Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Speeding penalty

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Paulr

Speeding penalty

Post by Paulr » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:35 pm

Good solicitor will cost £1500 to £2000, court fees will be about £1500, and then of course the fine itself. I can introduce you to a good barrister who specializes in traffic law if you want?
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding penalty

Post by ronk » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:08 pm

To date I’ve been very lucky - but as I grow older it’s speeding by mistake that will catch me out!
Ie drifting into a 30 from a 40 zone.

I think I did more speeding with 35hp than I do with 350 :rofl:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

markalp

Speeding penalty

Post by markalp » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:22 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:08 pm To date I’ve been very lucky - but as I grow older it’s speeding by mistake that will catch me out!
Ie drifting into a 30 from a 40 zone.

I think I did more speeding with 35hp than I do with 350 :rofl:
Today I took the main road through willesden heading towards the north circular, the speed started off at 30, dropped to 20, increased to 30, dropped again to 20, then ended up back at 30, that is in the space of just under a mile, How anyine is spose to not get caught speeding along that road is beyond me.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

markalp

Speeding penalty

Post by markalp » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:25 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:11 pm
markalp wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:35 pm I may be turning into a conspiracy theorist because I now believe the speed limits and penalties are being set with the sole purpose on cutting down traffic numbers, and revenue raising, not for safety reasons.
To a point I agree they are big money earners, there was a outcry recently in Oxfordshire, where they switched off quite a few cameras because "they weren't paying for themselves", surely that's not the point of a speed camera, but back on thread, most 30mph are in residential areas, and none of us want anyone speeding when there are children or older people about
The general speed limit in residential is now 20mph, and thats only if you can get up to that speed with all the speed humps and potholes in the roads.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

mjennings23

Speeding penalty

Post by mjennings23 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:10 pm

firebobby wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:18 pm I agree that some speed limits are just plain stupid, Oxfordshire council really hate vehicles (unless they are electric or pushbikes) and love to impose 20 zones all over the place. These near schools, I understand but not in an area where there is no need for such draconian speed limits.
Instead of hanging, how about a day in the stocks then Ron :whistle:
Indeed, on my commute there is a 3 lane dual carriageway with a 30 limit. I really can't understand why a non-residential dual carriageway with traffic light controlled crossings etc is a 30, yet a few miles away a similar road is 70...

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding penalty

Post by ronk » Tue May 01, 2018 2:54 pm

There’s a stretch of the A1 (Yorkshire / Notts) which had a 50mph Limit - the road has been upgraded to a Dual carriageway and guess what ? They’ve retained the 50 limit along with cameras!

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding penalty

Post by tomscott » Tue May 01, 2018 4:46 pm

When I was 23 I was coming out of a village, super rural at 12-30am on my way home from work one Saturday evening, accelerating out and a police car was hidden in a turn in and got pulled doing 43mph in a 30. I got a fine of £60 and 3 points.

They were on a crack down for drink drivers. Got the full nine yards, walk, Breathalyzer, good talking too.

I thought that was harsh as I was heading out into a national speed limit but I broke the law. Anyway its the severity 30mph zones are the worst as they are high risk areas. If you work it out I was doing nearly 50% over the limit... 53 is nearly double the limit and may be a ban, depends on how lenient they are feeling. If its a crack down which many of them are, the fact she is a young driver and should have her lessons fairly fresh in the memory then they may make an example.

The worst bit is the documentation in small local papers. I used to work for a small newspaper and they used to publish all the small court cases like that, super embarrassing.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding penalty

Post by ronk » Tue May 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Sometimes a shock can have a long lasting effect!
45 years ago I failed a roadside breath test after two pints of weak lager - I subsequently passed the one at the police station!
Since that day I’ve never had anything to drink if I’m driving - the shock of those potential personal consequences has made a life long impression on me.

eleflo

Speeding penalty

Post by eleflo » Tue May 01, 2018 5:17 pm

I thought from last year speeding fines were linked to earnings ? maybe wrong :o sorry already mentioned :roll:

wrong roof, 2 pots short, stubby, wrong exhaust, no heated seats, but I luuuuv it, Now all gone to a new home

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding penalty

Post by ronk » Tue May 01, 2018 5:23 pm

eleflo wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:17 pm I thought from last year speeding fines were linked to earnings ? maybe wrong :o sorry already mentioned :roll:
You’re correct - they are !
I bet it still won’t apply to those football Prima Donnas tho!

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding penalty

Post by Nanu » Tue May 01, 2018 8:00 pm

Wouldn't expect a ban so take the points and most likely a big fine and walk away. Go to court and end up with the same points, a bigger fine and costs. No brainer really.

PS No need for a solicitor anyway just log onto the Peppipoo website
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding penalty

Post by ronk » Tue May 01, 2018 9:54 pm

Nanu wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:00 pm Wouldn't expect a ban so take the points and most likely a big fine and walk away. Go to court and end up with the same points, a bigger fine and costs. No brainer really.

PS No need for a solicitor anyway just log onto the Peppipoo website
It’s not me who’s been a naughty boy - it’s my daughters pal but I hear what your saying!
I think she understands the depth of poo she’s in and worried about any possible ban as she’s a mobile hairdresser!