our upcoming holiday there in October.
I have already booked a car through Sixt, but have found out that they have joined a local company who do not have a good reputation based on the internet reviews that I have seen, so if someone has a better sugestion then I am willing to cancel that booking.

Also just as an after thought if any of you have any recomendations for restraunts there as well etc, then they will also be gratefully received.

All the best. :D
Alpina Roadster S Lux No.169, E86 Coupe Si Sport, Gone E86 Coupe Si SE

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:13 pm

I was in Cairns in March and although I can't recommend acar hire place, I can advise one to steer clear of, East Coast, a bit of a shambles set up and a shite car.

On the same trip I used Europecar in both NZ and Brisbane, excellent service and perfectly presented almost new cars.

In Cairns, the Waffle House is worth a visit, for both savoury and sweet treats, really good! I had breakfast waffles one morning and dessert waffles one evening, both :thumbsup:

There are loads of food places to choose from, one night I had Indian, not good at all! Can't remember where I ate the other night, I'll have a think.

MerBrook

Post by MerBrook » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Cheers for the reply Lance, I think that you have just confirmed my suspicions. The company that Sixt have apparently joined forces with in Cairns is East Coast cars and some of the reviews I have seen have been pretty bad.
Thanks for the Waffle House recommendation, we’ll have to look out for it.

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 pm

We were there March last year. Villa romana is good. Had a pizza to takeaway and ate in there. The courtyard was really good too for good beer, friendly and decent bar food both are on the front (like everything).

We had either enterprise or euro car, can't remember which but was a really good service. It was a hyundai sonata we had which was alright.

Depending how long you are there, Port Douglas is a must, great trips to the outer reef from there for diving. Hartleys crocodile farm was brilliant, much better than either of us thought and a beautiful coast road up there. We did daintree for a couple of nights to finish off and that really was brilliant, cassowary birds with chics right outside the window. It was daintree wilderness Lodge if you're interested. Crystal cascades was beautiful and you can swim there. Quieter than Barren falls but they are a must as well. The skyrail was good, some great spiders there!

As you can tell, we had a great time and would definatly go back. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did :thumbsup:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 am

Skyrail :thumbsup: , bird world at the top, Karunda IIRC also worth a look. Port Douglas, yep second Vonlipvig.

Spiders are horrendous!

And then there's the bats, hundreds and hundreds, big uns too!

Like Von, I also found Australia to be an incredible place, so much to see and do, everyday being wide eyed at something new. I was there for 4 weeks, Port Douglas right down to Byron Bay. I'd do it all again tomorrow if I could.

https://flic.kr/p/23V1ek4

https://flic.kr/p/23JpJZp

MerBrook

Post by MerBrook » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:25 am

Thanks for the recommendations Lance & Vonlipvig.
Shame you had to mention the spiders though, the only bit I’m a little wary of, well that and the snakes and all the other wildlife that can sting or bite if I’m honest. Oh well your only here once so will just ignore all that, :( .
Thanks for sharing the photos as well. :thumbsup:

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:07 am

You learn to love the spiders! Or at least you will not be bothered by the ones here when you get back :rofl:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:09 am

We used autoeurope for car hire in America and had no issues on both visits. They also cover Australia
https://www.autoeurope.co.uk/?Aff=Googl ... gK4B_D_BwE
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

freemadw

Post by freemadw » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Can't comment on car hire companies but Cairns is great. Port Douglas, Barrier Reef, Kurunda, all fantastic.
Don't worry about the crocodiles, the sharks ate them all... :D :D :D
Have a great time.
Cheers, Dave
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining...

djstan

Post by djstan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:51 am

Whenever I go overseas, I use Skyscanner.net to look for hire cars (there's a tab at the top of the screen) - the results show customer ratings of the hire car company so you get a good feel of how it's going to be :thumbsup:
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey