Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Poor driving standards

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Poor driving standards

Post by firebobby » Fri May 18, 2018 6:22 pm

ronk wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:49 pm I suppose all you young pups are driving gods?

Yes, I’d be more than happy to take a test. Let’s fund it by charging the under 70’s if it bugs them so much :rofl:

I do agree with the general sentiment that driving standards in the Uk isn’t the best - lane discipline is rubbish and one of my pet hates is the heavies who play at elephant racing for mile after mile doing 1mph or less trying to pass another governed lorry :headbang:
Don't you start on truck drivers...you old person :P :rofl:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Poor driving standards

Post by ronk » Fri May 18, 2018 6:26 pm

I’ve got to be careful as the son in law does the super heavy stuff. I doubt if he gets over 20mph so more like a rolling road block than an elephant race :rofl:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Poor driving standards

Post by Maniac » Fri May 18, 2018 7:06 pm

And Audi drivers who think the Z4 is a red mist trigger.

Had that one tonight. Nearly had a very differently shaped car because at a cross roads where my light goes green a few seconds before the oncoming cars, allowing one or two drivers to turn before the oncoming cars start, he didn’t like that so planted the throttle as I was turning across the traffic. If I’d not then planted mine I’d have the aforementioned reshaped Z.

Totally no need, everyone else just sets off at normal speeds but this one person saw red and found it totally acceptable to attempt to t bone me.

Some people just need to calm the f**k down.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Poor driving standards

Post by john-e89 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:36 pm

Maniac wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Some people just need to calm the f**k down.
I seriously think half the population needs to take happy pills......sooooooooo much aggression around....

An anti D a day keeps the nastiness at bay....

Having said that I’d love to buy the most knackered, rustiest old pick up, put a big rotten old chicken coop on the back and trundle along the outside line of the M1 with my arm out of the window and a flea bitten hat on just to see how many stress heads I could give a coronary too..... :lol:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Beemer233

Poor driving standards

Post by Beemer233 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:36 pm

All this poor driving is caused by a lack of driver education and a lack of robust Police presence on the roads. I mean its only in recent years that motorway driving has become part of the driving test as I understand it? Yes, the necessity to return to lane 1 (slow lane) as soon as possible after overtaking is now a legal obligation but who in heaven's name enforces it! Driving for many is simply a means of getting from A to B ....for these folk they rarely develop beyond the basic skills and often leave a trail of frustration and near misses in their wake. For others, driving is a profession or a skill to be honed and enjoyed. As a member of the IAM for over 38 yrs on motorcycles and cars the training I initially received has stood me in good stead and enabled me to survive driving all over Europe often at legal speeds unknown in the UK. I encourage anyone interested in improving their driving skills or those of younger drivers in particular to get involved with IAM RoadSmart (registered charity)....see link below...

https://www.iamroadsmart.com
Jan 2007 E86 Z4 3.0si Coupe high spec in Monaco Blue Metallic/Champagne/Piano currently on 18 inch CW4 Sterling Silver Borbets....

I intend to live forever.....or at least die trying!......Groucho Marx

Kingfisher

Poor driving standards

Post by Kingfisher » Sat May 19, 2018 2:16 pm

You should live where I do .... all the above but much much worse! ... :x
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Poor driving standards

Post by mcbeee » Sun May 20, 2018 12:54 am

When I worked for the Evil Empire, I had to take a driving test every 5 years to renew my company driving license. It was great, a day of fun and games at an abandoned Air Force training field, with pylons and sometimes deep snowbanks. A driving test on the way there and more on the way back. It was a really good reminder of how sloppy we get over time because if you failed the test you could severely hurt your career so you had to be good. I believe it should be the same for every driver... 5 year renewals should have a road test and a quiz ,,, and,,, classroom discussion of defensive driving ( which is never part of a normal driving test).
I drove in Alberta and all through the western USA where passing is allowed in any lane in most places. Sometimes there are signs that suggest slower moving traffic keeps right. BC has a lane law but the right lane is so rutted and rough it’s horrible to drive a sports car in, plus the idiots doing ten or fifteen under just slow everything down.
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)