Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iPhone - Dark Screen

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone - Dark Screen

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:59 am

dr_john wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:37 am My wife’s 6 month old iPhone recently started ringing at spurious times, day and night, with no one on the line. Despite having got it from Carphone warehouse she took it to the Apple store yesterday.

Luckily the fault occurred while she was talking to the Apple genius guy who replaced the phone for a brand new one without a quibble.
If that happened in my house I’d be changing the wife as well! :rofl:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Phoenixboy

iPhone - Dark Screen

Post by Phoenixboy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:05 am

I spent an hour on the phone to apple last night regarding an issue with the phone only intermittently charging.
having been to the apple store I didn't hold much hope, but in the end they agreed to repair/replace it foc despite it being about 18months old.
its an iPhone 7 and I gather its not an uncommon issue, but was becoming a pain when you put it on charge at night, to find in the morning it had not charged.
if you wiggle the lead about it would start to charge, but often stops charging to leave you with a flat battery.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Bottom

iPhone - Dark Screen

Post by Bottom » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:30 am

mmm-five wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:07 pm No problem...it’s the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

In fact Apple also handily have the details on their WARRANTY page (although that’s because they were forced to put them there by the EU/UK).
Sorry, that just isn't quite correct. Apple's page is also a bit unclear.

To quote from the Which? article which you referenced:

If a fault develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time you took ownership of it.

In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems across the product range.

You have six years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five years in Scotland.

This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product.

The onus is on you the consumer to prove that the goods are of "unsatisfactory quality" which since this will be a civil claim would be balance of probability, taking into account the type of item, the price etc.

I can see where the 6 years misunderstanding has come from, but it's not what the law actually says and I wouldn't want to depend on it...

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

iPhone - Dark Screen

Post by mmm-five » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Of course it’s not clear or straightforward...it’s a law :rofl:

You can’t/shouldn’t go in demanding your consumer rights (or claiming some freeman-of-the-land crap), bu knowing you’ve got some backup of the law if you need it is helpful, and means you shouldn’t dismiss asking about the possibility of a repair after the standard 1-2 year warranty has expired.

Even within the 12-24 month shop/manufacture warranty period, you’d still have to prove you’d not damaged it...but the earlier the better as the law provides less weight to your rights as time goes on - and of course there’s the expected life of a product to consider too...as you’d not expect a packet of biscuits to be perfect after 4 years, but you’d expect your car to not suddenly lunch it’s engine after the same period.

Theres no harm asking Apple to fix it, and even if they refuse you’ll only be in the same situation as you were before.

Personally never had a problem at 3 or 4 years old with Apple - assuming I’d not done something stupid like taking the screen off an iMac to put an SSD in and leaving a tiny internal sensor damaged :oops:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options