Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Time for a new TV

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
JimsZ

Time for a new TV

Post by JimsZ » Tue May 29, 2018 1:57 am

Keep thinking of binning off my 40” pioneer plasma, but the only thing catching my eye is the Sony Bravia range. A lot of Tv for £500 or £600 at 55”
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

Darkangelv2

Time for a new TV

Post by Darkangelv2 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:40 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:42 pm I have a 6 year old Samsung 43 inch Plasma that is still going strong!

But sadly nobody seems to make Plasma TVs anymore. :(
I had this at the forefront of my mind when replacing our Pioneer Kuro. Managed to find a top of the range 50" Panasonic Plasma on Gumtree for a steal (complete with 5 years warranty and receipt for £1800 1 year earlier!) for less than £300!! Beautiful picture.

Then moved house and needed a TV for the kitchen diner and went for a £600 50" Samsung. Must admit, i am very impressed with how much LCD/LED technology has moved on. Motion and blacks are very good. You can now get the 55" for that price!
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

JimsZ

Time for a new TV

Post by JimsZ » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:08 pm

Any one know if smart TVs mean you can dispense with the need for areal`s and Coax cables from terrestrial TV and sky boxes etc. Its just I'm moving soon and will probably replace my TV`s (1 down 5 to go...!!!) with a new smart TV.. Trying to find out if il need to be running loads of cables still...?

Any experts in this field in here can advise.. im with Sky for phone, fibre, and SKY Q so have the full Monty and plan on sticking with them so will obviously get their advise and no doubt get sold multi room again ..

I mean I can literally watch TV now on my phone with all the apps I have and Netflix etc. :rofl:

Dont want to go down the cable route any more as the technology seems to be there to eliminate it :?
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Time for a new TV

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:37 pm

JimsZ wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:08 pm Any one know if smart TVs mean you can dispense with the need for areal`s and Coax cables from terrestrial TV and sky boxes etc. Its just I'm moving soon and will probably replace my TV`s (1 down 5 to go...!!!) with a new smart TV.. Trying to find out if il need to be running loads of cables still...?

Any experts in this field in here can advise.. im with Sky for phone, fibre, and SKY Q so have the full Monty and plan on sticking with them so will obviously get their advise and no doubt get sold multi room again ..

I mean I can literally watch TV now on my phone with all the apps I have and Netflix etc. :rofl:

Dont want to go down the cable route any more as the technology seems to be there to eliminate it :?
We have a smart tv & it has Wi-fi & Ariel connected, some programs are streamed and some are terrestrial :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

JimsZ

Time for a new TV

Post by JimsZ » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:52 pm

Do you stream via sky, virgin box or other service provider equipment wired in a main room or direct from the internet service?

I guess the areal is providing digital services?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Time for a new TV

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:16 am

JimsZ wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:52 pm Do you stream via sky, virgin box or other service provider equipment wired in a main room or direct from the internet service?

I guess the areal is providing digital services?
We’ve got a bt tv box that’s connected to the wifi and a kody box which streams as well.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Time for a new TV

Post by enzed4 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:58 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:42 pm I have a 6 year old Samsung 43 inch Plasma that is still going strong!

Skip the LCD's and go from Plasma to OLED, or you'll be quite disappointed with the picture quality (plasma to OLED is what I did).
OP, if you're looking for OLED definitely check out the new Philips OLED (9002 I think). AVForums ran a blind test between the Panasonic (which I have), LG, Sony, and Philips, and the Philips was the clear winner in almost every category.
Obviously, OLEDs don't fall into the 'cheap' category, but I do love mine :-)
Oh, and forget the Samsung 'QLED' BS - just marketing.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Zeld4

Time for a new TV

Post by Zeld4 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi, if you are going to mount the TV near your hi-fi you can do what I did which was buy a digital to analog converter which I think was about 40 quid and plug it straight in to your amp. I just have a stereo set up, not surround sound but it still does a great job. And much much better than a sound bar.

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Time for a new TV

Post by RustyZ4 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:19 pm

OLED TVs are good, but bloody expensive for a small percentage gain over LCD/LED, and OLED they will come down in price or end up in the 3D/Curved screen bracket,

its a well known fact they are producing a lot more TVs than are sold, we all moved on from the CRT market, and surely we all watch TV for the entertainment not sit there thinking if I had an OLED that black would be a bit deeper,, I love a good sharp picture, I have a sony bravia and love it
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

JamieZ4C

Time for a new TV

Post by JamieZ4C » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:37 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:19 pm OLED TVs are good, but bloody expensive for a small percentage gain over LCD/LED, and OLED they will come down in price or end up in the 3D/Curved screen bracket,

its a well known fact they are producing a lot more TVs than are sold, we all moved on from the CRT market, and surely we all watch TV for the entertainment not sit there thinking if I had an OLED that black would be a bit deeper,, I love a good sharp picture, I have a sony bravia and love it
^^this, right down to still loving my Sony Bravia LCD after 10 years!

There's definitely a price point for most things where the extra ££'s don't add up to the extra benefit. Like expensive hifi's or bottles of wine.

But each to their own I guess. Some people probably don't get why we drive Z4's and would point out another car could do the same job at a fraction of the price.

But what do they know :roll: :lol:

Mister T

Time for a new TV

Post by Mister T » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:41 pm

I just switched my excellent 50" Panasonic Plasma (TX-P50VT20) for a 65" Panasonic OLED (TX-65EZ952B), very impressed with it so far :) What seems to make a difference these days is that manufacturers are getting the calibration almost perfect straight out of the box.

Admittedly a pricey upgrade, but I'd had 7 years service from the plasma, so if the new OLED last as long it doesn't seem that bad...

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Time for a new TV

Post by RustyZ4 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:11 pm

JamieZ4C wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:37 pm
RustyZ4 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:19 pm OLED TVs are good, but bloody expensive for a small percentage gain over LCD/LED, and OLED they will come down in price or end up in the 3D/Curved screen bracket,

^^this, right down to still loving my Sony Bravia LCD after 10 years!

There's definitely a price point for most things where the extra ££'s don't add up to the extra benefit. Like expensive hifi's or bottles of wine.

But each to their own I guess. Some people probably don't get why we drive Z4's and would point out another car could do the same job at a fraction of the price.

But what do they know :roll: :lol:
Oh I do get people are happy to pay extra ££ for the extra benefit, as you say we all drive Zeds and not ford ka`s, I love a good HI Fi :D and I love Guitars even more :lol: god knows I have paid enough for some of mine, but ones half the price would do the job almost as well, but my point (badly made) is a TV you watch to entertain and is usually a family thing, my wife is happy to watch tv in non HD :headbang: as she says, she watches a program to enjoy it, not to see how sharp the grass is,,,
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Time for a new TV

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:36 pm

I wonder if I hold the record? Recently replaced our 42” Samsung plasma after 13 years service! :o
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

JimsZ

Time for a new TV

Post by JimsZ » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 pm

11 years for my 40" Pioneer Plasma = Excellent picture still just not smart enough :P

Any takers... :wink:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Time for a new TV

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Great news in that case - my 43" Samsung Plasma is a mere youngster at 6 years! :D
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black