Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

WiFi : Netgear Orbi or Ubiquiti UniFi

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 pm

After a few years of having multiple wireless APs (single SSID) around the house, I've been looking at options such as the Netgear Orbi RBK50/RBK53 and the Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro kit (also their AmpliFi Mesh kit) - I have the infrastructure and technical background to setup and manage these but I think Ubiquiti may be a bit OTT for home use.

I don't necessarily need wireless backhaul as I can provide wired gigabit ethernet backhaul connections so I'm quite flexible regarding other options but I'd like transparent handoff to the strongest/fastest AP as I move around the house (as opposed to my current multiple independent AP setup where clients tend to retain their connection to their current AP even if a faster one is available)

Opinions/comments welcome, especially from anyone who has real-world experience of these system and how transparently they handoff between APs when moving between rooms/floors
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:48 pm

For what it’s worth, I went with Ubiquiti for my single AP setup based on feedback from work. I have a deep technical background too, just not in wireless, so went with the consensus from a few guys that do. I got the impression that UniFi is a proper contender in the pro AP market against the likes of Meraki etc, but usually at a lower price point and with fewer bells and whistles. Ubiquiti have a £70 AP now so I went for it and it’s been rock solid for weeks. It was dead easy to set up and PoE is a nice bonus.

I don’t have an experience of the higher end Netgear stuff and I’ll freely admit that my view of them has been tainted by using many sub-£50 products of theirs over the years, ranging from terrible to ok, but never exceptional.

Incidentally, we have Cisco kit in the office and the handoff and client capacity (we have gone IoT crazy) are amazing, but you’re talking megabucks.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:45 pm

A single ubiquiti ac pro installed in the loft covers my 4 bed house, great piece of kit and very stable.
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:07 am

Thanks for the replies people

MrPT - I tend to agree about NetGear products and, although the reviews have been positive, I'm a little concerned about NetGear's commitment to their products as they have a habit of stopping provision of updates soon after a product goes out of production.

Adam D - thanks for the info on real-world coverage (does your house have solid or studwork/dry-lined internal walls?)

Looks like I'll be going for the Ubiquiti AC Pro then. As it's likely to have better range & performance than my current APs, I think I'll start with a single unit and add a second if my solid internal walls make it necessary.
Alpina Roadster S #320

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:44 am

Solid walls, previously I tried a netgear nighthawk D7800 and found it unable to reach the rear rooms upstairs.

Mounting the access point up high in the roof gives full coverage for house, garden and a reasonable distance away.
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

bradz

Post by bradz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:18 am

I have installed Fortinet & Ubiquity AP's in some pretty big places in the UK including Manchester Arena and Bridge Water hall.

The Fortinet stuff is superb but expensive, With external aerial the range and strength is superb!

I love the Ubiquity stuff though, The controller is superb and easy to setup, the cost is very reasonable compared to cisco etc, I run this at home AC -Pro with 2x AP's - Love the way you can move between two AP's seamlessly.

Excuse the half finished job @ Bridge water hall.

Adam
Attachments
20180118_085643.jpg
20180118_085643.jpg (201.19 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Z4M Coupe, E92 M3, E46 M3 Track car :driving:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:06 am

You mean something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NETWO ... iti+AC+Pro

Seems very cheap though, I have great difficulty in getting WiFi everywhere and have about 6 APs at the moment that still do not reach all areas.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:36 am

pvr wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:06 am You mean something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NETWO ... iti+AC+Pro

Seems very cheap though, I have great difficulty in getting WiFi everywhere and have about 6 APs at the moment that still do not reach all areas.
That's the one - although I've ordered from broadbandbuyer as I'd rather pay a little more and get it from somewhere I've used before and trust

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products ... ap-ac-pro/
Alpina Roadster S #320

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:18 am

Might add one of those to test, I have a PoE switch available so see how it goes. My £300 Dlink job is huge but has poor range (but is stable, never needs rebooting). The Apple ones - pure cr*p, needs a reboot every week.

Would you add a number of those to cover various areas or go for the cheaper AP?
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:28 pm

pvr wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:18 am Might add one of those to test, I have a PoE switch available so see how it goes. My £300 Dlink job is huge but has poor range (but is stable, never needs rebooting). The Apple ones - pure cr*p, needs a reboot every week.

Would you add a number of those to cover various areas or go for the cheaper AP?
I'll add more Ubiquiti APs if I need them - easier to manage that way as they all share a single controller application that keeps settings synced between APs...

The model I linked comes with a PoE injector, you can get a model without the injector (the UAP-AC-PRO-E) but it's only about £5 cheaper - even if you have PoE switches, it's always worth having spare power injectors and you can't buy decent ones for a fiver. :)

Nice home-biased review here even if it is over two years old and there have been a number of firmware/software updates since then
Alpina Roadster S #320

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Reading all of this, its actually starting to annoy me a bit that half the country is using crappy BT, Sky or Virgin Media APs which need restarting every five mins and a range extender so that you can browse Z4 forum on the can. Under £100 could make most people’s issues go away.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Very useful thread for me and thanks for the info guys, it is something that I have struggled with over the years as well buying various units that usually are not up to the job.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 pm

Fancy the Ubiquiti Pro myself, nightmare getting good wireless here, especially with the kids battering it. Think when I last checked we had 30 devices connected :o

Mike

markalp

Post by markalp » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:58 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 pm Fancy the Ubiquiti Pro myself, nightmare getting good wireless here, especially with the kids battering it. Think when I last checked we had 30 devices connected :o

Mike
30!!!! That would be your free loading neighbours :D
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:56 am

markalp wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:58 am
Ducklakeview wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 pm Fancy the Ubiquiti Pro myself, nightmare getting good wireless here, especially with the kids battering it. Think when I last checked we had 30 devices connected :o

Mike
30!!!! That would be your free loading neighbours :D
Lol, its just our devices, have had the "checking mac addresses" thing..

Mike