Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Michelin High Power Tyre Inflator - any good?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Theog

Post by Theog » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:24 pm

TR4man wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:32 pm Bearing in mind the OP's concern was potentially inaccurate pressure gauges based upon the opinion of his local tyre fitter, I wonder how you would ensure that the gauges and tyre inflators you have at home are any more accurate than those on a petrol station forecourt?

Do you get them calibrated too? :roll:
hmm good point.

I suppose every time I get new tyres (roughly every years) I could check it against my local tyre merchants!?

@ph001 - that looks horrendous! Thanks for sharing though, quite an amazing story!

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:25 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:36 pm
TR4man wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:32 pm Bearing in mind the OP's concern was potentially inaccurate pressure gauges based upon the opinion of his local tyre fitter, I wonder how you would ensure that the gauges and tyre inflators you have at home are any more accurate than those on a petrol station forecourt?

A fair question. As far as the digital gauge I use for the final reading I can only trust it. The 981 has a gauge with all 4 TPMS readings and once on the go they all say 22kpa which is what the digital gauge says. More than that I don’t know what I could do... :?
Hi John. Are you sure your Porsche tyres are only 22 kpa all round ? Should that be 220kpa ? As 100 kpa = 1 bar = 14.5 psi, so 22 kpa = 0.22 bar = 3.19 psi only...a bit low ? :?
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:33 pm

Theog wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:43 am I see this is going for £36 which seems pretty good - http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... e-inflator
I have two of those, one in each car and two of the pressure gauges john-e89 linked, all very good pieces of kit.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

bradz

Post by bradz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:43 pm

I have this...

It was a bit of a whim purchase for £5 off a local selling page on Facebook.

I use it all the time, and so do all my friends when we do trackdays Its very very accurate as it does a self calibration on turn on, I have a longacre calibrated Motorsport gauge and it reads exactly the same!

Get it bought!
Z4M Coupe, E92 M3, E46 M3 Track car :driving:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:04 pm

The group test I linked to focuses on accuracy as one of the main features. Providing a gauge is within permitted spec, usually 0.3 - 0.5 psi you will have no issues, particularly when you consider that ambient weather temperatures will make far, far more difference than that (1 psi for each 10 Fahrenheit degree increase in temperature).
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

TR4man

Post by TR4man » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:38 pm

Ewazix wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Yes, that's fine when the gauges are new, what do you do after they have been used many times over the months? They don't remain accurate, they lose it (as commercial gauges do, hence the need for calibration).

The group test I linked to focuses on accuracy as one of the main features. Providing a gauge is within permitted spec, usually 0.3 - 0.5 psi you will have no issues, particularly when you consider that ambient weather temperatures will make far, far more difference than that (1 psi for each 10 Fahrenheit degree increase in temperature).
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.

TR4man

Post by TR4man » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:39 pm

TR4man wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:38 pm
Ewazix wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Yes, that's fine when the gauges are new, what do you do after they have been used many times over the months? They don't remain accurate, they lose it (as commercial gauges do, hence the need for calibration).

un1eash

Post by un1eash » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:46 pm

I have the Race X RX0014 gauge.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VZ8S26/ ... ZAb8RX1PX8

Every electric pump I've tried always dies after a few years, the latest Michelin manual pump failed after a few months as the hose went brittle and snapped. I now use an old £5 manual pump I got well over 15 years ago from motor world, then adjust using the gauge.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:06 am

I have TPMS on my car - so if the Michelin pump, digital gauge and TPMS are all stating the same reading, I'm pretty confident the Michelin pump is pretty accurate.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:25 am

markeg wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:06 am

I have TPMS on my car - so if the Michelin pump, digital gauge and TPMS are all stating the same reading, I'm pretty confident the Michelin pump is pretty accurate.
A pretty reckless attitude :wink:

....... But seriously apart from using well rated gauges etc as you do what's the alternative? :?

at the end of the day providing the tyre is within the specified range (which it's bound to be if you are using the pump plus a gauge) it's down to how you set up your preferences anyway. Then the most important thing is that pressures are the same on the axle pair.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:58 am

ph001 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:50 pm I hope that Michelin one is better than the Michelin one I bought a couple of years ago. You can set the desired pressure on the front panel and the pump will auto cutoff when it reaches the set pressure

Except for when it doesn’t work, and blows your tyre out 🤬. I was bent down next to it trying to figure out why it was taking so long when it literally blew me off my feet. Also had grit in my eyes for a couple of days.

Not a good experience I can tell you.
0A626576-6F53-41D8-B123-82E7D3FA469D.jpeg
FCD28EA1-BED0-4165-9AB4-A1D18350A28D.jpeg
RIP to this man's thumb :cry:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:02 am

I have a ring 630 tyre inflator. It's been in my car for at least 5 years. Gets a fair bit of use pumping up my tyres, work colleagues tyres and also footballs.

A friend used it last year and then used his Michelin tyre pressure gauge afterwards. He said the ring 630 was within 0.5psi of the stated pressure, which is good enough for me.

It does only go up to 35psi, which can be annoying. But I usually go for 32 front, 34 rear in my tyres anyway, so it's not an issue for me.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

TR4man

Post by TR4man » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:58 am

Ewazix wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:25 am
markeg wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:06 am

A pretty reckless attitude :wink:

....... But seriously apart from using well rated gauges etc as you do what's the alternative? :?

at the end of the day providing the tyre is within the specified range (which it's bound to be if you are using the pump plus a gauge) it's down to how you set up your preferences anyway. Then the most important thing is that pressures are the same on the axle pair.
Very true.

So you may as well just carry on using the ones on petrol station forecourts which are likely to be just as accurate as those we use at home as none of them are calibrated.

Theog

Post by Theog » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for this feedback.

I was near halfords the other day so thought I would just go ahead and get one. I went for the slightly more expensive one (£46 http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... e-inflator) as it has functions to remember the pressures. I think with the cheaper one it only pumps and doesn't stop at designated X PSI. This one remembers the pressure and pumps / releases where necessary (this is what the guy said anyways). I think it pumps quicker too, so I thought £10 is probably good given my impatient nature.

So far I have been quite happy with the initial usage of it. It pumps from 0-30 psi in ~3mins, so it was quite quick going from 32 to 34 etc.

Cables are long (to sig light), but you have to pass the unit through each side of the door for them to reach left and right wheels. If only it was ~1m longer could pump each side. Very small factor, but just thought I would mention.

Rather than buying a separate pressure gauge, I might pop down to my local tyre place and compare it to what this one says, then do the same in 5 months time or so. See if there are any differences.

If there are, then I may buy a separate gauge..... to be honest, I will buy one anyways because they look useful, but I will probably save that as an additional toy to play with down the line.

On a slight side note, does anyone have an experience with third party tyre pressure systems? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tyre-Pressure- ... 7108279031

Might be quite good just to monitor variations. Or are these generally terrible?

Thanks

T