Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cyclists on the road

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Kierandc5

Cyclists on the road

Post by Kierandc5 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 am

I'm so glad I have always followed the 1.5mm rule with cyclist they always wave too show there appreciation

philbo909

Cyclists on the road

Post by philbo909 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:02 am

:rofl:
Hate cars when you're on your bike
Hate bikes when you're in the car
I binned the road bike, bought a mountain bike and started using our byways/bridleways, it's scary at times for the right reasons!
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

djstan

Cyclists on the road

Post by djstan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Is it me or does it seem like there has been a massive increase in the number of 'serious' cyclists on the roads over the last few years? It feels like cycling has become fashionable again. I'm all for that - I think it's good to get out and do something like that, but not at the expense of other road users. I suspect, like always, the law is playing catch-up and eventually there will be new rules over 'practices'.
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Cyclists on the road

Post by Nictrix » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:51 pm

djstan wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:45 pm Is it me or does it seem like there has been a massive increase in the number of 'serious' cyclists on the roads over the last few years? It feels like cycling has become fashionable again. I'm all for that - I think it's good to get out and do something like that, but not at the expense of other road users. I suspect, like always, the law is playing catch-up and eventually there will be new rules over 'practices'.
This is probably it.
These things have been going on for years but more and more people are doing it now and its becoming very noticeable.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

philbo909

Cyclists on the road

Post by philbo909 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:16 pm

djstan wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:45 pm Is it me or does it seem like there has been a massive increase in the number of 'serious' cyclists on the roads over the last few years? It feels like cycling has become fashionable again. I'm all for that - I think it's good to get out and do something like that, but not at the expense of other road users. I suspect, like always, the law is playing catch-up and eventually there will be new rules over 'practices'.
Coincided with team sky starting/winning imo
Now wherever you go on a nice b road it's middle aged men in lycra :!:
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

weegeoff

Cyclists on the road

Post by weegeoff » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:12 pm

I live on a single track road and the cyclists are a bloody nuisance. We have passing places for passing and overtaking which they totally ignore. I guess their thinking is they have the right of way. :headbang: If they paid road tax there might not be so many of the sods. :thumbsdown:

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Cyclists on the road

Post by firebobby » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:06 pm

What bugs me is when you follow bikes for an age, then get a chance to overtake. Only for the idiots to pull past you at T lights or junctions, so you have to do it all again :headbang:
When I use my bike on the road (not often) and I have vehicles behind me on a blind bend, I will always beckon them on to overtake when safe. I have always done this and most toot their appreciation as they pass :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

djstan

Cyclists on the road

Post by djstan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:17 pm

firebobby wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:06 pmmost toot their appreciation as they pass
Are you sure it's appreciation that they're tooting about? :rofl:
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

Tom Dick

Cyclists on the road

Post by Tom Dick » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm a semi keen cyclist, well more fair weather :D Surely anybody's main priority on the road on what ever mode of transport is self preservation? I do not know for the life of me why cycling groups never appear to take this approach. On a bike you will loose against a car. I was out in my 5 Touring at the weekend, through a narrow village with tight bends, on my side of the road only to have fists shaken & shouting from on on coming cycling group. But FFS I was on my side of the road :headbang: It really doesn't make any sense

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Cyclists on the road

Post by jabber » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:22 pm

The thing that bugs me is when driving along a road and a cyclist comes out from a side road right in front of you as if they think they dont have to adhere to the rules
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

PDJ

Cyclists on the road

Post by PDJ » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:59 pm

weegeoff wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:12 pm If they paid road tax there might not be so many of the sods.
No longer paid my me you or any other road user 1000 ton mobile cranes are classed as plant so pay £165.00, cheaper than my Z4

Most cyclists have a car or two as well so pay into the road system costs.

While the cyclists are cycling they are not clogging the road up in their cars.

With the sound of the wind and other background noise car are hard to hear when they are behind a cyclist (does not help with a bit of industrial deafness thrown in)

So just consider this......

Modern car has to protect its driver and passenger
Safety cell (part way to a roll cage)
side impact bars
crumple zone
seat belts
air bags
ABS
traction control
lights that turn to help us see into corners

The new Audi and others have a load of other things to help protect the people inside a car and outside it.

Cyclist has a thin layer of lycra and a polystyrene hat. coupled to their judgment of the situation they find them selves in and hopefully the good will and good judgment of other road users.

You could always try and cycle a mile or two in their shoes as the saying goes.

Motorist, cyclist (mainly velodromes) dad, husband, son, brother and a friend/stranger on the internet etc.

PDJ

Cyclists on the road

Post by PDJ » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:10 pm

If the link works a few uncomfortable moment from a few years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7OMFnq7DJI

2dogs
Lifer
Lifer

Cyclists on the road

Post by 2dogs » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:22 pm

PDJ wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:59 pm While the cyclists are cycling they are not clogging the road up in their cars
No! They are clogging up the roads with their bikes :poke:
Blue Z4MC - now gone