Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another one bites the dust. Thieving scum.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed May 02, 2018 11:48 pm

Enjoy the new one !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Thu May 03, 2018 12:59 pm

s**t only just seen this. ***** mate.
I don't get the appeal with them. The engines are common esp the 1.6T which comes from the Smax and the 2.0T comes in a Kuga as well.
Salvage prices on them are actually low unlike the Audis where people wanted the boxes and bumpers.

I haven't heard from colleagues in Romania and Bulgaria seeing any RHD turbo Ford's flying around unlike Audi Rs.

Unless there are a few being cloned and sold off as stolen motors here.

Seems the I my sure way to protect a motor now is now to remove the obd port which I did or swap the steering wheel for a snap off momo job.

Ford need to get their s**t together with this. Like a 2 key max coding to the car, which requires an original key code to be removed prior to a new one being used and then even having them encrypted.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Thu May 03, 2018 6:25 pm

ben g wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:01 pm Just an update to this, the finish the saga...

Her insurance company offered £13560 for the car. Took it straight away as it was a decent price.

They paid the outstanding finance off and then send us a cheque for the money left over.

Taking away our insurance excess and the full year premium which we've now lost (we purchased the insurance 12 days before it got stolen), we've come away with almost £1800.

That will most likely be absorbed in the next few year's increased insurance premiums, so it's not a benefit for us, but what can you do? :headbang:

The missus put a deposit down on an Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde last week and then decided she didn't want it :headbang: So we lost £250 there. She then saw a Mercedes A class AMG sport DCT, which she loved, so she's decided to purchase that instead. Slower than the Fiesta ST, but more practical for her and us going forward.

Hoping to pick it up Saturday :thumbsup:

Can't wait to finally move on and put this behind us!
Had two car stolen... it's a real pain in the backside. Anyway, I am glad to read that the matter is closed and behind you guys. Enjoy the new car! :driving:
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Fri May 04, 2018 7:42 am

Monkeydonkeyratmagic wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:59 pm s**t only just seen this. ***** mate.
I don't get the appeal with them. The engines are common esp the 1.6T which comes from the Smax and the 2.0T comes in a Kuga as well.
Salvage prices on them are actually low unlike the Audis where people wanted the boxes and bumpers.

I haven't heard from colleagues in Romania and Bulgaria seeing any RHD turbo Ford's flying around unlike Audi Rs.

Seems the I my sure way to protect a motor now is now to remove the obd port which I did or swap the steering wheel for a snap off momo job.

Ford need to get their s**t together with this. Like a 2 key max coding to the car, which requires an original key code to be removed prior to a new one being used and then even having them encrypted.
Excuse my ignorance but "remove the OBD port"? Never heard of that. What does it do? Do you put it back on when you need codes scanned? Is it easy to do?

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Fri May 04, 2018 8:01 am

Courageous wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:42 am
Monkeydonkeyratmagic wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:59 pm s**t only just seen this. ***** mate.

Excuse my ignorance but "remove the OBD port"? Never heard of that. What does it do? Do you put it back on when you need codes scanned? Is it easy to do?
I believe you can move it from it's current position, so thieves can't just smash a window and plug straight in.

The security on these cars is diabolical and I'm surprised Ford (and other marque's) have been able to bury their heads in the sand over it. I suppose it pays to keep quiet.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Fri May 04, 2018 8:08 am

Ok, so there's a fad for breaking into someone else's car to read their codes? I suppose some get addicted to Corrie. Takes all sorts :rofl:

Thanks for the explanation Ben :thumbsup:

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Fri May 04, 2018 10:29 am

Courageous wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:42 am

Its removed as a port. I brought some kit that changes it from a male / female connection to a male / male so no OBD tools will fit into it. It came custom made so the adapter is unique to my car and my car only. So if anyone really wants to steal it they'll have to come and get it off me, but I'd imagine at first chance at it they'd give up.

The most retarded part is you'd think all ford really need to do is make it so the doors are properly dead unless unlocked without a key. Even my old 94 rover 220 turbo coupe couldn't be opened from the inside if it was locked ffs.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Fri May 04, 2018 10:50 am

Excellent stuff Monkey! Sounds like a great idea. I had no idea they could bypass the imo via the OBD port!

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Fri May 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Courageous wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:50 am Excellent stuff Monkey! Sounds like a great idea. I had no idea they could bypass the imo via the OBD port!
They use a key programmer. They just plug it in to the port and pull the key codes. Then they just code a key to the car in seconds and off they go.
Just Google audi rs4 gone in 60s. All captured on cctv
MR-2 Turbo Rev2