Average speed cameras

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
warmasice

Average speed cameras

Post by warmasice » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:42 am

pvr wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:20 am
I have never seen an average speed camera in 30 limits though, always at 40 - 50 only. Drives me mad.
I've been along 30 av speed zones. Feels like a crawl, but guess they're there for the right reasons.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Average speed cameras

Post by Nictrix » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:17 pm

mmm-five wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:09 am
Lazza wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:15 am
Here’s an interesting thought... speed cameras probe that speeding isn’t really an offence. The real offence is getting caught! Hear me out!
If you were being followed by a police car, speeding over a fair stretch of road, when they do pull you over you will get a single speeding ticket (ignoring any Dangerous Driving / Due Care & Attention they might throw at you) but if there were 3 cameras on that stretch, you would get 3 tickets. Even if you could prove that the timing of those 3 tickets prove that you only exceeded the speed limit once, you get a ticket for each time you are caught!

This isn’t meant to actually mean anything meaningful, just thought it was interesting :thumbsup:
Whilst you may get a ticket for each one...you can ask to have them all treated as the same offence.

Of course 3 tickets over the course of a 10 mile average speed camera zone is one thing, but 3 tickets over the course of a 200 mile Welsh/Scottish hoon might be another :driving:
This is a problem with static cameras as well. You might not know you have been done and batter around all day and get caught again later.
If you knew you had already been caught earlier you may have took it easier later on.
A similar thing to this happened to someone I know who was out for the day on his bike on roads he didnt know. He went through a speed camera on his way to his destination getting flashed and then got flashed again on his way home. If he had known he had been done he wouldnt have got caught the second time.
I hate all these average speed cameras, static cameras and radar guns. The police should be out on the road and actually have to catch you speeding.
Staic cameras are put in accident hot spotsto reduce the speed. But people stop looking at their surroundings and look at their speedo to make sure they are not going to get done.
What is more dangerous? Speeding slightly or taking your eyes off the road?
E89 2010 23i M Sport Black with Black leather

Nanu

Average speed cameras

Post by Nanu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:37 pm

Speed doesn't kill it's bad driving that does. Yes if you hit someone then the faster you are going will make a difference to the outcome but I would still argue that a bad driver is more dangerous than a speeding driver.
35is Valencia Orange - Black/Orange Alcantara & leather interior and full set of toys
Previous
E89 25i White
E89 28i Crimson

buzyg
Lifer
Lifer

Average speed cameras

Post by buzyg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Had the pleasure of the new permanent average speed cameras on the M5 at Exeter, Halden Hill, yesterday. Where they are makes perfect sense to me, having had a car break away sideways, on that stretch many years ago. Happily I held it, but all I was doing was going to fast down the hill, where the cameras now limit your speed. :roll: So no objections here, to others like the young me being discouraged. :wink:

Nanu

Average speed cameras

Post by Nanu » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:00 pm

Slightly off subject but still speed camera issue on smart motorways.
Just drove down to Birmingham this morning on the M1 and there is a long stretch of smart motorway south of Sheffield / Notts area. Does anyone know if speed cameras are switched on if there are no speed restrictions being displayed? I did notice everyone slowing down when approaching the gantries just in case but it gets annoying after a while so it would be nice to know. I wasn't speeding of course. :oops:

Secondly I have seen cameras on the gantries over each lane but on this stretch there were two cameras mounted on about each forth gantry well hidden on the nearside only.
35is Valencia Orange - Black/Orange Alcantara & leather interior and full set of toys
Previous
E89 25i White
E89 28i Crimson