Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Should I buy Warranty?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by ronk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:44 pm

The 335 is three this year and my 35is will be three next September - BMW insured warranty is about £600 a year per car.
My plan is to buy breakdown cover from Britannia rescue or Green flag and put the £1200 into an isa
There is enough in my piggy bank if something goes wrong in the first couple of yesrs.

Any opinions either way!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

djstan

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by djstan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Purely my own opinion, but I would say definitely buy a warranty for the Z. I've had the roof fail and BMW want £1400-1600 to replace the hydraulics in the roof to fix. I have struggled over the last few months to book it in - not because of the cost (because, like you, I have enough in the piggy bank to cover), but because of the principle of paying that much money to fix a pipe.

If I had the warranty, it would have cost me the excess and nothing more - much more palatable.

The car is booked in for the roof to be fixed, and I'm in the process of taking out a BMW warranty for future issues..
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

IRD

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by IRD » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:52 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:44 pm The 335 is three this year and my 35is will be three next September - BMW insured warranty is about £600 a year per car.
My plan is to buy breakdown cover from Britannia rescue or Green flag and put the £1200 into an isa
There is enough in my piggy bank if something goes wrong in the first couple of yesrs.

Any opinions either way!
There is a lot to consider but generally anything connected with repairing a BMW is expensive. However you need to look very carefully what any warranty includes and excludes. Like all insurances they will wriggle out of paying if they can. My new car has the BMW extended warranty purchased by the previous owner but I haven’t looked at the small print yet. If it covers the DCT for instance then I would, say it is a good buy. I would be interested in hearing what you finally decide.

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Is there an excess on the warranty?
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

djstan

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by djstan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:19 pm

You can choose your level of excess, IIRC
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by TitanTim » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:32 pm

I've been thinking of this once the 140i is 3 years old and will probably get an extended warrantyof some sort. Might be worth looking at others as well as BMWs to compare what is actually covered in the small print. I've always thought put the premium in the bank instead but you just know that it will something that will cost more than the premium. I think a new engine replacement on mine is 13k and one of the reasons why I went for a manual box as the Auto would be scary prices to strip down etc. Its just peace of mind end of the day.

Tim.
Last edited by TitanTim on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:50 pm

TitanTim wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:32 pm I've been thinking if this once the 140i is 3 years old and will probably get an extended warrantyof some sort. Might be worth looking at others as well as BMWs to compare what is actually covered in the small print. I've always thought put the premium in the bank instead but you just know that it will something that will cost more than the premium. I think a new engine replacement on mine is 13k and one of the reasons why I went for a manual box as the Auto would be scary prices to strip down etc. Its just peace of mind end of the day.

Tim.
Hi, unless there’s history of 140i cars needing replacement engines I’d class it as such a small risk as to not worry to much about it.
You can probably insure yourself against being victim to alien abduction but it’s the same thing really, I’d take my chances :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

maxman

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by maxman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:37 pm

I've always thought that when people feel the need to buy an expensive warranty on a 3 year old car ,it's a reflection or perception of the poor build quality of the brand.Japanese or Korean manufactures and customers
have a lot more faith in their products.

Yorkie Z

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by Yorkie Z » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:41 pm

I wouldn't bother. If the car goes wrong take it to an expert instead of the dribbling part swappers at BMW.
A Dirty M///

obewan

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by obewan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Personally I wouldn't bother - you can insure most products against virtually anything (and even then find in the small print it's not covered) - in the end it's your perception to risk v cost
E.g. I've never taken out any form of breakdown cover in over 40 years of driving.

Maybe I've been lucky but the only issue I've had was a split water hose on my wife's car. I managed a temporary fix (chewing gum 8)) to get us home
My attitude is if I ever need the service and have to pay, I'm still quids in :)

Same with white goods. save my money, if it fails, repair (if cost effective) or buy new
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by ronk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:22 pm

It’s all about the gamble I suppose - insurers are gambling that they take £600 a year/ car and payout less over the ten year insurance period.
They know the odds that they set or they would be out of business !

My dilemma is as of sept 19 I would be paying £1200 a year warranty on two complicated cars but two allegedly well screwed together cars.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by buzyg » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 pm

If you can afford to underwrite any major hits your self then it's a no brainer IMHO. If not then pay your hard earned into an warranty. I had the engine go on my Mondeo 24v SI years ago. Cost me 4k for a new engine. But other wise that car was like a Swiss watch to run. Touch wood nothing expensive has failed on the ///M, After 7 years of owner ship. So I'm very happy that I don't take out warranties. :D

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:07 pm

buzyg wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 pm If you can afford to underwrite any major hits your self then it's a no brainer IMHO. If not then pay your hard earned into an warranty. I had the engine go on my Mondeo 24v SI years ago. Cost me 4k for a new engine. But other wise that car was like a Swiss watch to run. Touch wood nothing expensive has failed on the ///M, After 7 years of owner ship. So I'm very happy that I don't take out warranties. :D
I’m of the same mind, I paid for a warranty on the 3.0sdrive e89 I had but when the gearbox went bang they wouldn’t cover the repair costs and wanted paying for diagnostic checks etc.
I’m not wasting my money on one again :thumbsdown:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by ronk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:44 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:07 pm
I’m of the same mind, I paid for a warranty on the 3.0sdrive e89 I had but when the gearbox went bang they wouldn’t cover the repair costs and wanted paying for diagnostic checks etc.
Rob
Was that the Bmw / Allianz warranty ?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:06 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:44 pm
Smartbear wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:07 pm
Rob
Was that the Bmw / Allianz warranty ?
The dealer was offering RAC warranty telling me how good they were & I believed them :oops:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold