Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Breakdown Assistance wrong advice

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
benv6

Post by benv6 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Hi Guys,

I have been given the wrong advice from my Breakdown assistance company, basically the light management light appeared on my MINI'S Dash Board, the guy from Silverlink Assistance asked me to take it for a drive and blast it on high revs. H said it was nothing serious as the car was driving fine. I have followed his advice and I now there is a big knock knock in the engine. The car cannot be driven as it has lost too much power and the noise is getting louder and louder. The company said they will send another person to investigate it.

Do you know what are my chances of getting compensation ???

I do really miss my Z4 NOW !!!!!!!!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:09 am

Did he scan it for fault codes? I wonder if he thought it was an O2 sensor issue which sometimes can be helped by hot exhaust gases if they are carboned up. I’m assuming its a petrol mini and not a diesel?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Wed May 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Was it on the phone he told you or in person? If it's in person then you can request the call recording.

Silverlink are appalling! I take it you went through Chris Knott? When I called them out, they sent a low loader with a guy who had no mechanical knowledge, despite me saying that I wanted roadside assistance and the car was already at home. When I called them back I was told that as I declined the low loader and didn't' want the car towed anywhere they wouldn't be sending any more assistance. I was then told that unless they took it somewhere and had proof it was fixed they wouldn't offer any assistance for further call outs.

My father is with the RAC, called them and they came out, got the car started and I replaced the starter at his house. RAC even followed me to my father's house.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

benv6

Post by benv6 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:35 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:09 am Did he scan it for fault codes? I wonder if he thought it was an O2 sensor issue which sometimes can be helped by hot exhaust gases if they are carboned up. I’m assuming its a petrol mini and not a diesel?
It was the 02 sensor showing on his computer, yes! and It is a diesel.

It wasn't on the phone, the geezer came in person and seemed nice.

And yes, got it through Chris Knott, Having an appointment tonight with a Silverlink engineer to asses the damage and see what they say. Might have to contact Chris Knott if things turn sour !!! Just scared the guy will tell them that he didn't tell me anything !!
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:26 pm

OK. Well it is well documented how DPF's (diesel particulate filters) get clogged up on cars which only do frequent short journeys as they only go through a regeneration cycle typically when on a motorway or prolonged fast A road. What he was suggesting to you was to do just that to see if it clears the error code. Often it does.

If that's really the only codes he was seeing I'm not sure his advice was very bad to be honest. The engine knocking could have just been a coincidence. Checked oil level recently? Service history?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

TomK

Post by TomK » Wed May 09, 2018 4:51 pm

I can't see you getting very far with compo when all someone has told you to do is drive the car within it's manufacturers operating window.
Does it say in the manual to not rev the engine that high if the yellow symbol appears?
As said, I'd say that you were given fairly normal advice for a dpf car.
It may be a coincidence, maybe not, but to blame someone for telling you to rev the engine seems a bit weak to me. :?
Hope it's not too financially painful for you.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Wed May 09, 2018 5:18 pm

We've got a R50 and R52 think the engines are pretty solid like the M54 on pre facelifts. 1st gen models FTW! I've done some research on the DPF as well, you need to run for like 30 mins or so at high speed to heat up the filter enough to burn it off. That or if your car has a regeneration cycle or something like that. It burns it off on just a normal journey but problem if your journey is short and the cycle can't be completed. That's why I'm sticking with what we've got. Petrol is much more straightforward and with new MOT/ diesel issues generally I'm slightly put off. The only thing going for it in my books is the better economy!

Anyway! Back to topic! Do you know anyone on AA? I'm with them and they'll come out even if they're a "passenger" in YOUR car :wink:
Maybe RAC are the same but not sure (seem to be good as well - from previous post above).
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71