Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake Discs

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Brake Discs

Post by ronk » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:29 pm

Just had our three year old 335 Xd in for its end of warranty check and mot - they’ve found the rear face of the front discs are a bit rough, good enough to pass an mot and with 8mm on the pads - it’s only done 15k in those three years and neither of us have used the car in anger so I suppose that’s the disadvantage of low miles and gentle treatment.

The car has got the M sport twin pot brake pack and big discs so no doubt the BMW parts will cost me - I’m sure there will after market parts to choose from and an Indy to fit them!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Brake Discs

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:38 pm

Is this the same Ron that hurtles down the autobahn at daft as a brush speeds...?? :?

Get the thing going and press the brake pedal young man...bust the rust..!! :wink: :driving:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Brake Discs

Post by ronk » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:56 pm

john-e89 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:38 pm Is this the same Ron that hurtles down the autobahn at daft as a brush speeds...??

Get the thing going and press the brake pedal young man...bust the rust..!! :wink: :driving:
The same one!
Fortunately at those daft speeds I’ve never needed the big pedal, so only gets used from driving miss daisy speeds.

If i had to use the big pedal in anger - Mrs K would be on my case for many a mile I can tell you !

On my way home from the dealer I was giving the brakes some good firm pushes to try and scrub any rust and crap but because the system is so robust I don’t think it got any real mechanical effort into the system - it certainly didn’t get very warm - the amount of work I put into them, a normal system would have be smokin‘

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Brake Discs

Post by mcbeee » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:11 am

Had some rusty bits on the Highlander brakes, ended up warping the rotors. They swapped them under warranty and told us that you have to drive em once in a while to keep the rust off. We were used to living on the prairies where the humidity is very low. Ok, I’m good with that but then they tried to sell us on taking the brakes off every year and sandblasting them to clean them up. Now I’ve driven a lot of trucks through a lot of mud, snow, slime, sand and dirt and I’m not OK with that. Sounds like bull**it to me. So “No sale.”
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Brake Discs

Post by ronk » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:34 am

It seems to me that being mechanically sympathetic to a vehicle that is designed for brisk use isn’t the best for preserving the life of components like brake discs.

‘Drive it like you stole it ‘ might be the best maxim!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Brake Discs

Post by buzyg » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:46 am

ronk wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:34 am It seems to me that being mechanically sympathetic to a vehicle that is designed for brisk use isn’t the best for preserving the life of components like brake discs.

‘Drive it like you stole it ‘ might be the best maxim!
No problem with that one. :driving: :thumbsup:

Just not too often. :wink: