Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Buying advice (house)

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by Smartbear » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:07 am

Woots wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:29 am So the vendor has responded;
I have now heard back from our vendor and she has thanked you for your offer and would love to sell her property to you, especially because of your position, but she if looking for an offer closer to the asking price.

So now we’d like to offer more but should we say we’d be willing to offer 405 and think that’s fair given the work needed to modernise the energy rating.
Or just offer 405
This is where you have to be poker faced & stick to your max price, after one maybe two increased offers it’s normal to add that it will be your final offer.
If you crumble because it’s your dream home the seller will know this & has the upper hand, you must be prepared to walk away! :cry:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Crazy Harry

Buying advice (house)

Post by Crazy Harry » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:51 am

Smartbear wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:07 am
I have now heard back from our vendor and she has thanked you for your offer and would love to sell her property to you, especially because of your position, but she if looking for an offer closer to the asking price.

So now we’d like to offer more but should we say we’d be willing to offer 405 and think that’s fair given the work needed to modernise the energy rating.
Or just offer 405
This is where you have to be poker faced & stick to your max price, after one maybe two increased offers it’s normal to add that it will be your final offer.
If you crumble because it’s your dream home the seller will know this & has the upper hand, you must be prepared to walk away! :cry:
Rob
+1 if you've got the nerve thank them for their response and say you'll get back in a few days when you've considered your position. Then book to view another property with the same agent and sit back for a while.

Gibon101

Buying advice (house)

Post by Gibon101 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:19 am

Crazy Harry wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:51 am
Smartbear wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:07 am

Or just offer 405
Rob
+1 if you've got the nerve thank them for their response and say you'll get back in a few days when you've considered your position. Then book to view another property with the same agent and sit back for a while.

+2 pal. I purchased my first gaff in Jan but that was after my initial place fell through a months prior (luckily didnt lose too much on it but annoying nevertheless) but from my experience of it all, this is good advice from Rob and is what I did when getting the current place.
2004 E85 2.5 manual

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by ben g » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:28 am

raymond.harper wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:57 pm When buying a house always consider having to sell it later. So do not rush into things. Avoid anything on or near a main road or anything in a flood plane that will affect you selling it easily. And finally if you have a mortgage it is up to the surveyor to determine the value not the estate agent. Could well be your offer of 415 is accepted and everyone measures for curtains and carpets. Then the survey values it at 400. You can always at the end of the day agree to a price and just before exchange when the chain is built up and everyone has mentally moved house you lower your offer.
Yeah... Ignore this idiot please :headbang:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Paulwirral

Buying advice (house)

Post by Paulwirral » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:31 am

Are the agents local or are you moving to a different area ? I bought and sold houses for a living in the past , if possible your much better going into the agents and dealing face to face , befriend the agents , they already know your in a position to move forward so they are looking forward to the commission from this deal . Once you've reminded them of this it's then possible they may get on the phone to the vendor and be able to get a better idea of what is an acceptable offer , or at least that's always worked for me . It's a good idea to have your partner humming and haaing beside you saying they like the "other" property you viewed . Play the agent .
I've been on both sides of this situation numerous times and it's just poker . Mind you , that said , there's always one who decides their house is worth a certain figure and that's it !

Darkangelv2

Buying advice (house)

Post by Darkangelv2 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:22 pm

[quote=Smartbear post_id=&lt;a href="tel:<a href="tel:1535358">1535358</a>"&gt;1535358&lt;/a&gt; time=&lt;a href="tel:<a href="tel:1524415201">1524415201</a>"&gt;1524415201&lt;/a&gt; user_id=15701]
Don’t forget, the agent is acting in the interests of the seller and not yours. They’re trying to maximise the price that can be achieved.
Rob
[/quote]

From experience on both sides of this I’d disagree that agents act for the seller. They act for themselves alone with no interest in taking max commission. They simply want the fastest commission.

The whole market is screwed in this respect. I’d want to pay a tiered commission that rewards the agent increasingly when they upsell the property. Not simply rewards them for happening to be the company you selected to take photos and post an online ad.
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by Woots » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:18 pm

We got it :)

Now the fun of solicitors and surveys can begin!
Lotus Exige 350

Paulwirral

Buying advice (house)

Post by Paulwirral » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:01 pm

Woots wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:18 pm We got it :)

Just remember the solicitor is working for you , some of them get on a power trip and go to the far end of a fart to justify their costs . I had a tame one that did a good job but didn't mess around as he knew me personally, retired now unfortunately .
Well done

Crazy Harry

Buying advice (house)

Post by Crazy Harry » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 pm

Well done :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by Smartbear » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:48 pm

Good news Woots 8)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by ronk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:02 pm

I remember buying my first house in a decent part of town £11k ok it was 40 years ago. I went into work the next day and the boys in the office threw their hands up with horror at the vast sum I paid. How times have changed!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

maxman

Buying advice (house)

Post by maxman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:10 am

One bit of advice I would give is not to go with an internet conveyanceing firm,they might be cheaper than a solicitor ,what you tend to have are unqualified people doing the work.This can lead to some horror stories or at best long delays.When you are buying a house money is tight ,this is one part of the process I would not cut corners on.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by ben g » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:46 am

maxman wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:10 am

One bit of advice I would give is not to go with an internet conveyanceing firm,they might be cheaper than a solicitor ,what you tend to have are unqualified people doing the work.This can lead to some horror stories or at best long delays.When you are buying a house money is tight ,this is one part of the process I would not cut corners on.
Same can be said for local ones too.

We went for one located 5 minutes away and we kept getting silly emails asking us to basically do their job for them.

Turns out the employee sending these emails was learning to do the job, so wasn't actually qualified yet. This was due to another solicitor being on maternity leave :headbang:

They wouldn't accept the conservatory didn't need planning permission (we bought it with the conservatory already installed) and in the end we had to pay £90 odd for an indemnity policy for the buyer. Not much in monetary value, but the hold up almost caused the seller further up the chain to pull out, meaning we almost lost our dream home.

It wasn't a nice experience!
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Buying advice (house)

Post by tomscott » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:43 am

Nice one woots nice to see you around :thumbsup: