Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Should I buy Warranty?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by mmm-five » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:35 pm

If you're going to get a warranty, then the BMW one is the one to go for.

However, you won't know whether the warranty is worth it until you've claimed or not.

In my case it was well worth it, as I've had about £15k of repairs in the 90,000 miles (over4 years) that I had the monthly, comprehensive, insured warranty.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:40 pm

My view has always been that any business offering warranty cover is a business, so they price it to make a profit.

So I don't pay for it on the basis that if I have average luck I'll come out ahead, and if I am lucky I'll do better still! (But I always have a bork fund just in case). :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by TitanTim » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:44 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:50 pm
TitanTim wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:32 pm I've been thinking if this once the 140i is 3 years old and will probably get an extended warrantyof some sort. Might be worth looking at others as well as BMWs to compare what is actually covered in the small print. I've always thought put the premium in the bank instead but you just know that it will something that will cost more than the premium. I think a new engine replacement on mine is 13k and one of the reasons why I went for a manual box as the Auto would be scary prices to strip down etc. Its just peace of mind end of the day.

Tim.
Hi, unless there’s history of 140i cars needing replacement engines I’d class it as such a small risk as to not worry to much about it.
You can probably insure yourself against being victim to alien abduction but it’s the same thing really, I’d take my chances :P
Rob
Most probably right Rob, chances of anything major going wrong is slim and you would hope if it did it would be within the 3 years from new. I never bothered with the Z3 and only had to replace the boot wiring loom apart from that nothing else on a 16 year old car, so not bad going. Not heard of any horror stories with the M140i although the auto boxes appear to be giving trouble at times so glad I went for the manual.

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by ronk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:57 pm

I’m sure the odds are in their favour!

I had an insured warranty on a Disco 3. It had the addition of an MOT failure section. A front Calliper seized thus mot fail- Not Covered, Brake pipes failure another year, - Not covered!

I’m talking myself out of buying :rofl:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:59 pm

TitanTim wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:44 pm
Smartbear wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:50 pm
TitanTim wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:32 pm I've been thinking if this once the 140i is 3 years old and will probably get an extended warrantyof some sort. Might be worth looking at others as well as BMWs to compare what is actually covered in the small print. I've always thought put the premium in the bank instead but you just know that it will something that will cost more than the premium. I think a new engine replacement on mine is 13k and one of the reasons why I went for a manual box as the Auto would be scary prices to strip down etc. Its just peace of mind end of the day.

Tim.
Hi, unless there’s history of 140i cars needing replacement engines I’d class it as such a small risk as to not worry to much about it.
You can probably insure yourself against being victim to alien abduction but it’s the same thing really, I’d take my chances :P
Rob
Most probably right Rob, chances of anything major going wrong is slim and you would hope if it did it would be within the 3 years from new. I never bothered with the Z3 and only had to replace the boot wiring loom apart from that nothing else on a 16 year old car, so not bad going. Not heard of any horror stories with the M140i although the auto boxes appear to be giving trouble at times so glad I went for the manual.

Tim.
I forgot to add the proviso that if your car spontaneously combusts it’s not my fault! :wink:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

srhutch

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by srhutch » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:00 pm

£1,200 in the bank/isa or what ever and find a good Indy.

If you are handy with spanner’s, even better.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by ronk » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:34 am

srhutch wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:00 pm £1,200 in the bank/isa or what ever and find a good Indy.

If you are handy with spanner’s, even better.
I used to be very handy, my cars never saw the inside of a garage but my wobbly legs means checking tyre pressures is an effort these days!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:48 am

Never taken an extended warranty in my life
As posted by others the profit margin of insurers, get out clauses and chances of the massive failure are limited.
I maintain my cars am sympathetic to new noises or feelings and do as you propose and keep enough to cover any repair.
Many 000’s better off for it..
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by TitanTim » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:59 pm
TitanTim wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:44 pm
Smartbear wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:50 pm Hi, unless there’s history of 140i cars needing replacement engines I’d class it as such a small risk as to not worry to much about it.
Rob

Tim.
I forgot to add the proviso that if your car spontaneously combusts it’s not my fault! :wink:
Rob
No chance, BMWs never catch fire :?

Imagescreen capture freeware

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:58 pm

TitanTim wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:23 pm No chance, BMWs never catch fire
Oh well, it is a White, de-badged (so probably poverty spec) 1 Series with French plates so not a disaster! :)

Anyway Insurance is probably more useful than a warranty if that happens. :rofl:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:19 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:58 pm
TitanTim wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:23 pm No chance, BMWs never catch fire
Oh well, it is a White, de-badged (so probably poverty spec) 1 Series with French plates so not a disaster! :)

Anyway Insurance is probably more useful than a warranty if that happens. :rofl:
Oi, my zed is white & debadged! :poke:
656E1E73-3267-429A-9637-2DDF87A1298F.jpeg
656E1E73-3267-429A-9637-2DDF87A1298F.jpeg (564.37 KiB) Viewed 939 times
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by ronk » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:35 pm

It’s looking more like an isa to satisfy my toffee tin hoarding mentality!
I think the 335 was £600 a year and suspect the 35is will be about the same next year.
The only thing I would need to consider is breakdown cover for Uk and Europe for the two cars and the two drivers - I’ll probably go back to csma/Britannia rescue for that cover. The Bmw cover is only Uk unfortunately.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by ronk » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:50 pm

I’ve just had them on the phone wanting my business and this is what they’ve quoted - I does include emergency cover

This quote is for the 335xd with only 15k on the clock

Excess. Premium
£0 £707
£100 £522
£250 £422

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Sounds a lot to me for a low mileage nearly new car, but if you sleep better then it’s a good idea.

I’d want to see the policy terms in detail and the exclusions as they generally cover everything that will wear out or fail.. also check who backs it as it will be an insurer, not BMW
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy Warranty?

Post by ronk » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:11 pm

At £700 a year (£420 with £250 excess) it’s looking more and more like an isa
The 35is is due next September so no doubt they’ll want the same sort of cash for that car !

I will factor in some breakdown assist cover for UK and Europe Britannia / Green Flag or I might see what add ons the car insurance have to offer!

Yes it is insurance backed:-
BMW Insured Warranty is underwritten by AWP P&C SA and is administered in the UK by AWP Assistance UK Ltd (trading as BMW Insured Warranty Services), Registered in England number 1710361. Registered Office: PO Box 74005, 60 Gracechurch Street, London,