Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Poor driving standards

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Poor driving standards

Post by firebobby » Thu May 17, 2018 11:41 am

Just lately, I have notice so many drivers who stick to the middle lane with a Fook to the rest of the world attitude. These twats are so annoying and I now just undertake most of them.
Last night I happened upon a real tool, he was on the A404 bypass, a 2 lane road and yes, he was sat in the outside lane doing about 53 mph :headbang:
A couple of flashes of my headlights made no difference, so I undertook the muppet with some hand gestures as I passed and he still sat out there.
In a HGV, you can't go in lane 3 on a motorway to over take these dangerous pests.
I thought there was a law against hogging the middle lane. :x
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Phoenixboy

Poor driving standards

Post by Phoenixboy » Thu May 17, 2018 12:15 pm

happens all the time.
some people are completely oblivious to the fact, and like you I have undertaken them in the car and on my bike.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Crazy Harry

Poor driving standards

Post by Crazy Harry » Thu May 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Have you noticed over the last few years that undertaking has become almost socially acceptable?

The lane hogging appears to be getting worse I agree and I think is due to a mix of: older people driving (my parents and my wife's parents now in their very late 80's and having to drive due to lack of public transport) many motorway layouts that now have dedicated lanes approaching junctions; more traffic so people don't move in just in case they can't move back out later; more drivers here who learned in LHD cars and tend to revert back to LHD lane positions (come on who hasn't almost turned onto the wrong side of the road turning right at a junction in France late at night on an empty road); SATNAV and lack of public information films on the telly. We need Reginald Molehusband and his friends as pop ups on phones and PC's - who? ask your parents :lol:

Not that this winds me up you understand!

Silverzedtom

Poor driving standards

Post by Silverzedtom » Thu May 17, 2018 1:09 pm

So irritating. I tend to use the over take in lane three and swerve back into lane one method.

After years and years of thinking for a possible explanation for why people do it I’m still none the wiser.

My favourite is when the flash me for passing through the middle lane in front of them.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Poor driving standards

Post by Nictrix » Thu May 17, 2018 1:55 pm

My pet hate is people not using indicators.
Why is it that most road users now don't indicate or leave it till the very last second before doing it.
You would think it costs money to use them.
I use indicators everywhere and try to give plenty of notice to others around me as possible.
The last thing I want is someone rear ending me for not indicating.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

JamieZ4C

Poor driving standards

Post by JamieZ4C » Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 pm

All forms of bad driving irritate the hell out of me.

But what irritates me more is that the government insist on vehicle's having an MOT every year to test that the vehicle is roadworthy, but don't bother insisting on testing the people who are in control of them. Ever. Pass your test once, and never be tested again. Madness! :x

If everyone had to take some form of periodic test to make sure their abilities were up to scratch it would force people to maintain a higher standard of driving and for those who can't achieve a certain standard, GET THEM OFF THE ROAD!!!

Rant over.

weegeoff

Poor driving standards

Post by weegeoff » Thu May 17, 2018 2:20 pm

Where I live we have a lot of single track roads and there are Big Blue signs which say allow overtaking. You would be surprised how many people cannot read. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Last edited by weegeoff on Fri May 18, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Poor driving standards

Post by ph001 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:53 pm

JamieZ4C wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 pm All forms of bad driving irritate the hell out of me.

But what irritates me more is that the government insist on vehicle's having an MOT every year to test that the vehicle is roadworthy, but don't bother insisting on testing the people who are in control of them. Ever. Pass your test once, and never be tested again. Madness!

If everyone had to take some form of periodic test to make sure their abilities were up to scratch it would force people to maintain a higher standard of driving and for those who can't achieve a certain standard, GET THEM OFF THE ROAD!!!

Rant over.
^^^^This. Especially when you get to say 70 yrs old. You can't even imagine what has changed in terms of the highway code since 1965 and there is absolutely ZERO requirement to know any of it from the day you pass your test. Should be a 10 year retest for everyone and a 5 yr retest once you get over 70.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Vonlipvig

Poor driving standards

Post by Vonlipvig » Thu May 17, 2018 3:29 pm

People not indicating on busy roundabouts is what gets me. The amount of times I could have gone if people actually used their indicators is mental. I find myself just sat there waiting, normally to the frustration of those behind, because I do not want to floor it and force someone to slam the brakes on as it would be my fault, rightly so.
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Poor driving standards

Post by ben g » Thu May 17, 2018 3:44 pm

weegeoff wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:20 pm Where I live we have a lot of single track roads and there are Bid Blue signs which say allow overtaking. You would be surprised how many people cannot read. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Some woman actually complained to the Police because I overtook her down a 60mph B Road. Big signs showing the NSL limit and she was doing 30mph on a straight piece of road.

I overtook her thinking nothing of it (I was in a 1.0 100ps ford focus, hardly fast) and she came flying up behind me when I was in a 30mph urban area, flashing me.

I stopped, asked her what he problem was and she said I could've killed her, her mum and her baby in her car because I overtook her :lol:

I honestly don't think people read or understand the highway code.

Anyway, long story short, the police didn't bother coming to ask for my side of the story. They just issued the car with a section 59 :lol: absolute waste of spaces, both the silly old bint and the police.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Poor driving standards

Post by buzyg » Thu May 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Clearly I have found the new let off steam thread. :lol: I just sit behind them and listen to Classic FM. :wink: :driving: :P

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Poor driving standards

Post by firebobby » Fri May 18, 2018 10:39 am

buzyg wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:39 pm Clearly I have found the new let off steam thread. :lol: I just sit behind them and listen to Classic FM. :wink: :driving: :P
Ah, but you don't live in the rat race southeast :P
Had the ultimate t**t last night, driving on the M40 and getting ready to exit at a junction, the car in front was also indicating to turn off, then suddenly hits the brakes in lane one still a good 100 yards from the turn. I was a good 100 yards behind doing 55 (HGV) and caught him quickly, he then crawled along at 25 mph!! WTF. I had my full beam and horn blaring. The tosser continued at this speed up to the junction and then carried on along the motorway :headbang: . Where is a policeman when you need one :roll:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Poor driving standards

Post by ronk » Fri May 18, 2018 3:31 pm

ph001 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:53 pm
JamieZ4C wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 pm All forms of bad driving irritate the hell out of me.

But what irritates me more is that the government insist on vehicle's having an MOT every year to test that the vehicle is roadworthy, but don't bother insisting on testing the people who are in control of them. Ever. Pass your test once, and never be tested again. Madness!

Rant over.
^^^^This. Especially when you get to say 70 yrs old. You can't even imagine what has changed in terms of the highway code since 1965 and there is absolutely ZERO requirement to know any of it from the day you pass your test. Should be a 10 year retest for everyone and a 5 yr retest once you get over 70.

Not all of us 70 ‘ s are dithering old farts!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Poor driving standards

Post by ph001 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:39 pm

ronk wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:31 pm Not all of us 70 ‘ s are dithering old farts!
...then you won't mind doing a test every 5 years to prove it!
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Poor driving standards

Post by ronk » Fri May 18, 2018 3:49 pm

I suppose all you young pups are driving gods?

Yes, I’d be more than happy to take a test. Let’s fund it by charging the under 70’s if it bugs them so much :rofl:

I do agree with the general sentiment that driving standards in the Uk isn’t the best - lane discipline is rubbish and one of my pet hates is the heavies who play at elephant racing for mile after mile doing 1mph or less trying to pass another governed lorry :headbang:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: