Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wasps nest

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Wasps nest

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:48 pm

Just been to get the M140 out of the garage, used it last time in May and whilst disconnecting the battery, heard this odd noise behind me. Looked up and have a scary wasps nest about 9inches in diameter hanging down from the roof, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I understand the Nest can contain anything between 5 and 10 thousand wasps by the Autumn so need to get it removed. Anyone done this themselves? I thought of spraying it but the thought of thousands of wasps getting agitated in the garage gives me the shivers. Managed the get the Hyundai in the garage and have locked the garage door for the moment. There was only 2 or 3 wasps buzzing at me but all the rest seem to be inside waiting.

I guess booking a pest controller would be the best option.

I did think of hairspray and fire. :?

Tim.

IRD

Wasps nest

Post by IRD » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:52 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:48 pm Just been to get the M140 out of the garage, used it last time in May and whilst disconnecting the battery, heard this odd noise behind me. Looked up and have a scary wasps nest about 9inches in diameter hanging down from the roof, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I understand the Nest can contain anything between 5 and 10 thousand wasps by the Autumn so need to get it removed. Anyone done this themselves? I thought of spraying it but the thought of thousands of wasps getting agitated in the garage gives me the shivers. Managed the get the Hyundai in the garage and have locked the garage door for the moment. There was only 2 or 3 wasps buzzing at me but all the rest seem to be inside waiting.

I guess booking a pest controller would be the best option.

I did think of hairspray and fire. :?

Tim.f
But you don’t really want to burn the garage down! I ‘d play safe and get the pest control guys out.

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Wasps nest

Post by RustyZ4 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:09 pm

No need for pest control, Homebase etc sell a wasp nest killer spray, works a treat, just spray from 5’ away
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Zoomer

Wasps nest

Post by Zoomer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:41 pm

It's a foam spray that you cost the outside of th nest with. It can be fired about 5-6 feet away, so you can run off if the little nasties com out.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Wasps nest

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:45 pm

I've looked at the foam sprays but says shouldn't be used indoors. The Nest is at the back of the garage.

Tim.

Wondermike

Wasps nest

Post by Wondermike » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:57 pm

I believe that wasps don’t return to the same nest the following year, so you could wait until they die off in winter and then remove it yourself. If you want to do it now, I would definitely get a professional in.

Silverzedtom

Wasps nest

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:09 pm

We had one in the shed about the size of a tennis ball. We sprayed it with foam and the guys inside weren’t able to fly afterwards. They were trying to get out, got covered and then fell to the ground.

Personally I’d find it hard paying someone top dollar to come and do something that I could easily sort myself... saying that I know a lot of people really don’t like them.

Have you been able to find where they’re entering? Once the nests sorted obviously you’ll want to seal up any gaps.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Wasps nest

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Wondermike wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:57 pm I believe that wasps don’t return to the same nest the following year, so you could wait until they die off in winter and then remove it yourself. If you want to do it now, I would definitely get a professional in.
Thanks Mike, been reading up on wasps as you do :)

You can leave the Nest alone but it could grow larger and once the new Queens hatch they then hibernate most likely in the garage again until next spring when the process starts again, so best to treat the Nest now. As I'm in and out of the garage swapping cars etc I don't want to risk it and it's making me feel uncomfortable knowing they're sitting in there. Looks like quotes range from 40 to 60 quid to treat the Nest so going to bite the bullet and call someone tomorrow. Glad it's not in the house.

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Wasps nest

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Silverzedtom wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:09 pm We had one in the shed about the size of a tennis ball. We sprayed it with foam and the guys inside weren’t able to fly afterwards. They were trying to get out, got covered and then fell to the ground.

Personally I’d find it hard paying someone top dollar to come and do something that I could easily sort myself... saying that I know a lot of people really don’t like them.

Have you been able to find where they’re entering? Once the nests sorted obviously you’ll want to seal up any gaps.
Thanks Tom, I had a very small one in the shed last year but was empty. Unfortunately this one I have now must be 9inches in diameter and just don't feel comfortable trying to spray it at the back of the garage if it goes wrong and they all fly out. The back of the garage has a window and a lean too which is sealed, but they can easily enter around the garage door. You can get fake nests to hang up so they don't like building near to existing nests so that might be an idea.

Imageupload gambar

Tim.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Wasps nest

Post by Ewazix » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:00 pm

I did a small one (5" dia) in the garage with tin of fly spray.... and big steps :)

Worked fine.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Wasps nest

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Ewazix wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:00 pm I did a small one (5" dia) in the garage with tin of fly spray.... and big steps :)

Worked fine.
Ewazix wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:00 pm I did a small one (5" dia) in the garage with tin of fly spray.... and big steps :)

Worked fine.
Didn't they start swarming? thats what worries me. We had a nest years ago in the meter cupboard next to the front door, first we knew about was the postman getting stung 3 times and then refused to deliver to the house, the wasps were really nasty, anywhere near the door and they went for you. The local council came and sorted that one out. The nest in the garage theres only a few flying around at the moment but you can hear them all inside the nest, gave me the willy's a bit, still managed to hook the battery charger up to the car though :)

Tim.

Sae

Wasps nest

Post by Sae » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:43 pm

For the sake of £40-50 quid, get the exterminators in, unless you know for sure theres not many beasties in there and wont attack, or borrow a beekeepers outfit from someone and do them yourself, hate the feckin things :(
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

w1ndsurfnut

Wasps nest

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Buy a big can of wasp killer or fly spray, Blue Raid is the best. Make sure there is no route in to the house, dump the can as close as you dare to the nest and then leggit, closing doors behind you. Works a treat. :lol:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Wasps nest

Post by Ewazix » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:50 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Worked fine.

Worked fine.
Didn't they start swarming? thats what worries me. We had a nest years ago in the meter cupboard next to the front door, first we knew about was the postman getting stung 3 times and then refused to deliver to the house, the wasps were really nasty, anywhere near the door and they went for you. The local council came and sorted that one out. The nest in the garage theres only a few flying around at the moment but you can hear them all inside the nest, gave me the willy's a bit, still managed to hook the battery charger up to the car though :)

Tim.
I understand the concern but they were being downed almost instantly TBH, I unloaded and bugged-out at the double, when I went back it was all over. I don't think I would try it with a big nest though.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Wasps nest

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Sorry I'm scared :lol:

Seriously as suggested I'll get someone in, a mate has recommend a local pest controller for 45 quid so will do that. I would have no issue if it was outside but in a confined space gives me the heebies :cry:

Tim.