Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I8

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Jaw

I8

Post by Jaw » Fri May 25, 2018 8:29 am

Don't know if anyones had a chance to go for a cruise in one, but I finally have now - Have this for the weekend:

as a package - really impressed :driving: it's not supercar quick, no more than any M car really, the steering is a bit bland but its a great package.

The key is like a mobile phone itself, not sure how long the battery lasts (or does it self charge?)

The engine sounds surprisingly good in sport mode for what it is. I'd miss having a 'proper' engine, but I could deffo live with it, they look SO much better in the metal. Looking forwards for a long drive tomorrow
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Phoenixboy

I8

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri May 25, 2018 11:10 am

looks the business, I reckon I could live with it :wink:
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

I8

Post by kis » Fri May 25, 2018 11:10 am

You an e85/e86? Let me know how you get on. And the differences. Always been interested in this, only thing that does put me off is the battery? Which will need replacing and isn't like a standard combustion engine (and sub components)... so many things are unknown! Obviously gottu wait a bit for it to depreciate enough for me to afford as well :rofl:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Jaw

I8

Post by Jaw » Mon May 28, 2018 10:27 am

kis wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:10 am You an e85/e86? Let me know how you get on. And the differences. Always been interested in this, only thing that does put me off is the battery? Which will need replacing and isn't like a standard combustion engine (and sub components)... so many things are unknown! Obviously gottu wait a bit for it to depreciate enough for me to afford as well :rofl:
:D I had an 85 (M) but v hard to compare the two, it feels a lot more 'supercar' than a Z would, the interior is a lovely place to be. A mate I picked up said it was bland but it is quite similar to the Z4's interior when I Think about it (and I like simple rather than lashings of plastic everwhere)

Steering is responsive but a little more feedback would have been good as it's a bit 'numb'. Sport mode is addictive - I assume it sounds better inside the car than it does outside. The roadster would be brilliant, but seeing the carbon chassis and climbing over it, and the gullwing doors make it feel v special.

Possible Annoyances: boot is tiny - albeit big enough for me - I'm guessing about half the size of the 911.. Windows don't go down fully inside of the doors - this bugged me a little. Lacks a bit of drama noise wise, but blips nicely on the shift. I hate augmented sound with a passion, but I have to say I was constantly thinking 'that sounds great, is it real or through the speakers?', so I suppose they've done a good job in that respect - it feels real.. It rides firm - but to me it's appropriate for the type of car it's supposed to be, so I like it.

Felt very fast thanks to the insta-torque 'leccy motor but also couldn't help to constantly think ''wish this had a v10...'' I wanted to dislike it but in all honesty it's a stunning car :driving: The power is so damned accessible, but I fear that this makes it feel faster than it is maybe? I found I was pulling out of corners faster than anything else, away from standstills a lot of the time you can pull away very fast without a lot of drama - and it feels very, very rapid but can't help but feel like you'd get a dollop of perspective if something like an m3 or c63 pulled up and wanted a go.

I've seen an akro exhaust with three pipes and I think something like that would finish it off perfectly

you're right with the unknowns, we'll see how the long term servicability on these turns out!
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

buzyg
Legend
Legend

I8

Post by buzyg » Mon May 28, 2018 10:59 pm

They look nice. But your right they are not that fast. I often see a blue one on the Tavistock to Gunnislake road. On the odd occasion he opens it up the Zed has no trouble following. :thumbsup:

kis
Lifer
Lifer

I8

Post by kis » Tue May 29, 2018 8:51 am

Indeed they are two very different cars... well at their heart anyway!

I imagine it does feel special, but doesn't that always come with a new car? Not to mention it's actually physically newer. So tech, styling, etc. will be more up to date. Plus it's got the supercar styling, lets be honest it's not trying to blend in!

Boot space must be bigger than the Zed surely! :o

And sound, I think it is all through speakers lol. I've seen a video of a guy going "give it some then" and basically the car doesn't do anything. :rofl: I guess it's one of those things about being electric - most people expect a V10 or something!

If you wanted something with "raw" power then you could easily opt for an R8 etc, etc, as similar price bracket. I think with the i8 you're also paying for the newer electric tech as well as the performance. With decades behind the petrol engine... electricity powered engines are just in their infancy really. But it shows a hint of what they're capable of! I guess like you said we'll just have to wait and see!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Jaw

I8

Post by Jaw » Tue May 29, 2018 8:59 am

kis wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:51 am Indeed they are two very different cars... well at their heart anyway!

I imagine it does feel special, but doesn't that always come with a new car? Not to mention it's actually physically newer. So tech, styling, etc. will be more up to date. Plus it's got the supercar styling, lets be honest it's not trying to blend in!

And sound, I think it is all through speakers lol. I've seen a video of a guy going "give it some then" and basically the car doesn't do anything. :rofl: I guess it's one of those things about being electric - most people expect a V10 or something!

If you wanted something with "raw" power then you could easily opt for an R8 etc, etc, as similar price bracket. I think with the i8 you're also paying for the newer electric tech as well as the performance. With decades behind the petrol engine... electricity powered engines are just in their infancy really. But it shows a hint of what they're capable of! I guess like you said we'll just have to wait and see!
I don't know, I've driven plenty of new cars that don't feel anywhere as special or have anywhere near the presence. Yep the styling of it is a big part, something about climbing over the high sills and then pulling a door down, it deffo had a supercar appeal about it..

Eg lined up next to a couple of mates' fiestas:

Can confirm that boot space is less than the Z! it's a small compartment behind the engine (unless the front has storage too, didn't have a proper search now I think about it!)

I think a big part of the price is also that carbon fibre body stuff - just like how it raises the price on the Alfa 4c. That's a crazy point, as much as I like it, I couldn't imagine choosing it over an r8 personally

kis
Lifer
Lifer

I8

Post by kis » Tue May 29, 2018 9:18 am

TBH I think my old Zed would look "better" than the Fiestas, so the i8 it's not really fair :lol:

Wow it is a small boot then! I guess the rear passengers can carry any luggage if needs be! :lol:

I'm a Bimmer at heart too, don't think I'd like/get on with anything else!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

buzyg
Legend
Legend

I8

Post by buzyg » Tue May 29, 2018 9:56 am

Jaw wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:59 am
kis wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:51 am Indeed they are two very different cars... well at their heart anyway!

I don't know, I've driven plenty of new cars that don't feel anywhere as special or have anywhere near the presence. Yep the styling of it is a big part, something about climbing over the high sills and then pulling a door down, it deffo had a supercar appeal about it..

Eg lined up next to a couple of mates' fiestas:

Can confirm that boot space is less than the Z! it's a small compartment behind the engine (unless the front has storage too, didn't have a proper search now I think about it!)

I think a big part of the price is also that carbon fibre body stuff - just like how it raises the price on the Alfa 4c. That's a crazy point, as much as I like it, I couldn't imagine choosing it over an r8 personally
Must be something wrong with me. Honestly, I would take the new Fiesta ST over an I8 all day long. :D

abar121

I8

Post by abar121 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:17 pm

I recently drove a Mini Cooper with the same basic B38 engine.

If only it had the same sound composer software though. What a dull engine in the Cooper!
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

I8

Post by kis » Tue May 29, 2018 12:27 pm

Really Cooper? I thought it was only the Countryman piece of rubbish, that had the hybrid engine?
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

abar121

I8

Post by abar121 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:21 pm

It's got the B38 triple 1.5 Turbo engine that is basically the same core as the i8. Tons of components are different of course and no hybrid.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.