Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Business idea... What think... seriously.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:48 pm

So I hate working for someone. I want to be rich and be my own boss.

So I've found a venture firm that will spot me up to 2M. I've found a cruise ship that can take 370 passengers.. recently all fitted and kitted out for 1.2M pretty big tbh.

I have a rough business plan to operate cruises in the summer and dock it in London by the Belfast in winter and run part of it on airb&b and part long term rent (council tax and service charge free for cheapskate professionals)

So all of that aside... and the fact I need a crew for it and someone who knows how to drive one.

Anyone have any experience or insight they can offer to get a bank to hand this kind of cheese over? Needs to be around 1.5M to get it operational and fully stocked and staffed. Expected turnover circa 400k a week in the summer (200k winter)

Thanks.

Matt
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:09 pm

I'd take a good hard look at your costs as 370 people will take a lot of looking after. Turnover = vanity, profit = sanity. Sounds like a huge risk to me if you have no experience in it.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:20 pm

ph001 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:09 pm I'd take a good hard look at your costs as 370 people will take a lot of looking after. Turnover = vanity, profit = sanity. Sounds like a huge risk to me if you have no experience in it.
I know all about running hotels. Used to do in the alps and Greece for about 9 years. Most of this is just a floating hotel that moves.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Monkeydonkeyratmagic wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:20 pm I know all about running hotels. Used to do in the alps and Greece for about 9 years
Ah, well that makes all the difference. I think as long as you have got a spreadsheet together with best case, and worst case costs then you can make a good decision. That's a ton of money to borrow though! Any way you can start off with lower overheads and work your way up?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:56 pm

To get any bank or investor to hand over 1.5m or various parts thereof, you will need more than a rough business plan, with exact costings, down time strategies, daily running costs, insurances, I could go on,, I have run a business for 30 years and more and more I seem to be spending my time meeting new government employment or HSE rules, employing the right people is a battle at the best of times,

But if you are prepared to work hard, ride your luck sometimes, and don't think you will be a millionaire in a year, you have to give it a go, but any investor is going to look at what you stand to lose compared to them, cos the basics are the more you have to lose, the more likely it will succeeed
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:24 pm

Are you putting up any of your own money? I have never borrowed more than 2\3 what I can put in myself on a business loan. The banks will look at what you have to loose along with what they have to loose. The more they have to put in the higher their risk, the higher the rate will be? A sound business plan well documented is always a good place to start. You need to demonstrate that you know what you are talking about. If you can do that then 1.5 m is not a huge amount these days. Good luck..

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:43 am

Business plan is completed. Been at it all weekend.
Gross revenue is at best is circa £8.9M. Total costs are coming in at roughly 2M PA. This is excluded port fees which are around 1-3K per day.

The ship technically is an expedition ship / Ice class 1A. The routes I've planned out are Docking in London - Edinburgh - Svalbard - North pole waters (Most expensive sailing, midnight party at Solstice) and round the north west passage east to west, down the coast of Alaska, and then on down to Cape Horn, Antarctic peninsula. Multiple itineraries.

These cruises are currently insane money, and I firmly believe they should be. My workings are currently 67% of the going average rate inc full catering.
Found how to source staff, crew and even a captain (former Navy) insurance is planned to include business interruption to cover refunds and loss of revenue in case of mechanical failure and full hull and sinkage loss (I work for a very large insurance broker who covers Marine and Aviation so had a good chat with an expert on this)

Submitting the proposal today... Will see what happens I guess. The loan itself would be secured on the ship. So my guess is after a years payments the ship covers more than the balance of the loan. Seeking a 4 year term.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2