Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

WiFi : Netgear Orbi or Ubiquiti UniFi

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 pm

I use the Ubiquiti USG and the UAP-AC-LR (long range).... I was going to add another but the fact that you can put it wherever you have network (centre of the house for me) means I don't need another. Previously my ASUS router struggled as it was in one corner and I'd get drop-outs in the opposite side of the house.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:40 pm

I just counted, I have 7 wireless APs in the house and still have dead spots all over the place as every internal wall is double brick. I do think having a Ubiquiti upstairs might be better as it would beam down through the floorboards better than going sideways through walls.

Am I correct in assuming that the handover is better? I have terrible trouble that between the house and my office I have dead spots where it hangs on for dear life on the house wifi whilst the office wifi is in reach and much stronger at that point, but it will not switch unless I force it.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:27 pm

I have bought 3 of them now to see if they can replace my 7 existing ones.

Thanks again all for the very useful info in here.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:53 pm

The UniFi stuff is a geeks paradise... they keep adding new features week by week, and it does IPS, IDS, guest portals (charge you guests for WiFi, LOL!), VLANs, not to mention all sorts of metrics about your connection and what's going on on your network.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:03 pm

Got my Ubiquiti AC Pro configured and installed today. Mounted it at the apex of the attic (as per Adam D :thumbsup:) bit of tweaking and performance is very nice. Been playing with all the additional information screens in the management software - very nice.

No doubt there will be more tweaking to be done over the next few weeks - may not need a second AP, but I might get one anyway just to play with some of the roaming functionality :roll:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:51 pm

Can you guys let me know how hot these things run?, there was one guy on Amazon reviews that returned his as it was really hot, I did wonder if he was taking power from a PoE switch rather than the supplied power adapter & injector, maybe there's a voltage regulator that's only used if using supplied PoE?

I'm tempted with one of these, not that the Wi-Fi from my Virgin Media Superhub 2 gives me any particular issues.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:11 pm

Don't be alarmed if you see a high %age of Tx Retry/Dropped packets reported on the 5Ghz band by the Ubiquiti management console - it appears to be a minor bug in the accounting routines and the number of recorded dropped packets can climb rapidly when no clients are connected to the 5Ghz channel. This doesn't affect the 2.4Ghz channel reporting...

Not a biggie but if it saves someone else the hour I spent trying to work out WTF was happening.... :wink:
Alpina Roadster S #320

bradz

Post by bradz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:23 pm

TonyP wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:51 pm Can you guys let me know how hot these things run?, there was one guy on Amazon reviews that returned his as it was really hot, I did wonder if he was taking power from a PoE switch rather than the supplied power adapter & injector, maybe there's a voltage regulator that's only used if using supplied PoE?

I'm tempted with one of these, not that the Wi-Fi from my Virgin Media Superhub 2 gives me any particular issues.
Mine has a slight temperature, its certainly not hot though, Powered by the UniFi Hub.
Z4M Coupe, E92 M3, E46 M3 Track car :driving:

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:35 pm

bradz wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:23 pm
TonyP wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:51 pm Can you guys let me know how hot these things run?, there was one guy on Amazon reviews that returned his as it was really hot, I did wonder if he was taking power from a PoE switch rather than the supplied power adapter & injector, maybe there's a voltage regulator that's only used if using supplied PoE?

Mine has a slight temperature, its certainly not hot though, Powered by the UniFi Hub.
Thanks for coming back to me :thumbsup:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:48 am

Just about to order mine. Have the option of 3 year hosted cloud controller. Is this foc after the 3 years, and is it worth having?

Mike

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:01 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:48 am Just about to order mine. Have the option of 3 year hosted cloud controller. Is this foc after the 3 years, and is it worth having?
If you're talking about the broadbandbuyer offer - the hosted cloud controller service is owned by them (not Ubiquiti) and there is a per-device cost after the initial 3-year period.

I didn't bother with the hosted cloud controller - Personally, I can't see that I'll need to manage the APs from anywhere else than on-site so I installed the management software on a local server. There is also the option of the cloud key which is a small network-attached management software appliance (£73 from broadbandbuyer, a fiver cheaper from Amazon)
Alpina Roadster S #320

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:34 am

PerryGunn wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:01 am
Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:48 am Just about to order mine. Have the option of 3 year hosted cloud controller. Is this foc after the 3 years, and is it worth having?
If you're talking about the broadbandbuyer offer - the hosted cloud controller service is owned by them (not Ubiquiti) and there is a per-device cost after the initial 3-year period.

I didn't bother with the hosted cloud controller - Personally, I can't see that I'll need to manage the APs from anywhere else than on-site so I installed the management software on a local server. There is also the option of the cloud key which is a small network-attached management software appliance (£73 from broadbandbuyer, a fiver cheaper from Amazon)
:thumbsup: ordered with the cloud, but if it's no use to me I'll cancel after the 3 years.

Mike

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Sat May 19, 2018 7:16 am

For those of you that ordered a few weeks ago & so have had a chance to use these in a real world environment are you now able to comment on how stable & effective these Ubiquity devices are?

Paul (PVR) how are you finding the handoff from one device to the other please?

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sat May 19, 2018 7:45 am

I have never had an issue, current uptime is 110 days (power cut). Will update my cloud key and AP firmware this weekend.
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat May 19, 2018 8:08 am

Completely stable - after a bit of initial fiddling/playing with with settings, more as experimentation than anything else, it just works.

Signal strength in the kitchen extension is better although still a bit on the low side so I'll undoubtedly end up getting another to expand the coverage area.
Alpina Roadster S #320