Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Loans on the media

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Loans on the media

Post by Nictrix » Tue May 22, 2018 3:40 pm

noiseboy72 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:04 am Brighthouse have a lot to answer for.
Does the royal family or the queen not have shares in this company?
That's one way to look after your loyal subjects
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Loans on the media

Post by ronk » Sat May 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Years ago a colleague wanted to buy something from bright house as a cash purchase (the unit was the only one he had seen like it he told me) he had to move heaven and earth to get them to accept his cash!

I suppose they would rather sell with their weekly % added
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Loans on the media

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat May 26, 2018 10:11 pm

ronk wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:30 pm I suppose they would rather sell with their weekly % added
Well of course they would - their profit is in the finance, not the sale!

Funnily enough I saw one of these adverts on the TV earlier (I can't remember the firm, but it had a couple in a camper van with a bear outside scratching his back) and it reminded me of this thread - the APR was 1291%! :headbang:

No wonder anyone who treads that path ends up f*cked!

I know they are a lender of last resort, but surely preying on the most needy like that shouldn't be allowed? :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Courageous

Loans on the media

Post by Courageous » Sun May 27, 2018 7:25 am

Went right off Carol Vorederman when she stooped so low as to front one of these on Tv. Was rather shocked at that! Silly cow. :?

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Loans on the media

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:36 am

It’s just the “ modern “ way isn’t it?

Everyone wants the big tv, latest iPhone, Bmw on the drive etc etc

I have friends that have good incomes, but are always potless..
If they stopped working it got injured they would be homeless within a month with nowt but their arse and a bowl of Frosties for company .

There has always been the “ keeping up with the Joneses scenario” but nowadays it’s on a different level totally ..

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Loans on the media

Post by john-e89 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:36 am It’s just the “ modern “ way isn’t it?

Everyone wants the big tv, latest iPhone, Bmw on the drive etc etc

I have friends that have good incomes, but are always potless..
If they stopped working it got injured they would be homeless within a month with nowt but their arse and a bowl of Frosties for company .

There has always been the “ keeping up with the Joneses scenario” but nowadays it’s on a different level totally ..
I don’t know how they sleep at night, I’d be shitting myself from morn’ ‘till night.

We went on hols with friends 4 yrs ago, they still haven’t paid it off, all on credit cards, running round spinning plates like chickens with no heads. Madness.... :dizzy:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Loans on the media

Post by ronk » Sun May 27, 2018 1:28 pm

Money seems very available these days - when we got a mortgage in 1978 we were interviewed by the manager of the building society as to our ability to pay.
90% was the max we could get - I was an Eng Draughtsman and my wife a teacher both decent jobs at the time but it wasn’t a definite we got the loan.

Crazy Harry

Loans on the media

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun May 27, 2018 2:22 pm

ronk wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:28 pm Money seems very available these days - when we got a mortgage in 1978 we were interviewed by the manager of the building society as to our ability to pay.
90% was the max we could get - I was an Eng Draughtsman and my wife a teacher both decent jobs at the time but it wasn’t a definite we got the loan.
Got my first mortgage in the early 80's I couldn't better 90% - it was 2.5 times my salary or 2 times joint. By the time we moved for work in the early 90's you could borrow 110% (for furniture and moving expenses) and I think it was 3 times both with some providers. No wonder house prices went up and borrowing followed! - well Magie had to find some way to let tenants afford to buy their council houses.

At least we only wanted a few grand more so it was a mortgage of about 40% which 2.5 time mine easily covered - I moved south just after the first house price dip which hadn't got to the north at the time - mainly because our prices hadn't gone up so much

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Loans on the media

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun May 27, 2018 9:58 pm

And yet mortgage lenders are getting really particular again - mind you it's about time!

I bought my first house in 1985 and borrowed £30K for a £34,500 property - I was borrowing a bit more than 3 times my salary, but luckily my employer had a good relationship with the Abbey National as it was then!

But it was hard going with interest rates around 15% - when I first moved in I couldn't afford a TV or a freezer! :rofl:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Loans on the media

Post by ronk » Sun May 27, 2018 10:38 pm

15% - I remember those days well. We had a lot of second hand stuff and was glad of it. I seems that these days they [url]want , new , nice and now!
The bit I don’t like is that they say that the current situation is the fault of us oldies and we should fund / somehow compensate them...?

They also seem to forget that we had massive unemployment to deal with as well as huge interest rates..

Crazy Harry

Loans on the media

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun May 27, 2018 11:05 pm

Every one had second hand stuff! It was what you had to do then so I don't think any of us worried too much. It feels like there was a lot less stuff on which to spend the little money we did have - no computers; mobiles or other tech.

Even in the suburbs you couldn't buy petrol after about 8:00pm and not at all on Sunday and in the villages it was like time stood still at weekends.

You only bought what you could already afford (house and maybe car excepted) I think life was a simpler then but I can still remember counting biscuits and rounds of bread to make the end of the week when we were first married and my wife couldn't get a job.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Loans on the media

Post by buzyg » Mon May 28, 2018 12:37 am

The peer pressure is off the scale these days, due to social media. We were furtunate and both had good jobs, when we got married, lived in rentals untill I was 29, while we saved a deposit and rode to Asda once a week for shopping. Bought my first car at 27 for cash. Like every car I have bought since.

Now people just seem to give in to the hype and spend money the don't have. :cry:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Loans on the media

Post by ronk » Mon May 28, 2018 10:14 am

To this day i still use my “Toffee Tin” system - I’ve got a car slush fund that I bung odds and sods of small cheques etc into along with a few £100 each month. It rarely gets touched but it’s there - just in case!

SeanConnor

Loans on the media

Post by SeanConnor » Mon May 28, 2018 11:37 am

buzyg wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:37 am The peer pressure is off the scale these days, due to social media. We were furtunate and both had good jobs, when we got married, lived in rentals untill I was 29, while we saved a deposit and rode to Asda once a week for shopping. Bought my first car at 27 for cash. Like every car I have bought since.

Now people just seem to give in to the hype and spend money the don't have. :cry:
Yup I'm the same. My old man told me "if you haven't got the money in the bank then you can't afford it" My youngest nephew drives me nuts. Don't get me wrong , I love the little bugger dearly but it's all want, want want. The latest is that he ONLY has an iPhone 6s and therefore NEEDS an iPhone 8 or whatever. For God's sake he's only 12/13. Unfortunately his parents indulge him to the extent that he will probably get one. Knowing the cost of everything but the value of nothing.
Rant off :roll:
2008 Sport Coupe Automatic with lots of extras.

Now with cruise control and Mediabridge :driving: Gold wheels HAVE BEEN SACKED.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Loans on the media

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon May 28, 2018 10:32 pm

Couldn't agree more - my Dad also always told me if you didn't have the money you couldn't afford it!

I did Saturday jobs while I was still at school and even my 1st car (or more realistically, POS) was paid for when I was 17!

Fast forward nearly 40 years and 3 or 4 years ago my niece (who always has the latest iphone of course) had her 120K mile Seat Ibiza die on her. Her parents were parting so had no money, she still owed her grandmother some money from when she rented a flat so could I help out?

For some reason I did stump up some cash as a loan for a VW Polo (which got written off a few months later)! :( Still I found her a Corsa within the insurance pay-out!

But I never got any repayments from her, so a year or so later when her brother was wondering what to do about his Seat Leon that was due a cam-belt I let him drive my BMW 325ti. And then he wanted one of those, so I thought I might as well stick the same amount into his pot because I was never going to get anything back from his sister!

But I won't be doing it again. :P
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black